US Politics Thread | Page 639 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

It's interesting to see so many of my friends and family making comments about how terrible it is that the Taliban have retaken Afghanistan.

I don't expect the media to portray the full complexities of what is a very complicated situation in Afghanistan. Still, the Taliban are bad guys and they are going to take away women's rights is knuckledragger levels of simplification.

If anything, the last 20 years were an extremely expensive anomaly in Afghan history.

Forbes reckons it cost $300m per day for 20 years to fight the war in Afghanistan. That's how much it costs to provide women's rights to half of the population of Afghanistan against the will of the other half.
It's time for the hawks to step aside, people need to get used to the West being more insular. The US has only ever been a force for evil in terms of it's excursions into the Middle East and Latin America. The UK is hardly much different. It's terrible the Taliban are in power but it frankly shouldn't be our problem, not one big enough to justify an enormous and expensive military presence at least.

I hear Biden is after some close protection body guards.
I think you should apply Heath. You would do a fantastic job.

Col, if you don't like the facts, maybe just keep quiet about it.

Trump is a criminal who deserves prison times, and Biden is truly a family man with morals. If you don't like that, then ignore me.

I've put up with your snide comments for too long already.

It's interesting to see so many of my friends and family making comments about how terrible it is that the Taliban have retaken Afghanistan.

I don't expect the media to portray the full complexities of what is a very complicated situation in Afghanistan. Still, the Taliban are bad guys and they are going to take away women's rights is knuckledragger levels of simplification.

If anything, the last 20 years were an extremely expensive anomaly in Afghan history.

Forbes reckons it cost $300m per day for 20 years to fight the war in Afghanistan. That's how much it costs to provide women's rights to half of the population of Afghanistan against the will of the other half.

I don’t think the average Brit or Z list Celeb on social media posting about the issue fully understand they aren’t Al-Qaeda. Of course, Al-Qaeda will be better placed under the Taliban - probably funded directly or indirectly.

That’s not to defend the taliban as per your caveat, but they are different. I think there is a portrayal in the British and western media of certain groups that fits a narrative and you could be led to believe the Taliban are about to kill every woman who breathes at the moment. It doesn’t help they stand in the parliamentary houses with automatic rifles of course, not something we are used to seeing here.

I would like to see more balanced reporting, are there people in Kabul who want the Taliban to seize control quicker so that the country can settle down again? Democracy is a new phenomenon over there, has it been enough time for people to truly value what it tries to do? Perhaps not in some cases.

I’m of the view like many the west can’t stay there forever, and this advance was inevitable. It’s been strategically poor and embarrassing for America, scrambling people out at the last minute. Inevitably some will lose their lives and the least Britain could do is protect those few people who were allies, but as someone put it the other day, those new Tory voters in Stoke and Rochdale would rather they lose their heads than move in next door.

I don’t think the average Brit or Z list Celeb on social media posting about the issue fully understand they aren’t Al-Qaeda. Of course, Al-Qaeda will be better placed under the Taliban - probably funded directly or indirectly.

That’s not to defend the taliban as per your caveat, but they are different. I think there is a portrayal in the British and western media of certain groups that fits a narrative and you could be led to believe the Taliban are about to kill every woman who breathes at the moment. It doesn’t help they stand in the parliamentary houses with automatic rifles of course, not something we are used to seeing here.

I would like to see more balanced reporting, are there people in Kabul who want the Taliban to seize control quicker so that the country can settle down again? Democracy is a new phenomenon over there, has it been enough time for people to truly value what it tries to do? Perhaps not in some cases.

I’m of the view like many the west can’t stay there forever, and this advance was inevitable. It’s been strategically poor and embarrassing for America, scrambling people out at the last minute. Inevitably some will lose their lives and the least Britain could do is protect those few people who were allies, but as someone put it the other day, those new Tory voters in Stoke and Rochdale would rather they lose their heads than move in next door.

