VAR | Page 27 | Vital Football

VAR

Farcical. Four years of VAR and all the training that has gone with it has led us to this shambles.

Telling that the technical replay bloke and the only one in the audio who isn't a qualified buffoon is the only bloke who realised what was going on and that the VAR refs didn't have a clue.

Not sure there would have been this fuss if it was Villa having a goal chalked off, in fact I know there wouldn't.
It's subjective so no matter how many checks they make they will make mistakes, even 6sigma has 3.4 defects per million

Not sure there would have been this fuss if it was Villa having a goal chalked off, in fact I know there wouldn't.
It's subjective so no matter how many checks they make they will make mistakes, even 6sigma has 3.4 defects per million
There was no doubt about the offside in this case though. It's the process that the two jokers go through - or the way the implement it - that's flawed.

There was no doubt about the offside in this case though. It's the process that the two jokers go through - or the way the implement it - that's flawed.
I think we all saw that was a cock up mate at the time, but you will never eradicate human error or equipment failure. To improve it is fairly easy but to eradicate error completely is impossible.
Having a camera running on rails alongside the pitch to get a true view is the first thing but the idiots running the VAR aren't clever enough to know about true views and true lengths etc. because they are referees not engineers

Never agreed with Southgate before, but I'm with him on this. This is his opinion on VAR., he doesn't like it.
"All I would say is everybody used to go to the pub and moan about the ref and they still go to the pub and moan about the ref,” Southgate said. “So I’m not sure what we’ve resolved, really. I’m probably a bit old-fashioned. The ref gives it as he sees it, let’s crack on. We’ve got to deal with whatever happens.”

Never agreed with Southgate before, but I'm with him on this. This is his opinion on VAR., he doesn't like it.
"All I would say is everybody used to go to the pub and moan about the ref and they still go to the pub and moan about the ref,” Southgate said. “So I’m not sure what we’ve resolved, really. I’m probably a bit old-fashioned. The ref gives it as he sees it, let’s crack on. We’ve got to deal with whatever happens.”

Cheers for that, you gave me an article ramble for elsewhere lol

I noticed in the Rugby, Ireland scored a try, attempt missed and a conversion and the game kicked off, the Timo was still checking and ruled it all out for a knock on 5 mi s after the try. The points were chalked off but the correct decision was made! Maybe we should adopt and let's hear what the officials are saying!

I noticed in the Rugby, Ireland scored a try, attempt missed and a conversion and the game kicked off, the Timo was still checking and ruled it all out for a knock on 5 mi s after the try. The points were chalked off but the correct decision was made! Maybe we should adopt and let's hear what the officials are saying!
They hadn't kicked off, but the conversion had been taken - a rule they changed for this year, so that they could continue to review until the game restarted.

I cant think of another sport where the right decision is ignored with such regularity. Merson is usually just a bit of a clown but he was right the other week. I also cannot think of another sport that regularly ignores the will and wishes of the people who actually spend money on the product.

Only the most biased of fans would disagree with pulling back the Spurs/Liverpool game for the correct call. I also thoroughly believe that an oversight commission is needed above PMGOL and that it should be led by people who are not referees. I'd trial the 20 clubs having a representative and 5 of them being randomly selected to review post match concerns.

There is a lack of imagination here. Something different is needed because its obvious refs will just protect each other rather than improve.

I cant think of another sport where the right decision is ignored with such regularity. Merson is usually just a bit of a clown but he was right the other week. I also cannot think of another sport that regularly ignores the will and wishes of the people who actually spend money on the product.

Only the most biased of fans would disagree with pulling back the Spurs/Liverpool game for the correct call. I also thoroughly believe that an oversight commission is needed above PMGOL and that it should be led by people who are not referees. I'd trial the 20 clubs having a representative and 5 of them being randomly selected to review post match concerns.

There is a lack of imagination here. Something different is needed because its obvious refs will just protect each other rather than improve.
If you can get them, you need an ex-player who understands the game at that level. Surely the players can give something back to the game that made them virtual royalty - even if it’s just a few seasons, many players retire every year.

Yup agree 100%. VAR checks needs to be independant of the refs.
It works just fine in the NFL (albeit a much slower pace of game). I watch NFL every week, most games, and they very rarely get the decisions wrong. Certainly, they never make such obvious howlers as we are seeing with VAR.

Cricket is a bit of a halfway house in that many 3rd umpires are former players and are active on-field umpires in other matches. But again, they rarely get it wrong. Rugby? I'm not sure about whether the video refs are active/retired match officials, but they don't often fuck up either.

But the point there is that NFL replay officials (as they are called) are not active referees/match officials, and most of them are not even retired ones.

Replay officials usually are hired first as replay assistants and are then considered for promotion based on their performance and mastery of that role. Several Replay Officials are former on-field officials who have transitioned off the field.

Replay Assistants often come from the college ranks and are recommended by replay supervisors on the strength of their work at that level. Some come from other roles within the NFL, including NFL GameDay Assistants such as replay video operators, replay field communicators or clock operators.

If you can get them, you need an ex-player who understands the game at that level. Surely the players can give something back to the game that made them virtual royalty - even if it’s just a few seasons, many players retire every year.
100%.

At a minimum they need to change it so if you are a VAR one week you cannot be a match day official the next. I also think they should be limited to one game a week as well.

There is no way someone who isn't good enough to be a professional footballer has the physical and mental ability to officiate multiple times a week without making a mistake.

I want a team of lads on VAR, a team of match day officials and at best you can cycle them monthly but you're not cycling them every week. And you're definitely not letting them fuck off to the UAE on a Thursday night and rock up to VP on a Sunday still smelling of hookers and booze.

At a minimum they need to change it so if you are a VAR one week you cannot be a match day official the next. I also think they should be limited to one game a week as well.

There is no way someone who isn't good enough to be a professional footballer has the physical and mental ability to officiate multiple times a week without making a mistake.

I want a team of lads on VAR, a team of match day officials and at best you can cycle them monthly but you're not cycling them every week. And you're definitely not letting them fuck off to the UAE on a Thursday night and rock up to VP on a Sunday still smelling of hookers and booze.
Don't worry your little head about it mate. Howard Webb has today announced that he has learned the lesson and put safe guards in place so that it can never happen again.
Wonder where I've heard that phrase before.