UEFA Nations League | Page 6 | Vital Football

UEFA Nations League

Toilet. Under Southgate we've become obsessed about keeping possession but not being able to do anything with that possession. Sideways and backwards keeping possession, then when we do try and go forward we simply give it away.

Tripper at LB didn't work at all.

Sterling missed a sitter.

The competition has no meaning Sky weren't even interested in covering it, even though it's sole purpose was to make money foe UEFA.

The competition has no meaning Sky weren't even interested in covering it, even though it's sole purpose was to make money foe UEFA.

Sky don’t have the coverage.

I think I prefer the friendlies against nations you don’t normally come up against, they could have just tweaked those rules about.

Toilet. Under Southgate we've become obsessed about keeping possession but not being able to do anything with that possession. Sideways and backwards keeping possession, then when we do try and go forward we simply give it away.

Tripper at LB didn't work at all.

Sterling missed a sitter.

The possession with no end product started under Hodgson but Southgate has had better players / players in form more than Hodgson did. I do think when we play well, we play very well, and think a lot of our recent better performances have been in bigger games, so won’t be too critical of Southgate yet - none of the players want to be playing these games in mid June, season has just finished and pre-season is imminent. All the other supposed “big” nations are also struggling.

Trippier at LB, I agree with you entirely. I know the options are currently limited, but I’d rather see any top-flight left back used over a right-footed left back who doesn’t use his left foot. When Trippier goes on the overlap and gets into space only to cut back, that is depressing to watch. When Bowen came on, having someone who is comfortable on his left foot we looked much better balanced, but we need left footed players at both ends of the pitch (Foden will also improve things offensively when fit). So I’d have happily seen Targett, Charlie Taylor or Aaron Cresswell play in these games in the absence of a proper left back. None are as good as Chilwell (who I hope will be first choice when fit), but still tidy options in the absence of anyone else.

Finally, I don’t like to fall into the trap of joining the scapegoat bandwagon, but how has Mount started every game? He slows the game down for me, takes too many touches, and isn’t quick or skilful enough when in good positions - never looks like scoring or assisting. He’s started probably 90% of games when available the past two years, we’ve seen enough of him to know his game, others in that squad offer a lot more in my opinion and should be given a chance.

I am one of those who is still astounded that they gave him the job with his CV. Apart from the fact its jobs for the boys as he was already working for the FA.
his spell as club manager at Middlesborough was unremarkable and based on safety first recirculating play. Yes the modern boring approach to football.

once again how did that get him the u21 job where we had the same approach. At least in the qualifiers a bit mire positive but as soon as the tournament started back to the negatives and worse if we managed to get a goal up and then just defend.

evidently that failure led to getting the current job where we get the same. I have though been pleasantly surprised in some of the performances but the way we went out of the two winnable tournaments was very poor.

exactly why would anyone keep two strikers (rashford, sancho) off of the pitch apart from them standing on the sideline like two spares at a wedding waiting to come on cold to take penalties.
mind you he does virtue signal well.

i am normally wrong so will be happy to eat humble pie.

I think it's better than pointless friendlies but clearly playing 4 games after a season when the next one starts early is bonkers. Money money money.

Think I preferred the friendlies against teams we wouldn’t normally play, but would want limited subs to improve them.

I am one of those who is still astounded that they gave him the job with his CV. Apart from the fact its jobs for the boys as he was already working for the FA.
his spell as club manager at Middlesborough was unremarkable and based on safety first recirculating play. Yes the modern boring approach to football.
i am normally wrong so will be happy to eat humble pie.

Jerry, his CV was OK and the past is all water under the bridge. Negativity will get us nowhere; give the bloke a chance, please. I mean, apart from missing, well, aimlessly blasting over, that vital, crucial, whole Country depending on it, game changing, 1996 tournament defining penalty against, of all people, the bloody Germans, the bloke has done nothing except be determined to avoid defeat! I fully support the loser, with no reservations.

No one can argue against what Southgate has acheived. Yes the football is uninspiring considering our attacking talents but it's what works in tournament football and it's tournament success that we all crave. The last few years has been the most successful England period in a lot of our lives and tournaments have actually been enjoyable.

Jerry, his CV was OK and the past is all water under the bridge. Negativity will get us nowhere; give the bloke a chance, please. I mean, apart from missing, well, aimlessly blasting over, that vital, crucial, whole Country depending on it, game changing, 1996 tournament defining penalty against, of all people, the bloody Germans, the bloke has done nothing except be determined to avoid defeat! I fully support the loser, with no reservations.

Lancs, Waddle blasted it over it 1990. Southgate struck it lamely just off centre and the keeper saved it easily in 1996.

Lancs, Waddle blasted it over it 1990. Southgate struck it lamely just off centre and the keeper saved it easily in 1996.

But did he miss ? Did he let the whole nation down ? Was he still a loser ? OK, so he didn`t blast it over the bar - but then, i`ve told myself, at least ten million times, that i`m prone to exaggeration.

No one can argue against what Southgate has acheived. Yes the football is uninspiring considering our attacking talents but it's what works in tournament football and it's tournament success that we all crave. The last few years has been the most successful England period in a lot of our lives and tournaments have actually been enjoyable.
Success isn't enough, we must win by at least 5 goals 😡

I support the England team and the manager 100% during matches but i do not have to believe the hype about his cv and his decision making.

However there is currently no reason not to back him and there is nobody good enough available to replace him so lets hope for a successful tournament.

maybe some of us were spoilt after watching us win the world cup in 66 and perform brilliantly in the 70 world cup.

Southgate deserves so much credit for what he has done. Not just the final and semi final but creating an atmosphere the players really enjoy and look forward to meeting up which never used to be the case.

that’s not to deny his tactical shortcomings. When we were being outplayed by Germany last week it was hard not to reflect that one manager took Middlesbrough to 12th yonks back and the the other won the champions league a couple of seasons ago.

still we should be fresh and sharp in November and if we can develop a bit more guile and move the ball faster in the final third I expect us to do well.