Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 64 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

Few contemporary footballers divide opinion like Timo Werner, often within the same game, sometimes within the same phase of play.
Werner’s stock was high when he signed for Chelsea in 2020, having scored 28 goals and assisted eight more for RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga — figures that put him in the same numerical bracket as Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski that season.
His pace and movement looked like a perfect fit for the Premier League. But while those attributes were certainly demonstrated in his two years at Stamford Bridge, what Werner became known for was an incredible series of missed chances, perhaps illustrated best with an open goal double goalline miss against Leeds in December of his first season.
It comes as little surprise, then, that in his two years in England, Werner underperformed his expected goals by more (-8.26) than any other Premier League player in that period.
But the philosophical point remains: is it better to have a player frequently getting into these positions and (sometimes) not scoring than it is having a more reliable but less chaotic force in the team?
Werner’s movement does create acres space for others, and you have to think that in an Ange Postecoglou side he might become unplayable in ways football philosophers are yet to fully envisage.
And let’s not forget that Chelsea were pretty good when he played for them. They won the Champions League with Timo Werner in the team, they are unlikely to win it without him in the side for some time yet.
2023-24 is a season in which Tottenham fans have embraced chaos. Why not add Werner to the mix?

Poch today on Gallagher:

“I cannot, no. Look, I cannot guarantee I will be here after tomorrow! In football, things can happen and it is between the club and the player. Only the player can guarantee or the club.”

“(It is up to) the player more than the club because he still has one year and a half left on his contract. He can stay. He can say ‘yes I am going to be here because my contract allows me to be here’. And then the club, it is a decision no? It’s about making the best decision for the club and the player.

“Like all players at different clubs, when you arrive at this point it is always the time to talk and make a decision about the future. But at this moment there is nothing to announce, nothing to say. The club is happy with him, he is happy here.”

Poch today on Gallagher:

“I cannot, no. Look, I cannot guarantee I will be here after tomorrow! In football, things can happen and it is between the club and the player. Only the player can guarantee or the club.”

“(It is up to) the player more than the club because he still has one year and a half left on his contract. He can stay. He can say ‘yes I am going to be here because my contract allows me to be here’. And then the club, it is a decision no? It’s about making the best decision for the club and the player.

“Like all players at different clubs, when you arrive at this point it is always the time to talk and make a decision about the future. But at this moment there is nothing to announce, nothing to say. The club is happy with him, he is happy here.”

That's not that comforting to Chelsea fans if they want him to stay

Dragusin (if he's anything like VDV), Gallagher and Werner would add incredible depth!

All of a sudden after Sarr and Son get back, we're going to have a bloody marvelous beginnings of a squad!

Vicario,

Porro/Emerson - VDV/Davies - Romero/Dragusin - Udogie/Sess

Bentancur/Biss - Sarr/Gallagher - Maddison/Lo Celso

Kulu/Solomon - Richi/Son - Johnson/Werner

Lovely!

We'll have to revisit this one, I always liked the look at him at the chav's, but he seemed to have a complete crisis and suffered a bad lack of confidence out of the blue, I've now reviewed most of his goals last season, and if he does that for us, he really could be a big hit!

He was a 1 in 3 game striker in the bundesliga too. That's pretty shit.

Pre Chelsea he was outstanding... Somewhere along the way he became broken. I remember Leipzig coming to town in Champions league and watching him thinking he was razor sharp. If big Ange can fix him we could have a serious player on our hands

We've mentioned around here before but sometimes a player just stops being themselves over night.

Dele and torres were prime examples of this. Great one week and then awful the next. They never recovered once broken.

Werner has a goal every 3 games since going back to Germany. In the farmers league, that's pretty woeful.

We've mentioned around here before but sometimes a player just stops being themselves over night.

Dele and torres were prime examples of this. Great one week and then awful the next. They never recovered once broken.

Werner has a goal every 3 games since going back to Germany. In the farmers league, that's pretty woeful.
Torres was run into the ground by Liverpool. That was largely down to Benitez who continually played him whilst he was carrying injuries. By the time they sold him to Chelsea he was wrecked. And to rub salt in the wounds they managed to hoodwink them into spending £50m for him.

Torres was run into the ground by Liverpool. That was largely down to Benitez who continually played him whilst he was carrying injuries. By the time they sold him to Chelsea he was wrecked. And to rub salt in the wounds they managed to hoodwink them into spending £50m for him.

Certainly was. But I also think it's because he played so much at 17-21 as well whilst at Madrid.

Similar things happened with Owen (causing more injuries) and arguably dele.

I just don't think werner has that yard of pace anymore nor does he have the finishing.

This just smells of we have no money so will go for the cheapest option. Perhaps understandably as I think we have plenty of wingers on board right now.

Tottenham have agreed an initial loan deal for RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner.

The Athletic reported that the clubs were finalising a move for the former Chelsea player to initially return to the Premier League until the end of the 2023-24 season.

Agreement has now been reached for a loan with an option to buy believed to be in the region of €15-20million.

Tottenham will cover Werner’s full salary for the remainder of the campaign, with the 27-year-old set to undergo a medical as soon as possible.

Manchester United had also monitored Werner, but he is now poised to link up with Ange Postecoglou’s side.

RB Leipzig confirmed on Saturday that Werner would miss their friendly against St Gallen due to transfer talks.

Werner swapped RB Leipzig for Chelsea in for £47.5million in 2020 but was unable to replicate his Bundesliga goalscoring form and struggled to hold down a regular starting spot in west London.

He scored 23 goals in 89 appearances for the Stamford Bridge side, but returned to RB Leipzig in the summer of 2022 after making only 15 Premier League starts the previous season.

Werner has featured 14 times for RB Leipzig so far this term, scoring two goals and recording one assist.