VAR | Page 3 | Vital Football

VAR

So what about the retaken French (womens) penalty ? Think VAR is great, but they do need to look at the rules. Goalies can't be allowed to rush out, but short of being static, it must be nigh on impossible to stand with both feet on the line ! I would challenge MOTD to go through every penalty last season, and see if they can find one that has been scored legally scored (ie NO player from the attacking team encroaching in the box).

So what about the retaken French (womens) penalty ? Think VAR is great, but they do need to look at the rules. Goalies can't be allowed to rush out, but short of being static, it must be nigh on impossible to stand with both feet on the line ! I would challenge MOTD to go through every penalty last season, and see if they can find one that has been scored legally scored (ie NO player from the attacking team encroaching in the box).
It’s a bit like at the 2018 World Cup in one respect. Holding in the box almost vanished as the penalties started to flow.

The keeper can start behind the line but can’t cross it until the ball has been struck. I would guess though that keepers aren’t trained to do that though because it’s all about grabbing advantages. If VAR has its way they will soon have to and I can’t say I have too much of a problem with it.

It’s a bit like at the 2018 World Cup in one respect. Holding in the box almost vanished as the penalties started to flow.

The keeper can start behind the line but can’t cross it until the ball has been struck. I would guess though that keepers aren’t trained to do that though because it’s all about grabbing advantages. If VAR has its way they will soon have to and I can’t say I have too much of a problem with it.

The keeper CANNOT stand behind the line. The new rule states that the gk must have one foot ON the line (or if jumping in line with the line), but can move one step with one foot. So if the gk jumps, but comes down an inch behind the line before the penalty is taken, the penalty should be retaken if missed !

The keeper CANNOT stand behind the line. The new rule states that the gk must have one foot ON the line (or if jumping in line with the line), but can move one step with one foot. So if the gk jumps, but comes down an inch behind the line before the penalty is taken, the penalty should be retaken if missed !
When did that change?

If the keeper moves but the penalty is scored I would give the goal. The ref should also be talking to the keeper and/or considering a booking. Harsh but it would stop that side of it.

Similarly if other players run into the box before the kick is taken..

When did that change?

If the keeper moves but the penalty is scored I would give the goal. The ref should also be talking to the keeper and/or considering a booking. Harsh but it would stop that side of it.

Similarly if other players run into the box before the kick is taken..

The changes are effective for this season coming

Yes, and the only way of policing that effectively is with VAR; should be fun in games were VAR is not used.

The changes are effective for this season coming
Ah right, thanks. That explains it. Haven’t taken the time yet to read the rule updates but that one seems a bit of a strange one.

They have never been able to police penalties properly but maybe VAR will make the difference.

That another problem though. if you watch the second penalty that was scored & awarded as a goal there was encroachment by a French player so if VAR is being used correctly it should have been taken for a 3rd time, so why wasn't it?

Anyone watching the Copa America? 1-0 down, Uruguay given a penalty after lengthy VAR review, after Cavani basically kicked a Japan defender (who got a yellow). Laughable...

The salient parts appear in the second paragraph:

"I don’t think I have ever been as incensed by a football rule in my life."

So its the rule that's the problem and not VAR

"I was a fan of VAR at last year’s World Cup: coming in at the right time, cleaning up refereeing errors and making the game more objective."

That's the spirit!

"But using it to interpret the new changes to the law covering penalties is ridiculous."

So much for objectivity!

The salient parts appear in the second paragraph:

"I don’t think I have ever been as incensed by a football rule in my life."

So its the rule that's the problem and not VAR

"I was a fan of VAR at last year’s World Cup: coming in at the right time, cleaning up refereeing errors and making the game more objective."

That's the spirit!

"But using it to interpret the new changes to the law covering penalties is ridiculous."

So much for objectivity!

I thought it an interesting perspective from a professional. It's an opinion piece so obviously it'll be subjective lol

VAR misused at the women's world cup. Cameroon goal v England disallowed for fractional offside in the build up after initially given. Extremely harsh. Cameroon already incensed by England goal disallowed for offside, then (correctly) given after VAR.

Nigeria badly served by VAR (especially against host nation France who were

given a dodgy penalty which the ref hadn't given

allowed to retake it after missing via outside of post, as the keeper's back foot was inches off the line).

Perceptions of African nations will be that VAR is being used against them.

VAR misused at the women's world cup. Cameroon goal v England disallowed for fractional offside in the build up after initially given. Extremely harsh. Cameroon already incensed by England goal disallowed for offside, then (correctly) given after VAR.

Nigeria badly served by VAR (especially against host nation France who were

given a dodgy penalty which the ref hadn't given

allowed to retake it after missing via outside of post, as the keeper's back foot was inches off the line).

Perceptions of African nations will be that VAR is being used against them.

This is the VAR we like in Africa.

I actually thought this England Cameroon game was the first in which I was impressed with VAR- except that by the middle of the second half the ref clearly didn't dare give any marginal decisions England's way due to Cameroon's disgraceful behaviour and already claiming racism

Hang on....why are Japan in copa America?

Apparently a couple of slots are by invite. Which is why USA and Mexico are missing for example. I love watching Mexico but discovered they’re not even in it, with Japan and Qatar getting the invites this time around by virtue of being the the top two sides from the Asia cup...