Watkins - get him signed | Page 3 | Vital Football

Watkins - get him signed

Pope John XXIII - 9/7/2017 22:20

Jimmy Gordon - 9/7/2017 22:15

Pope John XXIII - 9/7/2017 21:59

Jimmy Gordon - 9/7/2017 21:52

Championship is not all that

Look how we stayed up last season with all the shit signings and mercenaries and bad karma

And because we had Britt Assombalonga scoring 14 goals

Yet the season before he barely played in an equally shite squad and only scored 1 goal and we stayed up?

He ain't the be all and end all

No, we had Oliviera instead

So a striker scoring 8 goals kept us up that season?

Is that all we need from our strikers to stay up

Im sure either one of Cummings or Watkins can manage that?

In fact both of them could

Jimmy Gordon - 10/7/2017 06:22

Pope John XXIII - 9/7/2017 22:20

Jimmy Gordon - 9/7/2017 22:15

Pope John XXIII - 9/7/2017 21:59

Jimmy Gordon - 9/7/2017 21:52

Championship is not all that

Look how we stayed up last season with all the shit signings and mercenaries and bad karma

And because we had Britt Assombalonga scoring 14 goals

Yet the season before he barely played in an equally shite squad and only scored 1 goal and we stayed up?

He ain't the be all and end all

No, we had Oliviera instead

So a striker scoring 8 goals kept us up that season?

Is that all we need from our strikers to stay up

Im sure either one of Cummings or Watkins can manage that?

In fact both of them could

Oliviera scored 9 in 29, so a goal every three games.

How certain can you be that Watkins or Cummings can score 1 in 3?

And that was in a team set up to counter-attack and defend a 1-0 lead. The defence was the focal point. 9 goals was enough in a team like that.

You aren't going to get that defensive solidity with Warburton or a team of 'young guns'.

One of my old bosses was a Man Utd fan who constantly bleated about 'you dont win anything with kids' from the 95-6 season as a reason to hire exclusively young staff.

But people forget that in that youthful Man Utd side their front line was led by Cantona and Andy Cole.

You can't piss about when it comes to scoring goals.

By all means, get these youngsters in. But you need an established player somewhere so when someone asks 'where are the goals coming from' you have a certain answer. You can't sign these kids and then say 'it's on your shoulders to keep us up'

But Britt was only 21 ish when we signed him

Oliveira 23

These aren't senior/experienced strikers who we signed to lead our line last few seasons

The experienced ones we have signed have been disasters by and large

I agree. Watkins looks to have much more potential than Cumdog. Cumdog didn't look like he was ever marked, so he will have to learn to play against defenders that actually bother defending sometimes in the Championship.

We don't need 1 striker a season to score 1 in 3 playing less than 2 thirds of our games

2 strikers scoring 1 in 4 goals each playing most of our games would give us more than we need

There's plenty of ways to skin a cat Pope

As for experienced strikers being the answer - djebbour, Fryatt, o'grady bendtner age 30, 28, 29, 28 and 11 goals between the lot of them

Cummings only needs to score 4 goals next season to beat their fookin average!

All this can watkins and cummings score the 14 goals britt did ? One big massive thing you are over looking , BRERETON this kid is the real deal play him down the middle he is going to be England CF in years to come . He had a few games at end of last season and put in twice as much effort as Britt. He can score all types of goals and his workrate is brilliant. Sell Brit for anything over 15million . Sign a Watkins type player , use the money to get the CM we need , Hector on loan and the squad looks overall better . If derby are bidding for Jota get in before them .

Of course re Brereton

He's a bonus that he's still on board

But at only 19 ish needs time to find his scoring boots etc in the Championship

Still early days for him

I don't think Watkins plays as an out and out striker anyway (certainly not when I've seen him) so that needs taking into account when looking at his goal record.

He'd certainly be on my list of targets but it doesn't seem as though we're interested.

Depends how much we get for Britt as to whether £5m is a gamble I suppose. He does look decent though to be fair.

Leeds, villa, sheff Utd, Bristol,City and Derby all in the running for him allegedly

He won't be going for 2m to 3m with that interest

Hence why I expect it's going to take 5m to land him

And someone will pay it

And in the near future will double or treble their money or more

Jimmy Gordon - 10/7/2017 21:24

Leeds, villa, sheff Utd and Derby all in the running for him

And someone will pay it

For £5m I want a bit more than 25 goals in two seasons in League two and you romanticising about Collymore.

Why has his goal rate dropped off in his second season? That would be my first question.

And if he isn't an out and out striker as some have said, what do we want him for when we have Clough and Brereton who play that 'bursting into the box' role?

Get me a reliable goalscorer and I'll take a chance on anybody but reminiscing about the mid 90's isn't a valid transfer policy

Pope John XXIII - 10/7/2017 21:27

And someone will pay it

For £5m I want a bit more than 25 goals in two seasons in League two and you romanticising about Collymore.

Why has his goal rate dropped off in his second season? That would be my first question.

And if he isn't an out and out striker as some have said, what do we want him for when we have Clough and Brereton who play that 'bursting into the box' role?

Get me a reliable goalscorer and I'll take a chance on anybody but reminiscing about the mid 90's isn't a valid transfer policy

Popey you aren't factoring in my trained eye to spot a player!

This lads got something special imo

In the very unlikely event we sign him I will be proved right

If we don't then hopefully I'm not saying I told you so in a couple of years time

:14:

Jimmy Gordon - 10/7/2017 21:39

And someone will pay it

If we don't then hopefully I'm not saying I told you so in a couple of years time

You're wasted building garages, Wolfie.

BlackGold - 11/7/2017 00:07

Jimmy Gordon - 10/7/2017 21:39

And someone will pay it

You're wasted building garages, Wolfie.

I just do it to keep myself grounded and part of the real world BG

Bit like when Daniel day Lewis spent a few years working as a cobbler between films

It's my downtime

It's so rewarding

I started off by learning how to put an ikea wardrobe together

Then I built a wooden shed

Now it's garages

I don't charge for the service. I just love putting something back into society

It's just a hobby

But sadly as you can imagine I'm inundated with celebrities asking me to build their garages

I'm doing one for Syd Little at the moment