US Politics Thread | Page 640 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

"Continuing on from their previous claims that this would be a more tolerant regime, spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid pledged that 'there is a huge difference between us and the Taliban of 20 years ago' and that women would not face any discrimination"
Well he could have said that twenty years ago and saved everbody a lot of trouble..

You saw all that s well, wittonite? If he keeps half the promises he made, things might actually turn out OK. I was reading a piece this morning about how they actually need America's help to rebuild, and they don't want their best minds leaving either.

I am slightly more hopeful today.

You saw all that s well, wittonite? If he keeps half the promises he made, things might actually turn out OK. I was reading a piece this morning about how they actually need America's help to rebuild, and they don't want their best minds leaving either.

You get to an age where you think you have seen and heard it all, and then this comes along.

The problem they face is that without US support they just become a puppet for another superpower.

It sounds like they are saying all the right things to keep America onside. So far, violence has been minimised, and people say it's calm over there.

My hope levels raised a level after reading a few things today about how the Taliban have evolved.

On the other hand, they may have graduated recently from the "Telling The Truth" course at the Boris Johnson College of Political Integrity.

The Americans appear to be blaming the Afghan army for putting up little resistance to the Taliban advance. Apparently Afghan army units melted away in the face of the Taliban advance. They don’t mention the fact that the “poor bloody infantry“ were deserted by their officers and that many of the soldiers were unpaid because their officers had withheld their pay and it had vanished into the skyrocket benevolent fund. The Afghan regime was riddled with corruption. The President buggered off, no doubt with a suitcase full of used notes.
Basically the Americans, and by extension us, sustained and supported a largely corrupt regime. How else can you explain how a bunch of lightly armed irregular militia waltzed through a well equipped and numerically superior opposition?
Incidentally, was that a white flag behind Biden?
Stand by for the Boris bluster in the Commons.
Modern politicians are illiterate and ignorant where history is concerned. They ignore or are unaware of the lessons of history.
Rule 1: Never invade Russia.
Rule 2: Never get involved in Afghanistan.

Exactly, just look at Syria. We’re always fed a narrative the US and the West are right, but I have wondered in the past whether the west just made a complete clusterfuck of Syria and actually there would’ve been less bloodshed and barrel bombing has the Russian backed Government forces been allowed to win.

It’s all speculation from my observations, I’m not an expert on these topics and someone may disagree with me (and educate me)

Its all bollocks isn't, its real-life to the people who live there and suffer through it but to western media and powers its primetime blame game.

This whole thing is literally just a political talking point and 100s of hours and days of resources and efforts will go into this to catalogue and examine the errors of Bidens administration. We won't go over the 20-year debacle though. Only now is this back in peoples mind and now its laid square against one regime, Bidens. Its dumb 14 days ago 90% of people probably forgot there was a US Force still in Afghanistan never mind a the fact they could never leave or it would fall apart.

Biden might be incompetent, I don't know that he is but its hardly a failure of his administration. How do you put 1T into a country and it collapses in 72 hours? Clearly structural and systemic issues over many years are at play.

How will it be judged in 12 months if zero US soliders are present and there are no more deaths, woman continue to work and country becomes a little more liberal. What will we say then? It would be an incredible coup just to end the violence and conflict. They've been at war for almost 50 years straight between the US, Russia and internal conflicts.

Biden said it would not be another Saigon. Well to me thats exactly what it was. I was always told its not what you do its how you do it. They could have started moving people out months ago. The Embassy could have been cut to the bone weeks ago . One almighty balls up.

The Americans appear to be blaming the Afghan army for putting up little resistance to the Taliban advance. Apparently Afghan army units melted away in the face of the Taliban advance. They don’t mention the fact that the “poor bloody infantry“ were deserted by their officers and that many of the soldiers were unpaid because their officers had withheld their pay and it had vanished into the skyrocket benevolent fund. The Afghan regime was riddled with corruption. The President buggered off, no doubt with a suitcase full of used notes.
Basically the Americans, and by extension us, sustained and supported a largely corrupt regime. How else can you explain how a bunch of lightly armed irregular militia waltzed through a well equipped and numerically superior opposition?
Incidentally, was that a white flag behind Biden?
Stand by for the Boris bluster in the Commons.
Modern politicians are illiterate and ignorant where history is concerned. They ignore or are unaware of the lessons of history.
Rule 1: Never invade Russia.
Rule 2: Never get involved in Afghanistan.
It would hardly qualify as a proper army in the first place. It was dumb to expect them to put up much of a fight against the Taliban who are far more skilled and organised.

For those who believe that Biden is not complicit in any way in Americas withdrawal from Afghanistan, and it was all Trumps fault, here is a view from a respected comentator in the UK. Andrew Neil.
Worth a read.
ANDREW NEIL asks - how can Joe Biden ever recover?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk › debate › article-9903067

"America’s bipartisan Afghan Study Group, set up by Congress, recommended six months ago that the U.S. position could be sustained with a military force of around 4,500, perhaps supplemented by several thousand Nato allies, whose primary purpose would be not to fight, but to provide the Afghan military with the leadership, backbone, intelligence and air power to confront the Taliban. "

The problem with this type of rhetoric is that it ignores the fact that 70% of Americans wanted all troops out of Afghanistan. It's one thing Trump actually got right.

Biden made mistakes, largely in not foreseeing that the Afghan government and army commanders would just cut and run, but I still can't see a solution where troops remained.

Compelling argument that a force of so few, have been able to keep some balance. Needed to be a united front, not just US, but can't help but feel the haste to leave has totally messed up an already mighty mess.

Very sad.

I don't think 20 years is too hasty. Even their best estimate had the Taliban taking Kabul in 6 months. Taking it in a day prevented a lot of blood being spilled.

For those of us wanting out, I can't see how it could turn out any different.

John Bolton the war criminal is losing his mind over this. Many Biden supporters were giving him credibility when he was speaking out over Trump as well. He's truly a person who needs to be vanquished to the afterlife, pure evil.

Compelling argument that a force of so few, have been able to keep some balance. Needed to be a united front, not just US, but can't help but feel the haste to leave has totally messed up an already mighty mess.

Very sad.
The telling remark in that article by Neil was that no American service personel have been killed since February 2020, so the loss of life had been stopped.
So that leaves you money and politics.