Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 21 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

Excuse me games are won at the other end of the pitch, take Son and Kane out of our team the rest is rather average.

That's true for most other teams. It would be interesting to see goal distribution across all teams.

My feeling is that it always takes Spurs too long to shift the players that aren't in our future plans. If there are respectable offers for these players, then I would take them now. I'd take the risk of the squad looking slightly smaller because I'd trust the younger players to plug gaps. I'd rather have the money in my pocket.

My feeling is that it always takes Spurs too long to shift the players that aren't in our future plans. If there are respectable offers for these players, then I would take them now. I'd take the risk of the squad looking slightly smaller because I'd trust the younger players to plug gaps. I'd rather have the money in my pocket.

One of the rare occasions recently where we agree!

lol - well let's test the theory further.

I'm offloading Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Toby (summer), Sissoko (summer), Moura, Lamela. I'm definitely sending Bale back.

If financially possible, I'm keeping Gedson, Dele, Gio and Vinicius as part of our great future.

Your turn !!!

Well, Muttley that theory didn't last long, within 30 minutes you had to mention keeping D & G!

lol - well let's test the theory further.

I'm offloading Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Toby (summer), Sissoko (summer), Moura, Lamela. I'm definitely sending Bale back.

If financially possible, I'm keeping Gedson, Dele, Gio and Vinicius as part of our great future.

Your turn !!!
I agree with most of that although many changes in 1 window rarely goes well. But I think there's value in keeping Toby around. Of course he's in decline but provided he is accepting of not being a regular starter then it would be good to have his experience ready to step in.

I think it's a case of keeping either Sanchez or him.

well, I can't agree with that, when you consider what business we did in Jan and how little we've rotated/had them available, our squad depth (apart from RB perhaps) is impressive - but that's only if he can get them all playing, all competing for a place and most importantly, playing with intent to win well.

We have shown rotation when it is needed due to injury, etc...

Vini has had virtually zero time in meaningful matches. Rodan or however his name is spelled...don't see him enough to know. Gedson, etc etc etc...

Our youngsters largely get NO playing time...

I wouldn't have been surprised if Kane played a whole 90 against Marine...

Take a look at the second team on the top 4-6 clubs... and see how we match up.

We need to start rotating players early...not wait for them to break down...looking at your ankle Kane!

Last edited:
I agree with most of that although many changes in 1 window rarely goes well. But I think there's value in keeping Toby around. Of course he's in decline but provided he is accepting of not being a regular starter then it would be good to have his experience ready to step in.

I think it's a case of keeping either Sanchez or him.

Yeah, so what I meant is that if you get any offer for one of the fringe players then you have to take it. As you say, you obviously can't take offers for 6 of them in one window but that's unlikely to happen. The only 2 I would reluctantly decline in January is Toby and Sissoko. I'd take offers right now for Aurier, Sanchez, Moura, Lamela etc. That is because I can see every week that guys like Tanganga, Gedson, Dele, Winks aren't always making match day squads. We also have cover of White and Clarke behind them. Then we have players like Rodon and Gedson not named in UEFA competitions. That goes away if we lose a couple that aren't part of the future.

It's about being brave. I doubt we will be.

I agree that this window should be about thinning the squad and getting ready for the summer, I don't know if Vinicius has done enough to convince Jose to pay £40m for him.
I would certainly be looking at Costa on a free, he's a nightmare to play against.

Excuse me games are won at the other end of the pitch, take Son and Kane out of our team the rest is rather average.

Which goes back to scoring from midfield which without Eriksen and Alli we've shown we simply can't do; which then highlights Jose's tactics.

We have the players, we don't have the system to use them, Jose's tactcis of playing off our 18 yard line or deeper is why we have the second-best defence in the league and why we are almost entirely reliant on the hoof/pass over the top for Son or Kane to run onto, all of which bypasses the whole of our midfield.

We've shown we don't need to do that, we 'just' have to start with the intent to play football on the ground (where God intended it to be).

I agree that this window should be about thinning the squad and getting ready for the summer, I don't know if Vinicius has done enough to convince Jose to pay £40m for him.
I would certainly be looking at Costa on a free, he's a nightmare to play against.

I'll try and find a scouting report I had on him, he was a top scorer in Portugal, and I knew he'd need minutes here and time to settle, but he also now needs to start being brought on much much earlier and hoiking Kane off when he's being particularly poor - which has been happening for awhile now.

He has it in him to make the grade, selling him or sending him back now would be a huge mistake amongst a shed load of previous mistakes that happen when we take the short-term view.

Ditto. He has what he needs to implement a winning mentality. We just need to keep going. Giving Alfie Devine his first appearance was a very cool thing to do.

He has to believe in his players and show it in the way he sets up and his match management, until he does the temptation to revert to type is just too big for him.

I'll try and find a scouting report I had on him, he was a top scorer in Portugal, and I knew he'd need minutes here and time to settle, but he also now needs to start being brought on much much earlier and hoiking Kane off when he's being particularly poor - which has been happening for awhile now.

He has it in him to make the grade, selling him or sending him back now would be a huge mistake amongst a shed load of previous mistakes that happen when we take the short-term view.
He doesn't look happy to me Ex, maybe that's just his demeanor. His goal record is fine but his all round contribution looks a little short to me, his first touch doesn't look great either

He doesn't look happy to me Ex, maybe that's just his demeanor. His goal record is fine but his all round contribution looks a little short to me, his first touch doesn't look great either

To be honest I don't know what you're basing that on, Sunday's pitch was a ploughed field around the box and he really hasn't had enough minutes to settle and play his normal game - the man's a goalscorer and from what I can see of his vids from Portugal, his first touch looks pretty decent.

Unpopular opinion - N'dombele should be sold while his stock his still high.
He doesn't have the mentality to be a world class player and often goes missing. His body language and explosive relationship with Jose doesn't help.
GLC and Ndombele came in each for roughly what ManU paid for Fernandes, look at what he's achieved and where these lads are.

I'd say N'dom took too long to get to this fitness level, but as he's about the only creative with skills we have left, letting him go would be a massive mistake and that would be the end of all hope of playing through our midfield and not over it.

Assuming he is now fit, watch the impact he has.

How's things?

Last edited:
Unless we can renegotiate the fee for Gedson I can't see us keeping him, I do think he could do a job for us. The problem is for me we have too many players that aren't really pushing for a starting spot, we are at the stage IMO that any purchase would need to be top notch and that will cost big money.

Davies and Sissoko have had excellent seasons and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

Looks like Jose is interested in Militao (CB) at Real Madrid. Loan with option to buy perhaps.

Could be a replacement for Toby next season?

I’m a big fan of Vinicius, he needs more premier league game time.

Either replacing Harry earlier in games or playing with Harry with Harry in the 10 position.

Having Son, Kane and Vinicius on the field together gives us the extra goal threat we’ve all talked so much about this season.