VAR | Page 8 | Vital Football

VAR

I've worked with a couple of refs over the years and both of them were know-alls in life. You just know as soon as they tell you they referee you can see why. One had Aspergers and was as black and white as a book and the other a tight-fisted thick git who would ref 3 games on a weekend for the money, could barely fill in a report.
Never met many bright ones, but they all have that personality or lack of it rather

Shocking decision in the Everton Brighton game to award a penalty for a minor accidental collision

conveniently comes a week after VAR was criticised for not awarding a single penalty after the first 90 games of the season. Maybe I’ve just got my tin foil hat on but seemed to me like they were under orders to specifically award a penalty in response to the previous comments... so they gave the first pen which they believed could passed off as a foul to overturn the ref for a pen

What's the rule on handball now?

Mane's goal against Utd was ruled out because it brushed his hand. The commentators said that any contact was automatically a foul now. If that's the case, there should have been 2 penalties yesterday but both were checked and neither was given.

What's the rule on handball now?

Mane's goal against Utd was ruled out because it brushed his hand. The commentators said that any contact was automatically a foul now. If that's the case, there should have been 2 penalties yesterday but both were checked and neither was given.
The law is different depending upon whether you're attacking or defending . Basically any handball in the build up to a goal rules the goal out but a defender has to have his arm in an unnatural position for a penalty to be given. It's fucking nonsense.

The law is different depending upon whether you're attacking or defending . Basically any handball in the build up to a goal rules the goal out but a defender has to have his arm in an unnatural position for a penalty to be given. It's fucking nonsense.

They have had to take all of the common sense out of the game to accommodate that bastard fuckery VAR. The sooner they bin that nonsense, the better.

I can see why they bought that rule in - to stop any ambiguity in a player scoring with their hand. As we saw last season against West Brom the refs have a special amount of ability to make howlers in that regard and judging how bad the VAR refs are they wouldn’t be any better at working out what is deliberate either. Probably need to change it slightly though as there have been some silly incidents where slightest of brushes in the build up have cancelled goals unfairly in most people’s opinion

2 penalties already awarded this afternoon after checks on VAR. why all of a sudden ????. Nothing to do with the mention last week that no penalties at all had been given.

I actually want VAR, because injustice boils my blood, I just want it to be done properly. In the men's world cup I actually thought it was pretty good.

Not sure if it has been pointed out on here, but as Shearer said on MOTD, the refs aren't using the pitch side tv's. I think that must be a big part of these inconsistencies - it would slow the game down even more, but at least it would be fairer if the refs used them. I reckon more decisions would be changed for the better if refs were allowed to correct themselves. Maybe VAR are afraid to disrespect their ref mates? They would also retain authority and be directly culpable for the shit mistakes they make

VAR should have been Introduced this season for offside ONLY.

Give the officials, players and supporters a chance to get used to the new technology but instead of a gradual introduction its VAR the all seeing eye, decider of all games. Now VAR is awarding Manchester United penalties where the referee waves play on. Instead of being a leveler of bias against refereeing decisions its now confirming the bias by seeing the ref putting his hand to his ear and giving an authoritive "Yes its confirmed on playback"

VAR is the worst thing to happen to football in my lifetime.

VAR should have been Introduced this season for offside ONLY.
There's even a problem with that: playbacks in Stockley Park are viewed, as I understand it, at 50 frames per second. If the receiving player is running in at 10mph he will travel 3.5 inches per frame so if the frame the VAR guy judges when the ball is kicked is one out, the receiving player can look 3.5 inches either side of where he actually is. We've seen people given offside by a toe nail.

Some bizarre decisions yesterday . The first Man Utd penalty and the Arsenal goal that was disallowed defy belief. It has become a farce now.

There's even a problem with that: playbacks in Stockley Park are viewed, as I understand it, at 50 frames per second. If the receiving player is running in at 10mph he will travel 3.5 inches per frame so if the frame the VAR guy judges when the ball is kicked is one out, the receiving player can look 3.5 inches either side of where he actually is. We've seen people given offside by a toenail.

You've put that across really well, it was what I was trying to explain to someone the other day.
We are talking milliseconds when a players Knee or elbow is offside by inches it's not a clear mistake by the ref or lino, one frame either way and he may be onside. Who says when the ball is actually moving forward, I'm talking the precise millisecond, can we even measure it on film?
It's not a science it's an opinion