VAR | Vital Football

VAR

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
Is absolutely crap and ruining games IMO.

Sorry, I know lots of you are going to love the certainty of it.

But VAR is draining the life and excitement out of games by applying such minute precise criteria. Games finishing 0-0 because goals are ruled out for a toe offside or the slightest of contact in the box.

Football is an entertainment sport, not a court of law. No one's life is on the line for this. A lot of money, but what does that really matter? The game is meant to have uncertainty.

The England offside the other night. Had an SBC team scored that against forest and got away with it would I have felt aggrieved? Not a bit. What difference does a toe make? A totally acceptable refereeing miss that made no real difference to the goal being scored.

The goal today. Had that gone against us, would I have been aggrieved? Nope, I would never have even known about the tiny contact in the box leading up to it.

Do I feel aggrieved as a fan at a goal being scored and then having to wait 2 minutes to see if it's actually a goal or not? Yes I do. Will I feel aggreived at a perfectly reasonable goal chalked off for the tiniest infraction in a contact sport? Yes I bloody will.

Flip it over- goal goes against us but is chalked off for the same thing. Am I happy? I'll take it, but is it entertainment?

This is an entertainment sport and VAR drains that. Even if you love the absolute certainty of the decisions, how can anyone enjoy the experience of half celebrating a goal, waiting anxiously two minutes and then half celebrating a bit more or watching the other side celebrate and gain momentum?

Sack it off

I'm against it. I know it's a bit stupid but I'm inclined to believe that things even themselves out over a season, even though that's not really the case. :hmmm:

VAR annoys me. I don't want it in the game. Your team scores a goal and you're celebrating like mad only for the ref to rule it out 20 minutes later. (n)

It cost me a fair bit mid week as I had money on Rashford to score first and England to win 2-1 double...so it's not my best mate.However I do see the positive side of it but it needs changing or it will be like American Football ,lasting too long. It should be like tennis/ ticket with each side given 2or 3 appeals a game.

Is this mental !!!? How can you be against something that confirms justice. Only a few months ago we were complaining about the injustices we suffered in at least three games, games that would have seen our end of season in a totally different contest. VAR is simple...it gives you what is rightfully yours ...in real time nd not after the game when it means nothing...teams might get relegated, others might win leagues because a wrong of a wrong decision...nd you come here nd say that it is ok...because that is the excitement of the game !!! ...?

Is this mental !!!? How can you be against something that confirms justice. Only a few months ago we were complaining about the injustices we suffered in at least three games, games that would have seen our end of season in a totally different contest. VAR is simple...it gives you what is rightfully yours ...in real time nd not after the game when it means nothing...teams might get relegated, others might win leagues because a wrong of a wrong decision...nd you come here nd say that it is ok...because that is the excitement of the game !!! ...?
Injustice?

What the fuck are you talking about mate?

Is it really injustice when Lingaard's toenail is offside but his actual body is behind the defender?

"Rightfully yours" is totally subjective.

You show me any crowded penalty area where there isn't contact? As it develops you'll end up with 5 penalties a game from set pieces and it being utterly impossible to score from set pieces otherwise without it being chalked off. You'll have a defender going down as soon as their man has gone by them in the hope that a referee interprets some contact if there is a goal. Managers will tell them to do that.

I don't see "justice" in either goal England have had disallowed. The game would not have been violated by either standing.

I can see how it might be fine for an armchair fan who only ever watched on a screen, but for a fan in the ground that wait must be absolute shit.

Never been keen either, totally destroys the flow of games and it's not an absolute arbiter either. It's often down to interpretation and look how we all disagree.

Is absolutely crap and ruining games IMO.

Sorry, I know lots of you are going to love the certainty of it.

But VAR is draining the life and excitement out of games by applying such minute precise criteria. Games finishing 0-0 because goals are ruled out for a toe offside or the slightest of contact in the box.

Football is an entertainment sport, not a court of law. No one's life is on the line for this. A lot of money, but what does that really matter? The game is meant to have uncertainty.

The England offside the other night. Had an SBC team scored that against forest and got away with it would I have felt aggrieved? Not a bit. What difference does a toe make? A totally acceptable refereeing miss that made no real difference to the goal being scored.

The goal today. Had that gone against us, would I have been aggrieved? Nope, I would never have even known about the tiny contact in the box leading up to it.

Do I feel aggrieved as a fan at a goal being scored and then having to wait 2 minutes to see if it's actually a goal or not? Yes I do. Will I feel aggreived at a perfectly reasonable goal chalked off for the tiniest infraction in a contact sport? Yes I bloody will.

Flip it over- goal goes against us but is chalked off for the same thing. Am I happy? I'll take it, but is it entertainment?

This is an entertainment sport and VAR drains that. Even if you love the absolute certainty of the decisions, how can anyone enjoy the experience of half celebrating a goal, waiting anxiously two minutes and then half celebrating a bit more or watching the other side celebrate and gain momentum?

Sack it off

So you are quite happy for the game to degenerate into a state were the biggest cheat wins so long as its entertaining.

To describe Wilson's illegal challenge as a tiny contact is not even second cousin to the truth; he used both hands to pull the defender over.

It was a blatant, cynical foul which got the decision it deserved, eventually.

Cheating is cheating and should not go unpunished.

So you are quite happy for the game to degenerate into a state were the biggest cheat wins so long as its entertaining.

