VAR | Page 7 | Vital Football

VAR

We'll get used to VAR. Just give it time to gel :lol:
Disagree Macca, will not work whilst refs judge their mates. Ex pros with no loyalty to either team will improve matters. Some of the decisions have been dubious to say the least. Villa have suffered more than any other club. Watching Motd tonight,how can that not be a foul in the build up to the Man U goal? Mates looking after mates. Ain't working,fix it.

They need to redefine the VAR boundaries. It should not be used to check every goal for the slightest problem. Take yesterdays Villa "goal" for example. It is a matter of opinion if Wesley impeded their GK or not. IMO he did not. However if you asked 10 neutrals to judge it may well turn out 50/50 either way.

This is not what it is there to judge. The clear and obvious error is a good guide to its intended use. Its now gone far beyond that and is turning it into a farce and ruining it for the stadium fans at the very least.

A perfect example is Theirry Henry's handball against Ireland. That's what VAR should be for.

VAR started off in other football competitions and got criticised for the number of penalties they were giving for holding and handball etc .
VAR in the premier league hasn't given a single penalty, it also hasn't overruled one either.
Proving it's subjective at best and downright corrupt old pals act in reality.

The people using it are yet again working to orders or and agenda, otherwise, we'd have seen in 90 odd games at least a few penalties given or overruled.

Currently, they are trying to be smart arses spotting things that are not there or very very subjective, like a foot being offside for a tenth of a second, Wesleys foul on the keeper, Wood's alleged clip-on Jonny Evans etc.

They can't even decide what handball is after 150 years of us all knowing what it was

It's a joke just as I thought it would be

I see Liverpool had a goal VARed yesterday. It was a decent goal too but they changed the rules on handball too. Apparently, if it hits your arm in the box, it's a foul. There is no consideration if it's accidental or not.

What a farce. They have changed all of the rules to make the game worse to accommodate a system which seems designed to rule out good goals minutes after they are scored.

Another thing, I think Phil Neville was suggesting the refs should come and look at the monitor as they did in the women's world cup,
In reality that was a joke too and they still made subjective decisions, all it did was piss everyone off and hold up the game.
That's why premier league refs don't do that as it disrupted the game. They have obviously been told not to do it,
Just as they have been told not to nitpick on goalkeepers feet moving off the line on Pens.

The only thing that works really well is the goal-line technology because it's back and white.
VAR will not work because there are people working it

They need to redefine the VAR boundaries. It should not be used to check every goal for the slightest problem. Take yesterdays Villa "goal" for example. It is a matter of opinion if Wesley impeded their GK or not. IMO he did not. However if you asked 10 neutrals to judge it may well turn out 50/50 either way.

This is not what it is there to judge. The clear and obvious error is a good guide to its intended use. Its now gone far beyond that and is turning it into a farce and ruining it for the stadium fans at the very least.
I think the point about the use of VAR is whether the players at the moment in time feel that there is an infringement. They know perhaps more than the referee whether something is wrong or not. The point to note is that for Houriane's 'goal' on Saturday none of the Brighton players appealed the goal and were trudging back to the half way line.
Of course as time goes on some players will 'act up' to influence VAR decisions and a classic example was Jonny Evans who feigned a foul by tripping himself up to put the Burnley goal to the VAR scrutiny. At the moment he is perhaps in the minority, but then again he has graduated from two very good places of cheating football with the likes of Manure and West Brom.

I think the point about the use of VAR is whether the players at the moment in time feel that there is an infringement. They know perhaps more than the referee whether something is wrong or not. The point to note is that for Houriane's 'goal' on Saturday none of the Brighton players appealed the goal and were trudging back to the half way line.
That's the only way it could work for me: give each captain one appeal for goals and penalties with a strict time limit. As it is, like on Saturday, after you get one goal ruled out the experience of scoring subsequent goals is totally ruined whilst waiting for some faceless entity to decide whether the goal's going to stand or not.

Forget it for everything apart from goals and penalties. Red cards can be dealt with retrospectively like they were pre-VAR and presumably still can be.

And dump the new handball law.

Another thing, I think Phil Neville was suggesting the refs should come and look at the monitor as they did in the women's world cup,
In reality that was a joke too and they still made subjective decisions, all it did was piss everyone off and hold up the game.
That's why premier league refs don't do that as it disrupted the game. They have obviously been told not to do it,
Just as they have been told not to nitpick on goalkeepers feet moving off the line on Pens.

The only thing that works really well is the goal-line technology because it's back and white.
I made this point about the system being subjective previously 57. I agree with everything you say, and the sad part about it I cant see how you can change that. At some point someone has to make a decision be it the on field ref or the VAR ref.
Not sure I agree with those saying give it time because I dont see how you get away from the human input at some point in the process.
It would would have been great for Rodrigues obvious cheat with the handball last season but not Wes so called foul on Saturday because you come back to human input.
The criteria for VAR intervention is supposed to be "clear and obvious", so based on that how do the Var refs intervene in the Wes goal, which was anything other than clear and obvious.
The powers that be will not back down on the use of this aweful system until either owners, players or fans lose faith entirely in its use.

Last edited:
I made this point about the system being subjective previously 57. I agree with everything you say, and the sad part about it I cant see how you can change that. At some point someone has to make a decision be it the on field ref or the VAR ref.
Not sure I agree with those saying give it time because I dont see how you get away from the human input at some point in the process.
It would would have been great for Rodrigues obvious cheat with the handball last season but not Wes so called foul on Saturday because you come back to human input.
The criteria for VAR intervention is supposed to be "clear and obvious", so based on that how do the Var refs intervein in the Wes goal, which was anything other than clear and obvious.
The powers that be will not back down on the use of this aweful system until either owners, players or fans lose faith entirely in its use.
There is a real potential show stopper for VAR that perhaps those in power have not yet considered. What happens if a team gets relegated by say a single point due to a dodgy VAR decision - ours at Palace for example. The team in question puts in a legal challenge on the basis of reduced revenue due to the relegation and it goes to court and the judges come down in favour of the challenge. This might mean a different team being relegated and they then also put in a legal challenge. With the amount of money involved in staying in the PL, it is feasible that this could happen - at this point the 'subjective' becomes somewhat 'objective'.
Thoughts on a post card ??

It will be interesting to see how many of the weekends decisions Dermot Gallagher will defend tomorrow.

2 out of 8 were wrong according to the oracle.

He said the Man City pen and the Watford pen should have been given and all the others including ours were correct.

What a prick.

Totally agree with your point about the pitch side monitors, can’t believe anyone thinks that will help in any way. All it will do is slow the game down as the ref gets themselves in a muddle as they watch a hundred super slow motion camera angles all inconclusive with tens of thousands of fans shouting at them. It shouldn’t be up to the ref to overrule their own decision. The problem with VAR is simply it isn’t being applied correctly and crucially not consistently either, nothing to do with them not looking at a different screen