VAR | Page 14 | Vital Football

VAR

I’m watching Real Betis v Sevilla (Bein USA) and Betis equalised just before half time, VAR was going to take a look at it but the ref wasn’t interested and the game continued. There’s no interference unless the ref asks for it abroad plus they go over and take a look themselves if they have to on the screen. No idea why that’s not how it is in this country.

I heard the interview on five live, but what was worse was that the BBC then read out two texts from people who thought Swarbrick was spot on and spoke the most sense they had heard on the subject.

Yes I heard it on the radio as well. Defies belief .

Also my old mate Dermot Gallagher said all the VAR decisions over the weekend including the Sheffield Utd one were correct surprise surprise.

Not surprised Wittonite....caught it on the TV earlier but found myself zoning out given the stupidity he was speaking.

Yes Den, and we all know Gallagher is right don't we.....apart from those decisions that VAR has already contradicted itself over! lol

That shows everything wrong with VAR and refereeing in this country at the “elite” level

The one and only objective is to support themselves. Absolute refusal to admit when things aren’t right. PGMOL is supposed to be the organisation which manages referees, except it is basically a referees club run by referees for the benefit of referees. It’s a corrupt system, perhaps not corrupt for financial reasons but certainly a case of mates helping mates, at the detriment to all the fans.

The premier league need to step in and sack the entire management team of PGMOL and VAR. That way the refs might realise the football comes first - not them and their mates.

Heard Swarbrick on 5 live aswell. Against all odds I found myself kind of seeing where he was coming from to a degree in that he was saying that many wanted VAR and that it's the laws of the game that influence VAR and contribute to the decisions i.e offside is black and white, end of.

But then he lost me when he said fans at the game should still just get on and celebrate regardless of VAR. Sorry mate, you are completely out of touch if you think that is achieveable or reasonable AND fair on the paying fans. And for this reason I'm out.

I'm OK with the notion that even if it's just a toe that's offside then it's offside. You have a clear rule, and now you can see if the rule has been broken. But there's too much else unsatisfactory about VAR and indeed the whole of the current system. Like when the prat booked Grealish for diving when Lansbury scored a goal, and VAR could only look at one bit of it.

I'm OK with the notion that even if it's just a toe that's offside then it's offside. You have a clear rule, and now you can see if the rule has been broken. But there's too much else unsatisfactory about VAR and indeed the whole of the current system. Like when the prat booked Grealish for diving when Lansbury scored a goal, and VAR could only look at one bit of it.
Macca, Mr Friend claims he blew his whistle before Henry scored. This means play is stopped and VAR is off the hook. However,the quality of decision making by the Var referees has,too often,been appalling. Refs are supporting their colleagues time after time. Ex pros with no ties to the teams involved need to halt this cosy farce.

I don't think it's easy to find unbiased people to work VAR, and where ex-pros are concerned even harder. Some matches I watch I really couldn't care less who wins but normally I have a favourite of the two or as the match goes on I want the better team on the day to win as they deserve it.

I don't think it's easy to find unbiased people to work VAR, and where ex-pros are concerned even harder. Some matches I watch I really couldn't care less who wins but normally I have a favourite of the two or as the match goes on I want the better team on the day to win as they deserve it.
Hi,Villan 57, not sure a Northerner or Southerner would give a monkey's about let's say Wolves v Villa.

It isnt just the small margins with offside, its the time taken to come to a decision. If its taking between three and four minutes to allow or overturn a goal that can hardly be classed as "clear and obvious"
And whatever happened to giving the attacking player the advantage.
The only people who enjoy VAR and stick up for it do non attend matches, because if they did you cannot condone numerous long delays in games with only the paying public not in the loop as to what the hell is going on.

"Premier League clubs have ducked the opportunity to make major changes to VAR after a fractious three-hour meeting with referees' chief Mike Riley to discuss recent controversies.

The league is poised to confirm that it is working to address consistency issues and will provide more information for fans on big screens in stadiums to reduce confusion during matches. However, despite tensions being aired at length by a host of clubs during a lengthy debate, warnings that there could be a concerted campaign for major reform failed to materialise."

:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...s-decide-against-pushing-var-reforms-meeting/ (Paywalled)