VAR | Page 13 | Vital Football

VAR

Spot on TMG , I spent many years measuring things and have a bit of a thing for precision measurements. I still eye things up now as not square etc .
People haven't grasped the precise millisecond the ball moves forwards it might actually be going sidewards for a millisecond then move forwards.
Basically current tech is posh guesswork by someone who is a ref not a technical person at all.
We are talking offside by an armpit or in some case less than that, none of them clear or obvious mistakes.
The lino got the Liverpool game right so they do get , most thing right despite people saying they don't , most decisions that have gone against us have been someone trying to be a smart arse not the ref making a mistake
What you say about measuring things, verticals, out of square etc is a bloody curse. I used to be in engineering years ago and to this day many years on I cannot sit in a room with a picture or mirror not hung correctly without it getting the better of me and having to get up and alter it.

I was prepared to give VAR the benefit of the doubt for a little longer but the decision today has now clinched for me the fact that it is total shite. VAR looks at possible red card decisions during play and the referee stands like a wally whilst the faceless tossers at Stockly Park replay the incident.
Son was to be awarded a yellow card for the challenge on Gomez (rightly so in my opinion) but Atkinson changed his mind and gave a red card. VAR reviewed the decision and agreed it was a red card. Three days later the FA reviewed the decision and overturned the red card.
What is the point of VAR if it cannot make definitive decisions during the period of the match - complete waste of time and money.

Offsides would be massively difficult to do automatically. The difficulty is not so much knowing where the players are but telling the exact instant at which the ball is kicked. The long-winded process at Stockley Park with all the lines drawn on the screen is punted up as being scientific but it isn't, it's a judgement. Any attempt to replicate this using IT will also be a judgement.

You would need the likes of Nike to also advance technologically, in terms of the ball for example which has some sort of sensor to know (as you say) the moment it’s kicked.

The technology is the disruptor that some tech company out there must be starting up now trying to fix given the shambles of VAR. If someone can design and manufacture a ball that can overcome this aspect they’ll have a huge brand on their hands or be able to sell the technology to a huge corporate.

I don’t know if all this even physically possible to be able to do something like that to a ball and still have the same aerodynamics, and is all very futuristic as I said in my earlier post.

On the subjectivity of some decisions, I still want some subjectivity in the game as it keeps the adrenaline and excitement for me.

You would need the likes of Nike to also advance technologically, in terms of the ball for example which has some sort of sensor to know (as you say) the moment it’s kicked.

The technology is the disruptor that some tech company out there must be starting up now trying to fix given the shambles of VAR. If someone can design and manufacture a ball that can overcome this aspect they’ll have a huge brand on their hands or be able to sell the technology to a huge corporate.

I don’t know if all this even physically possible to be able to do something like that to a ball and still have the same aerodynamics, and is all very futuristic as I said in my earlier post.

On the subjectivity of some decisions, I still want some subjectivity in the game as it keeps the adrenaline and excitement for me.
It doesn't have to be a kick though Dan. I'll give an example where what you're proposing would not work: say at the Etihad the other week Silva had attempted to head De Bruyne's cross and the ball had just brushed his hair enough to slightly ruffle it; the ball would not have deviated one iota so it wouldn't get picked up by the automatic VAR system, yet it the touch would have placed Sterling offside. The only way to pick something like this up would be to manually look at the slow-mo with the resulting delay which we're all trying to avoid.

What you say about measuring things, verticals, out of square etc is a bloody curse. I used to be in engineering years ago and to this day many years on I cannot sit in a room with a picture or mirror not hung correctly without it getting the better of me and having to get up and alter it.

I'm exactly the same. Drives the wife crazy. particularly when flying and I adjust all the clips holding the trays to make sure they are perfectly 90 degrees.

The problem with that photo is we are not square to the line and if that is what VAR man is using neither is he.
That's not a true view, it can't be from that angle as that is not offside.

Just use clear daylight to give offside, would be checked in seconds.
Ref should check monitor for other incidents and decide so he remains in charge.