To describe Wilson's illegal challenge as a tiny contact is not even second cousin to the truth; he used both hands to pull the defender over.

It was a blatant, cynical foul which got the decision it deserved, eventually.

Cheating is cheating and should not go unpunished.

The game managed 150 years without VAR without being "biggest cheat wins". Clearly that is untrue, as everyone knows we are the biggest cheats in the FL but we only finished 9th.

How many millions have people have been through turnstiles and enjoyed games without the benefit of a two minute break to check if an attacker breathed on a defender in the run up to a goal or whether a toenail clipping was ahead of the last defender?

However did they cope?

I rely a lot on https://www.flashscore.com/ for football scores. VAR is going to cause havoc on that site.

My best mate has won over £700 this week where bet365 and flashscore have shown correctly a game ( Spanish 2nd div ) as 1-0 but Skybet were still showing 0-0 a couple of minutes later so got on the the first team to score bet , he just wished he didn't have a restriction on his account otherwise he would have won more.

The game managed 150 years without VAR without being "biggest cheat wins". Clearly that is untrue, as everyone knows we are the biggest cheats in the FL but we only finished 9th.

How many millions have people have been through turnstiles and enjoyed games without the benefit of a two minute break to check if an attacker breathed on a defender in the run up to a goal or whether a toenail clipping was ahead of the last defender?

However did they cope?

Trivialise it all you like; the correct decision was made in the end and that is all that matters.

And as for "the game managed 150 years" bollocks; I seem to remember someone wanting wholesale changes to the game a short while ago, in particular the off side rule.

Trivialise it all you like; the correct decision was made in the end and that is all that matters.

And as for "the game managed 150 years" bollocks; I seem to remember someone wanting wholesale changes to the game a short while ago, in particular the off side rule.

I cannot recall ever talking about the off side rule.

If you want to talk about the ridiculous hand ball rule though, you have the right man.

I'm not trivialising anything. The is no objective 'right decision'. Like I say, this isn't a criminal trial with a prison sentence or hanging at the end of it. It isn't a mathematical equation either.

It's an entertainment sport. End of.

The only discussion to be had isn't whether it makes the 'right' decision (whatever that is), but whether the presence of VAR makes the game more or less entertaining. I think that answer to that one is clear.

Whenever we score I always know there is maybe a 10% chance that it might be disallowed, so you always look at the ref first and then celebrate.

With VAR it feels like that chance is more 50-50. That is absolute bollocks in my view. There is no entertainment to be had in scoring and everyone not bothering to get excited because there is a 30-60% chance that it isn't a goal anyway. And that counts when it's against you too.

I know there have been a few goals against us that would have been disallowed under VAR. But God knows how many more that we scored would have been chalked off for a loose thread on an attacker's shirt viciously assaulting a defender in the build up

My best mate has won over £700 this week where bet365 and flashscore have shown correctly a game ( Spanish 2nd div ) as 1-0 but Skybet were still showing 0-0 a couple of minutes later so got on the the first team to score bet , he just wished he didn't have a restriction on his account otherwise he would have won more.

Nice one. Fair play to him. Always good to get one over on the bookie.

The footballing authorities are constantly trying to ‘improve’ their product. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...

Off the field we have had the change to three points for a win, the introduction of the playoffs, the introduction of the so-called Champions League and it’s constant tweaks. We have the Nations League (which I actually quite like) and the expansion of the European and World Cups.

On the field we have had the pass back rule, the off side rule is being tweaked endlessly and the number of substitutes has increased. And then there has been goal line technology.

Now we have VAR. I must admit I liked the impact it had at the World Cup in terms of stopping all of the pushing, pulling and grappling in the box. In other areas it hasn’t been so successful and the time lapse really needs to improve.

Theoretically I am happy enough for VAR to come in which is probably for the best as it’s coming in whether we like it or not. The reality is that it’s a new system and will take time to bed in and get right.

It will take a lot of excitement out of the game, waiting 2 minutes to see if your team scored will take away that instant euphoria when the ball hits the net. The uncertainty is part of the game, debating controversial decisions is part of the fun.

They maybe need to do like they do in tennis and give each side 3 chances to use it a game, some games will take about 3 hours to complete if there's constant var use.

These same arguments and debates took place when electronic gadgets were introduced in both tennis and cricket. They will improve and become quicker as decisions are made. On TV the retired ref in the studio gets it correct most of the time. The problem is the delay and confusion in the ground.

It will come it may take 5 years or so to settle in.

As for emotions and elations. No different than the strange emotional turmoil when a penalty is given at present. Elation at a penalty, realism that it hasn't been scored, trepidation as Grabban spots the ball, then depression as he misses again.

These same arguments and debates took place when electronic gadgets were introduced in both tennis and cricket. They will improve and become quicker as decisions are made. On TV the retired ref in the studio gets it correct most of the time. The problem is the delay and confusion in the ground.

It will come it may take 5 years or so to settle in.

As for emotions and elations. No different than the strange emotional turmoil when a penalty is given at present. Elation at a penalty, realism that it hasn't been scored, trepidation as Grabban spots the ball, then depression as he misses again.

I would agree with most of that, and its not as if the games are being stopped every 5 or 10 minutes to view decisions.

VAR gets used once or twice a game which is far from excessive

The fact pope hates it makes me more certain it’s a good idea. I don’t just disagree with him out of principle but I’m always pleased when I do as it shows I’m right.