Kabul is part of the Pashtun tribal area so you can be sure that there are a lot of Taliban supports there.

but as someone put it the other day, those new Tory voters in Stoke and Rochdale would rather they lose their heads than move in next door.
I understand the sentiment in the comment, however for those people who live in the areas that these Afghans will go to it is understandable that they dont want them.
Its human nature.
The areas will already be deprived and rundown and will suffer from all the issues that poverty brings, the drugs, the violence and the gangs.
I dont think being a new Tory voter comes into it, these will be ordinary working people who were left with no-one to vote for because The Labour Party are like a failed state. They are not a serious alternative to cast a vote for.

Much has changed since 2001. The Taliban have evolved, and in a strange way, they are going to needs America's help in the coming years, as they try and rebuild.
The country is also one of those most at risk from climate change, which the Taliban acknowledge. Time to take a step back, and see what actually happens now, rather than getting all hysterical.

It's why he's trying to get as much done as possible in his first two years. The pace of new Bills coming through is huge.

i cant understand where the taliban get there armoury from, who is supplying them and how they have headquarters in Qatar, the americans have the airport and the taliban are in control of who goes there,, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, seanie

Interesting to see how left leaning Washington Post are reacting, e.g.

Biden’s promise to restore competence to the presidency is undercut by chaos in Afghanistan

....But over the past few days, the images from Afghanistan have put on vivid display an inability to plan, an underestimation of a foreign adversary, an ineffective effort to scramble and make up for it — and, as Biden demonstrated in a brief address Monday, an attempt to deflect full responsibility....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eaaebc-feaf-11eb-ba7e-2cf966e88e93_story.html

Much has changed since 2001. The Taliban have evolved, and in a strange way, they are going to needs America's help in the coming years, as they try and rebuild.
The country is also one of those most at risk from climate change, which the Taliban acknowledge. Time to take a step back, and see what actually happens now, rather than getting all hysterical.

Trouble is citizens are not going to forget their loved ones who have suffered appalling atrocities against them and accept the perpetrators as their leaders . Its not that long.

I mean, imagine living in a country where members of a terrorist organisation such as say..I dunno ... the IRA for example were accepted as legitimate politicians. Shouldn't happen.

Oh. Hang on.......

I’ve just seen a video of armed Taliban fighters on dodgems enjoying themselves… quite surreal.

That's so funny.

I had an American guy teaching for me years ago who had been in a very small, rural village in Morocco before joining us. He said the funfair used to come to town once a year and the dodgems were the most popular attraction. They would all pile in and then drive the cars very carefully around the rink in a circle. He got in and started smashing into people and they all went nuts at him. Lol

i cant understand where the taliban get there armoury from, who is supplying them and how they have headquarters in Qatar, the americans have the airport and the taliban are in control of who goes there,, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, seanie
This was a question they came up on the news. They reckon the Russians were supplying them through a third party. They also raise more than 1 billion a year through hostage taking and drugs. This enables them to buy them and there will always be someone willing to sell them to them.

This was a question they came up on the news. They reckon the Russians were supplying them through a third party. They also raise more than 1 billion a year through hostage taking and drugs. This enables them to buy them and there will always be someone willing to sell them to them.
That would be hilarious. The US supply the Mujahideen to kick the Russians out of Afghanistan in the 80s and now the Russians are (allegedly) helping the Taliban against America's interests today.

Thats the way it goes mate.

Exactly, just look at Syria. We’re always fed a narrative the US and the West are right, but I have wondered in the past whether the west just made a complete clusterfuck of Syria and actually there would’ve been less bloodshed and barrel bombing has the Russian backed Government forces been allowed to win.

It’s all speculation from my observations, I’m not an expert on these topics and someone may disagree with me (and educate me)

Exactly, just look at Syria. We’re always fed a narrative the US and the West are right, but I have wondered in the past whether the west just made a complete clusterfuck of Syria and actually there would’ve been less bloodshed and barrel bombing has the Russian backed Government forces been allowed to win.

It’s all speculation from my observations, I’m not an expert on these topics and someone may disagree with me (and educate me)
And dont forget Iraq. We backed Saddam Hussain and supplied him with arms in the war against Iran.