US Politics Thread | Page 653 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

I wish this was an article from The Onion.

Remington, the gunmaker being sued by several families of Sandy Hook victims for wrongful death, has issued a subpoena to get the academic, attendance and discipline records of five first-grade students who were killed during the 2012 mass shooting. The gunmaker also issued a subpoena for the employment files of four educators who were killed.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/reming...-children-killed-in-sandy-hook-mass-shooting/

I wish this was an article from The Onion.

Remington, the gunmaker being sued by several families of Sandy Hook victims for wrongful death, has issued a subpoena to get the academic, attendance and discipline records of five first-grade students who were killed during the 2012 mass shooting. The gunmaker also issued a subpoena for the employment files of four educators who were killed.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/reming...-children-killed-in-sandy-hook-mass-shooting/

Wow, that’s absolutely disgusting. As one of the spokespeople said the only record that matters is they were there that day.

This is borderline evil.

The Guardian has an article about single mothers in Afghanistan afraid of Taliban rule. How many single mothers do you think are in Afghanistan? Afghanistan has never been a country hospitable to single mothers. There are very few countries in the 3rd world which are.

Why aren't they calling for us to invade Japan, another country inhospitable to single mothers? What about Haiti? They certainly don't encourage having children outside of marriage or divorce in Haiti?

I'll tell you why; $300m per day, much of it spent on bombs to kill the men of Afghanistan and leave more single mothers behind.

The Guardian has an article about single mothers in Afghanistan afraid of Taliban rule. How many single mothers do you think are in Afghanistan? Afghanistan has never been a country hospitable to single mothers. There are very few countries in the 3rd world which are.

Why aren't they calling for us to invade Japan, another country inhospitable to single mothers? What about Haiti? They certainly don't encourage having children outside of marriage or divorce in Haiti?

I'll tell you why; $300m per day, much of it spent on bombs to kill the men of Afghanistan and leave more single mothers behind.
Did you read the article?

In the first paragraph: "Widowed when her husband was murdered by Taliban forces in 2020..."

So yeah, in a violent country with no workplace safety and basically no healthcare, there are a ton of reasons why women would end up as single mothers.

So the little ones had their first lockdown drill of the school year. For those of you not here in the US it’s a nice way of saying active shooter drill. All of the classrooms are locked and the lights are out and the kids huddle together and stay silent in the hopes that they won’t be shot.

But wearing a mask is psychologically damaging our children.

So the little ones had their first lockdown drill of the school year. For those of you not here in the US it’s a nice way of saying active shooter drill. All of the classrooms are locked and the lights are out and the kids huddle together and stay silent in the hopes that they won’t be shot.

Your country is mad. I don’t know why so many Brits look favourably on America, I’m eternally grateful I’m not a yank. In some ways admirable, in many other just plain crazy and fucked up.

(I’m talking about the drills by the way)

Last edited:

Siggy am I right in thinking that wearing a mask has become a political thing over there?

The good ole US of A is gonna tear itself apart I'm sure of it.

Despite all we talk about on here, I genuinely can't think what that would feel like as an adult, let alone a kiddy.

Your country is mad. I don’t know why so many Brits look favourably on America, I’m eternally grateful I’m not a yank. In some ways admirable, in many other just plain crazy and fucked up.

People just don't know what its really like or they see the likes of shows in New York and think thats representative of the whole country. The south is well and truly its own thing. As is the midwest and northeast.

Its the size of the country thing again, 80% of people you'll ever meet are fairly solid but there are still extremes within the 80% which really is the mindfuck. You've got pro-gun people who skew all the way left and pro-choice people who skew right as well. A country of 300MM people with less than 1% being pure mad/ignorant ***** is still a population almost as large as Irelands.

Two of our neighbors a white fella from Nebraska or Iowa who grew up as a farmer and a black guy from Kansas who just grew up in the city actually have really similar views. They are both left-leaning with sprinklings of conservativism but they live in California now. The people of America must be the most mobile people in western society. So you do get this huge exchange of ideas but people tend to land in groups. Like Austin is a bastion of the far left in Texas.

I love living here but there are a massive amount of things I'd throw away too if given the chance.

Yes that’s a fair point CDX, it’s like four or five different countries and cultures wrapped up into one. The gun fascination does seem quite widespread, and when you see shootouts in tourist hot spots such as Vegas, it starts to make me question whether it’s worth going anymore even if the chances of such an incident are minute.

I lived there for 5 years or so. The thing that amazed me is how oblivious they are to all things outside of the USA. The up side to that is that you are treated as some sort of celebrity when they know you are English although I was called Irish, South African, Australian etc with my fine Brummie brogue!

One of the reasons I came back was that I was pining for the Holte End.

Last edited:
People just don't know what its really like or they see the likes of shows in New York and think thats representative of the whole country. The south is well and truly its own thing. As is the midwest and northeast.

Its the size of the country thing again, 80% of people you'll ever meet are fairly solid but there are still extremes within the 80% which really is the mindfuck. You've got pro-gun people who skew all the way left and pro-choice people who skew right as well. A country of 300MM people with less than 1% being pure mad/ignorant ***** is still a population almost as large as Irelands.

Two of our neighbors a white fella from Nebraska or Iowa who grew up as a farmer and a black guy from Kansas who just grew up in the city actually have really similar views. They are both left-leaning with sprinklings of conservativism but they live in California now. The people of America must be the most mobile people in western society. So you do get this huge exchange of ideas but people tend to land in groups. Like Austin is a bastion of the far left in Texas.

I love living here but there are a massive amount of things I'd throw away too if given the chance.

I've got the impression that America is similar to Europe in terms of cultural diversity except that people readily move around the US on a way that they don't around Europe (perhaps that's a language thing?). Do you think that's correct?