VAR | Page 2 | Vital Football

VAR

If the system gets the decision right more often than a ref or lino then im all for it, despite the inevitable teething problems. It will become second nature in no time Im sure and the fact the idea in offsides for example was to play on and then look after the event (goal) suggests they have the right ideas about it. When ot settles down hopefully we will just be down to those one or two decisions we have in every game and we will see that 'justice' mentioned

the problem is as a sport they are completely screwing up the use of the technology

4th official in rugby works fine

referral system in hockey works fine

i like the idea of it...think of lampards clear goal against the germans in the world cup

the worst part of it all is not flagging when offside but letting play continue

the problem is as a sport they are completely screwing up the use of the technology

4th official in rugby works fine

referral system in hockey works fine

i like the idea of it...think of lampards clear goal against the germans in the world cup

the worst part of it all is not flagging when offside but letting play continue

The implementation of the 4th official in Rugby had teething problems when first introduced; now it works fine and is an integral part of the game.

This has happened at a time when the standard of refereeing in Rugby has been improving; the polar opposite to what has been happening with the standard of refereeing in Football.

Notwithstanding the fact that referees are under far more scrutiny than they ever have been, the accuracy and consistency of the officials leaves a lot to be desired.

I would bet that a far, far greater number of games get ruined by poor refereeing than they do by having to wait a short while to get the decision correct.

The implementation of the 4th official in Rugby had teething problems when first introduced; now it works fine and is an integral part of the game.

This has happened at a time when the standard of refereeing in Rugby has been improving; the polar opposite to what has been happening with the standard of refereeing in Football.

Notwithstanding the fact that referees are under far more scrutiny than they ever have been, the accuracy and consistency of the officials leaves a lot to be desired.

I would bet that a far, far greater number of games get ruined by poor refereeing than they do by having to wait a short while to get the decision correct.

Are you still labouring under the impression that VAR will magically enable every decision to be called perfectly?

It will absolutely still be subjective on many occasions.

Are you still labouring under the impression that VAR will magically enable every decision to be called perfectly?

It will absolutely still be subjective on many occasions.

As it is in other sports where video intervention is used; so long as key decisions, which decide games, are correct, VAR is a step in the right direction.

I would have thought that someone with your background would embrace change.

Last edited:
As it is in other sports where video intervention is used; so long as key decisions, which decide games, are correct, VAR is a step in the right direction.

I would have thought that someone with your background would embrace change.

I have reservations on a number of levels:

Gameflow
Accuracy
Further differentiating between different leagues

Cricket for instance has a very different pace, it's also far less subjective. Did the ball pitch in line, was there a nice etc.

I think goalline technology is definitive and quick, debating the merits of a penalty far less so.

I have reservations on a number of levels:

Gameflow
Accuracy
Further differentiating between different leagues

Cricket for instance has a very different pace, it's also far less subjective. Did the ball pitch in line, was there a nice etc.

I think goalline technology is definitive and quick, debating the merits of a penalty far less so.

I agree that it is far from perfect, but is that sufficient grounds for its abolition?

Gameflow is the obvious cause for concern but that is not an insurmountable problem.

i think the worst part is how teams can ask for a referral...

personally...and its only my view...I think it should be ref back up if hes unsure

it shouldnt be a clutching at straws/hail mary from the defending team

i think the worst part is how teams can ask for a referral...

personally...and its only my view...I think it should be ref back up if hes unsure

it shouldnt be a clutching at straws/hail mary from the defending team

I have not seen that happen; do you have an example?

It's summer (so cold and wet), I'm bored, there's no women's world cup thread, so I'll post this here.

Nigeria's second goal v Korea is amazing - quick break, striker running through with pace, power, past the keeper but surely too wide to shoot.

Still running at full speed, she caresses the ball so that it curls back into the net from an impossible angle.

Makes a rainy day worthwhile to see skill like that.

It's summer (so cold and wet), I'm bored, there's no women's world cup thread, so I'll post this here.

Nigeria's second goal v Korea is amazing - quick break, striker running through with pace, power, past the keeper but surely too wide to shoot.

Still running at full speed, she caresses the ball so that it curls back into the net from an impossible angle.

Makes a rainy day worthwhile to see skill like that.

Rather watch paint dry.
Which i do a lot of.

Then why bother having any rules or laws in the first place?

The number of seconds used up in a game checking decisions is far less than than those used up by players rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured, or is that part of the entertainment?

Was watching Brazil v Bolivia last night in the Copa America.

About 3 minutes waiting for a VAR penalty decision. I was hoping the ref would add on extra time for the infuriating pause in play, but he didn't. (n)

I have got to say I can't quite decide. On the one hand the worst blight on the game for me has always been cheating. It's the most embarrassing thing for me, and at least this goes some way towards addressing it. On the other hand it does effect the flow. You can't compare to rugby or hockey as they have much more breaks in them anyway, penalty corners, scrums etc. As with all things it needs to be applied properly before throwing it out, and to say cheating is only a recent phenomenon is rubbish, it's blighted the sport for tens of years. Keep VAR but just apply to obvious off sides, hand balls and focus on the cheats with a 10 game ban for any cheating scumbag. That rules Robinson and cash out till October though.

Does Var improve the quality of the game ? Yes, in my opinion. Simples, even though it might interrupt the flow at times.
Everything has a price.

with a 10 game ban for any cheating scumbag. That rules Robinson and cash out till October though.

I remember 'almost' getting booked once for handball, (the ball went in fr a goal so the ref just had a word) it was just a brain spazz reaction, no way its a long ban when its just instinctive. Theres differences even there