Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 20 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

Dele will never fit into being a defensive set-up/midfielder - Jose wants another unicorn i.e. a box to box midfielder that can do it all e.g. Frank Lampard...

When you compare Dele's goal and assist record against the best in Europe he's bang in the top 10, even through his difficult period. But Jose plays so deep, his creativity can't be used at all.

It's why our goals from Midfield have dried up.
He's always had the best in the business at his disposal, not unlike a certain Pep Guardiola. To a certain extent he now has a handful of players that are up there however Dele & a couple of others are talented prospects, they're not the finished article... yet.

From Jose's perspective, Dele seems to be incapable of doing what he's been asking for. To counter quickly (during the transitional phase) & to control the ball better. The lad's clearly a talent but i've got to admit i agree with Jose here. His close ball control is shocking. His movement & finishing & yes even his workrate are top notch, thing is until he can show improvement in other key areas i doubt we'll see him anywhere near the first team.

The one thing we can all say about Eriksen is that when he was up for it the ground he covered was utterly remarkable - he was always our no.1 or no.2 in every game, until of course, he switched off, or just couldn't do it anymore.

No great pace, but plenty of skills and was creative, so might be enough to persuade Jose he'd be worth getting back again as a cheapish loan for the rest of the season, because when Kane and Son start struggling who can he turn to when Delle has gone?
Speed of mind. Eriksen is capable of doing what no other player in this team can. Still wouldn't have him mind.

He's always had the best in the business at his disposal, not unlike a certain Pep Guardiola. To a certain extent he now has a handful of players that are up there however Dele & a couple of others are talented prospects, they're not the finished article... yet.

From Jose's perspective, Dele seems to be incapable of doing what he's been asking for. To counter quickly (during the transitional phase) & to control the ball better. The lad's clearly a talent but i've got to admit i agree with Jose here. His close ball control is shocking. His movement & finishing & yes even his workrate are top notch, thing is until he can show improvement in other key areas i doubt we'll see him anywhere near the first team.
Unfortunately Steve, having poor ball control doesn't distinguish him from many other of our attacking players in the squad with whom he is competing for a place.

Unfortunately Steve, having poor ball control doesn't distinguish him from many other of our attacking players in the squad with whom he is competing for a place.
Son would be most guilty of that Gary but then again all offer greater speed of thought. Dele lingers on the ball for too long or else it pings off him like something out of a pinball machine. In the final third he's a much bigger threat & off the ball he remains one of the best in the business for his stealth.

Dele will never fit into being a defensive set-up/midfielder - Jose wants another unicorn i.e. a box to box midfielder that can do it all e.g. Frank Lampard...

When you compare Dele's goal and assist record against the best in Europe he's bang in the top 10, even through his difficult period. But Jose plays so deep, his creativity can't be used at all.

Maybe no one else does, but I appreciate the reality-infusion in the midst of all these fuzzy mirrors.

It's amazing how truly deep the manufactured "realities" of fans can be when they think they've got a thread of truth, when in fact they're prolly just sheepin' along with the propaganda.

Keep on keepin on Ex.

I like the kid. He's a good lad to have around the dressing room & seems an affable enough fella. Thing is he's lost his edge, that spark that made him the phenomenal prospect he once was. I honestly believe in reigning him in we've lost one of the biggest prospects this country has ever seen.

With an abundance of inadequate retention throughout the team, Alli's unique way of giving up possession adds to it. Maybe, if he had a better off the cuff ratio, we could be more tolerant towards his profligacy.

I agree about his movement, but disagree that his finishing is close to being as ruthless as it should be.

Firstly, apologies for debating Dele on this thread but didn't know how to reply to a post carried over to another thread.

I just watched the following 4 mins video on Sky:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11952366/dele-allis-best-premier-league-goals

The points to note:

Half of the goals he scored in that footage were hoofs from the back, namely Toby, which Dele executed majestically. So not much has changed under Jose in that regard.

He also had a good chemistry with Eiksen and Kane. So, no different with Kane of today, who plays deeper any way + if Dele stays, Eriksen back could reignite that chemistry?

It is patently obvious that it's a clash that can not be resolved amicably (hope I am wrong).

I think it wrong to suggest that he will not fit in to the present Jose system. He is as suitable as anyone else in the current squad. I personally saw some good signs in his limited appearances which just needed more encouragement rather than thrown under the bus. I guess if Jose wishes to remain stubborn with his setup, he may also be fearful that Dele may actually help take us up another level if unshackled. Jose's ego will not permit it.

Last edited:
I agree about his movement, but disagree that his finishing is close to being as ruthless as it should be.
He'll never be as clinical a striker as Kane & Son but for an attacking midfielder his numbers were pretty special. If we were to play to his strengths i believe he could still pose a serious threat. Never gonna happen though so we may as well put him up for sale.

He'll never be as clinical a striker as Kane & Son but for an attacking midfielder his numbers were pretty special. If we were to play to his strengths i believe he could still pose a serious threat. Never gonna happen though so we may as well put him up for sale.

Yes, but you've had to use the word 'were' there hasn't been much special about him for some considerable time. I think his many weaknesses will need work and repeated polishing for his few strengths to shine. So yeah sell him.

'Very unlikely': Guillem Balague reacts to Spanish club's second offer for Spurs star

Spanish journalist Guillem Balague says Valencia have made a second loan offer for Tottenham’s Harry Winks.
He claims that the Spanish outfit would pay his entire salary to bring him in on a temporary basis this month.

But he says that the loan payment Daniel Levy is demanding makes an exit very unlikely at the moment.
He expressed sympathy with the England international, saying he is currently ‘stuck’ at Spurs.

He did say that Winks isn’t wanted by Jose Mourinho – which might be a claim some fans take exception to.

Winks has played for Spurs in their last three Premier League games and two most recent EFL Cup matches.
The Englishman hasn’t been first choice, but the fact Mourinho has been using Winks would suggest that the midfielder isn’t quite ‘stuck’ at a club where he’s not wanted.
It remains to be seen what will happen with the loan bids coming in from Valencia for Winks.

It appears that Daniel Levy’s loan payment demands are the biggest stumbling block to a deal getting done.

And we’ll see if Levy eases up on those to allow Winks to maybe go and get regular football with the European Championship this summer in mind.

Doing nothing in this window will seal our fate as an outsider looking in.

well, I can't agree with that, when you consider what business we did in Jan and how little we've rotated/had them available, our squad depth (apart from RB perhaps) is impressive - but that's only if he can get them all playing, all competing for a place and most importantly, playing with intent to win well.

Not sure if the incumbent can justify the necessity for any incomings given the backing he had in the last TW. There is plenty of room for improvement for sure but some of the underperformers and seldom used were brought in during his tenure so before we chuck the baby out with the bath water I'd like to see a tad more perseverance and man management in the directions of the players he obviously wanted to play within his systems.

The perennial "we need to sell before we buy" has never been so relevant . It will be quite difficult to bring in any quality when so many of our past (i.e. Bale & Co) performers hardly get a look in.

Even against 8th tier opposition Gareth looked anonymously average.

well, I can't agree with that, when you consider what business we did in Jan and how little we've rotated/had them available, our squad depth (apart from RB perhaps) is impressive - but that's only if he can get them all playing, all competing for a place and most importantly, playing with intent to win well.

Ditto. He has what he needs to implement a winning mentality. We just need to keep going. Giving Alfie Devine his first appearance was a very cool thing to do.

What's impressive is the K&S partnership, outside that including a disappointing Bale, wouldn't give a decent team cause to worry.