Transfers - Summer 2024 | Page 18 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2024

and £50 mill...

We will not be going for top price outstanding players until we are regularly picking up silverware - until then, the task for our recruitment team is finding players that could become that...
Agreed.

My point was, take Guimaraes or Paqueta as an example.

Both are considered £100m players now but two years ago were signed by Newcastle and West Ham respectively for £40m/£50m.

I’d prefer us to continue to sign £40m/£50m players and let them become £100m players.

Brennan Johnson is an example of this. If he carries on developing and say scores 15/20 goals next season with another 10/15 assists then he will be on his way to being classed as a £100m player.

More signings like this would be my preferred strategy.

Agreed.

Both are considered £100m players now but two years ago were signed by Newcastle and West Ham respectively for £40m/£50m.

I’d prefer us to continue to sign £40m/£50m players and let them become £100m players.

Brennan Johnson is an example of this. If he carries on developing and say scores 15/20 goals next season with another 10/15 assists then he will be on his way to being classed as a £100m player.

I'd prefer to source them when they're even younger or at least develop a dual approach.

I don't care where we are in the food chain, i don't ever want to see us sign superstars.

Agreed.

If Johnson scored anywhere near 15/20 goals & contributed 10/15 assists, then he’d be worth far more than £100m as he’d be one of the best players in Europe! Very few players that play in his position get those sorts of numbers!

If Johnson scored anywhere near 15/20 goals & contributed 10/15 assists, then he’d be worth far more than £100m as he’d be one of the best players in Europe! Very few players that play in his position get those sorts of numbers!
He has 4 goals and 7 assists in 23 league games this season. In 10 of those games he’s played 45 mins or less.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have 25/30 goal involvements next season. In fact it’s the kind of development I except to see in him.

I'd prefer to source them when they're even younger or at least develop a dual approach.

I don't care where we are in the food chain, i don't ever want to see us sign superstars.
That part I agree with. As far as the rest, sign what we need including the psychological/experience make up.

Perisic was an excellent signing.
Agreed 80.

A multifaceted approach is needed.

More signings like Johnson in the £50m bracket, underpinned by signing the likes of Phillips for £2m.

The odd signing of a 30+ someone with the class of a Perisic, Modric, Bale etc shouldn’t be sniffed at either.

He has 4 goals and 7 assists in 23 league games this season. In 10 of those games he’s played 45 mins or less.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have 25/30 goal involvements next season. In fact it’s the kind of development I except to see in him.
Although I’d love that to happen, I think those numbers are highly doubtful. Very few players in the PL reach those numbers, let alone someone of Brennan’s age.
I’d expect his contribution to increase but I also expect some inconsistency in there as he’s still learning his trade.

Although I’d love that to happen, I think those numbers are highly doubtful. Very few players in the PL reach those numbers, let alone someone of Brennan’s age.
I’d expect his contribution to increase but I also expect some inconsistency in there as he’s still learning his trade.
Another goal on top of what should have been at least another assist.

I really think next season will be a breakout year for him Swindon so long as he stays fit and healthy.

Watching the game last night really had me thinking about our striker situation.

With the talent we have in the team, I’d really like to see a really strong number 9. Someone who can hold the ball up and allow the likes of Maddison, Bentancur, Johnson, Werner and Kulusevski to play off of.

Exactly what I want. Richi and Son are horrendously lacking in that dept.

I wonder how many counter attacks come from those two losing the ball?

I know I bang on about Gibbs-White but he was so good against Fulham, I would venture to suggest he is currently better than Maddison and should be in the England team ahead of him. He would bring much needed energy to our midfield.

I'm a fan of MGW.

I'm not sure he's elite in the final third, but he doesn't do what Madds did last week. Madds was not as far up the pitch as either Sarr or Udogie but still thought it was acceptable for both of his team mates to pass him on the way back to defend. Luton's scored.

That's not how MGW approaches the game. His 100% is more than the 100% of some of ours.

I know I bang on about Gibbs-White but he was so good against Fulham, I would venture to suggest he is currently better than Maddison and should be in the England team ahead of him. He would bring much needed energy to our midfield.
He was absolutely outstanding for England u-21's and in a better team, it is worth thinking about what he could achieve - I'd love to see us get him, Maddison has a horrible injury record, mainly because he gets upended so much and so little protection - he'd be perfect competition for him.

He's ready to step up, but word is ManC's people are already talking to his advisors - I hope he doesn't go there, or he'll be another one picking splinters out of his arse when he needs to be playing.

He was absolutely outstanding for England u-21's and in a better team, it is worth thinking about what he could achieve - I'd love to see us get him, Maddison has a horrible injury record, mainly because he gets upended so much and so little protection - he'd be perfect competition for him.

He's ready to step up, but word is ManC's people are already talking to his advisors - I hope he doesn't go there, or he'll be another one picking splinters out of his arse when he needs to be playing.
I could see City looking at him as a long term replacement for De Bruyne.

I thought City were after Paqueta this summer. It’s very unlikely to be both.

If anything MGW would be there back up option should they be priced out of a move for Paqueta I’d imagine.