US Politics Thread | Page 655 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

I would LOVE to move to Ireland. I’m one generation too far to have Irish citizenship. Here’s my genetic breakdown and yes I’m a ginger.
Have the relaxed the requirements to move to Ireland recently? View attachment 51707

I've just come back from spending most of the week in Northern Ireland and after doing so it felt so much better there than being in Northern England.

I would LOVE to move to Ireland. I’m one generation too far to have Irish citizenship. Here’s my genetic breakdown and yes I’m a ginger.
Have the relaxed the requirements to move to Ireland recently? View attachment 51707

My best friend lives in Canada with his wife and 2 kids and he's wanted to come home for a long time, but his wife can't get citizenship or at least that was the case a year or 2 ago, but he has been talking about moving back recently so maybe something has changed in the requirements, you should look into it.

Seeing as you're mostly Munster, maybe Cork might be the place for you, if you can stand the accents, lol. It is a nice city though, and Galway too. Dublin's just too expensive these days.

I've got the impression that America is similar to Europe in terms of cultural diversity except that people readily move around the US on a way that they don't around Europe (perhaps that's a language thing?). Do you think that's correct?

You probably hit the nail on the head with language because you're right in some ways elements of European Culture is more homogeneous than the US. Work culture is one, I think the Spanish and Germans are more closely aligned on work-life balance than say NY and SF.

Language, experience, and opportunity are probably the key drivers, maybe culture isn't that big of an issue. I think if you've moved a significant distance from home for school you're way more likely to do it again for work. Less fear around that given you've got experience of it already. And probably due to the lack of a language barrier its easier to find opportunities too. I do think America has far more opportunities than Europe but if you're willing Europe has them too.

I got offered what would have been a bit of a dream job to a Graduate 5 days after moving to NY. I could have worked with an Engineering firm on decent money spending 6 months based in an office in Madrid, shadowing a Director and then travelling to job sites around Europe after the 6 months was up.

A friend who used to work in NY moved to Munich, he is one of the few that didn't let the language barrier stop him. It actually worked in his favour to some degree. A firm in Munich needed a native English speaker to help project manage a site for Amazon. That's how he got in, he's been there now for 3 years and learned the language and has a German fiance. He's rare but Texans living in Arizona are a dime a dozen or Midwesterners in California.

Yes that’s a fair point CDX, it’s like four or five different countries and cultures wrapped up into one. The gun fascination does seem quite widespread, and when you see shootouts in tourist hot spots such as Vegas, it starts to make me question whether it’s worth going anymore even if the chances of such an incident are minute.

The GF won't go to the cinema with me because of that. I think my future with her will be London or New York. The lack of racial diversity in Dublin doesnt make her feel comfortable raising our kids there. She has a love-hate situation with Atlanta where she's from, she's got family there but it's the south, its racist and they love their guns there.

Truth be told I've been trying to convince her we should move to Lisbon :ROFLMAO: renounce her US citizenship and don't pay off the student loans hahaha.

Bob Woodward's new book is creating as bit of a stir.

He details how Trump was so determined to end the Afghan war, he signed an order to remove all US troops by 15th Jan, and none of his national security team knew a thing about it.

Then, General Milley thought Trump was in such mental decline he obtained guarantees from all his staff they wouldn't fire any nuclear weapons, then called China to ensure them that if Trump did attack, he would prevent it.

This is how bad Trump got, in those final days.

I see AOC has got all of the heads talking by wearing a dress that says tax the rich. I guess that's a more controversial statement in the US than Europe.

Both sides will take the opposite side of an argument no matter how dumb it is. Is it any wonder nothing changes?

I will say taxing the rich isnt really the problem its terrible policies. Gavin Newsom Governor of California survived a recall vote, had it succeeded Larry Elder (stealing notes from the Trump playbook) would have been voted in. Gavin Newsom seems as effective as a chocolate teapot. He cut services like clearing brush in forests which leads to more forest fires and dangers to people lives. They spend something like 13B on homelessness in California but for some reason areas of SF and LA still look like Baghdad.

I saw a statistic and I don't if its true but apparently the top 1% pay 50% of federal taxes and the top 10% pay 70%. I am of the opinion anyone under 50,000 in metro areas or on minimum wage should pay 0% in taxes. I don't know how guys in the likes of SF and NY make ends meet just doing doordash, uber, or mcdonalds.

I guess you gotta trample on people to keep the American way of life going. Thats why they have a tip culture because every business can walk all over you if you have limited options.

Both sides will take the opposite side of an argument no matter how dumb it is. Is it any wonder nothing changes?

I will say taxing the rich isnt really the problem its terrible policies. Gavin Newsom Governor of California survived a recall vote, had it succeeded Larry Elder (stealing notes from the Trump playbook) would have been voted in. Gavin Newsom seems as effective as a chocolate teapot. He cut services like clearing brush in forests which leads to more forest fires and dangers to people lives. They spend something like 13B on homelessness in California but for some reason areas of SF and LA still look like Baghdad.

I saw a statistic and I don't if its true but apparently the top 1% pay 50% of federal taxes and the top 10% pay 70%. I am of the opinion anyone under 50,000 in metro areas or on minimum wage should pay 0% in taxes. I don't know how guys in the likes of SF and NY make ends meet just doing doordash, uber, or mcdonalds.

I guess you gotta trample on people to keep the American way of life going. Thats why they have a tip culture because every business can walk all over you if you have limited options.
The Democrats have done a really fine job with California haven't they LOL.

I also wonder how much of her $170k salary AOC gives up to better causes? Wearing a 'tax the rich' dress made by Brother Vellies (who charge shit loads for their clothes) at a $30k per head Met Gala in NY.

It's pop left wing politics for feeble minds. AOC is just another one who is apart of a broken system, not a game changer.

And the Aussies are going to build them in Adelaide. Its really pissed the French off because they had a contract with Aus to build them. Anything that pisses of the French is good by me.

I struggle with this attitude (if you’re serious as it could be tongue in cheek) as it’ll end up in a tit for tat. They have a lot of migrants sat on the northern corner of their shores they would rather move on…

I personally don’t like the French anymore than a brexiteer, but it feels small time and petty to me. I’m not sure I feel overly comfortable with constantly trying to shaft our nearest allies, it seems a recurring Brexit-induced theme.

It's time to start the countdown clock for the Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

There is a suspicion that the Chinese demographic crisis is much worse than they are letting on. It would be entirely in keeping with their behaviour to be bullshitting the numbers. Countries in demographic crisis don't throw young men into a meat grinder.

Most likely there will be lots of sabre rattling but they aren't going to accelerate their own decline with an unnecessary war.