Transfer Targets 2021/22 Season | Page 17 | Vital Football

Transfer Targets 2021/22 Season

Slave :ROFLMAO: was probably told he had to sell and that Berge would 100% be going. The question is will the club reduce their price ?. I think they will have to do. I am not questing Slav at all but i have brought the debate back to what investment the Prince will put in to help get promotion. Without the sale of Berge it will not be alot.

Yes, let's reduce the price off an International midfielder and goalkeeper so that we can replace them with non international standard players.

That's about as Sheffield United as it gets

Do we have any evidence for our desperate need to sell some of our jewels, or are we just guessing based on a fag packet calculation.?

Definitely guessing because 'evidence', as usual, would be very difficult wouldn't it?

Any scenario where we spend big without selling would shock me, at this point.

Yes, let's reduce the price off an International midfielder and goalkeeper so that we can replace them with non international standard players.

But still players good enough to get us up, and more than just 2 players as well. Then if we don't go up, which is always probable, we're not facing financial problems with depreciating assets who we're more desperate to sell than ever.

Keeping them would be a gamble and may mean we're hardly able to bring any real quality in. It's also unlikely we'll ever be able to get more for them. Their 'youth factor' will be gone soon and their contracts are always closer to expiring.

Signing Hourihane is a bit like getting socks for Christmas. You know you're going to get good use out of them and they'll serve you well but you also know not much thoughts gone into it and you can't help but feel underwhelmed.

A bit harsh maybe for a player with over 80 goals, 80 assists and over 450 senior appearances.

I'm prepared to be shocked, if necessary... We just seem to have got a long way into the scenario of how we have to sell this player and that player to be able to refresh the squad ready for the season. Its quite a long list of 'must do' actions, and 'must buy' players, but its based on nowt much. I know you like to keep an eye on everyone herbs so I'm not trying to spoil your fun. Just a reminder that this is all just guesswork until we see what Slav has in his mind. I guess if there's a big offer for a player then you always have to consider that, but it seems other that a bit of paper talk, there is no urgency to move anyone on. I'll leave it to Slav to say if he's got what he wants for his system.

Definitely guessing because 'evidence', as usual, would be very difficult wouldn't it?

Any scenario where we spend big without selling would shock me, at this point.

I doubt we'll be spending big even if we sell. We've been told that we are looking at loans and "undervalued" players, and I expect that's what we'll sign either way. Teams don't usually improve by selling their best players, even when the money seems good.

Signing Hourihane is a bit like getting socks for Christmas. You know you're going to get good use out of them and they'll serve you well but you also know not much thoughts gone into it and you can't help but feel underwhelmed.

A bit harsh maybe for a player with over 80 goals, 80 assists and over 450 senior appearances.

In 145 Championship games, Hourihane has 30 goals and 31 assists, which is a goal involvement every 2.4 games. Impressive stats by themselves, but despite getting 5 goals and 3 assists in half a season at Swansea last year, none of their fans seem bothered that he is available but they aren't being linked with him. That speaks volumes to me, and like you I'm underwhelmed by the idea.

If we sign him then what the hell are we doing with Fleck, Freeman and Osborn?

Freeman can play further forward and Osborn at wing-back (although we already have one too many in that position) but I agree it's not an area we should be focusing on. We need to sign some attacking midfielders.

The Yorkshire post have an article about a Chelsea lad called Tino Anjorin, who is likely to be available for loan and might be someone Slav would be interested in. Another player we could have a look at is Taylor Richards of Brighton, who got 10 goals and 5 assists at Doncaster last year. Their fans rave about him and I imagine he'd be available for a Championship loan this season.

If we sign him then what the hell are we doing with Fleck, Freeman and Osborn?
Fair point although I’d say he is slightly different to Osborn and maybe freeman but still same position I’m not fussed either way like I said good at set pieces but price could be prohibitive

I’m not fussed either way like I said good at set pieces but price could be prohibitive

The "news" reports all suggested Hourihane would be a loan signing, so price shouldn't be an issue. Even if Villa want him to go permanently, he's in the final year of his contract so he shouldn't command a large fee.

If we're to keep Ramsdale and Berge then we can be strong, but still badly need to recruit a Jake Cooper centre back.

Do that then we can carry on with a system like this:

Ramsdale
Basham Egan Cooper
Baldock Berge Fleck Osborn
Burke McGoldrick
McBurnie

But then we're quite locked into this system because we don't have quality wide options to properly enable a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 with wide forwards. Our current forwards are all strictly central players with only Burke anything different, which is why I have him in the line up there.

If we're to keep Ramsdale and Berge then we can be strong, but still badly need to recruit a Jake Cooper centre back.

Do that then we can carry on with a system like this:

Ramsdale
Basham Egan Cooper
Baldock Berge Fleck Osborn
Burke McGoldrick
McBurnie

But then we're quite locked into this system because we don't have quality wide options to properly enable a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 with wide forwards. Our current forwards are all strictly central players with only Burke anything different, which is why I have him in the line up there.

Freeman and Osborn can both play as wide forwards, as can Brewster who has played there for Liverpool (in friendlies), Swansea and England U21s. I also think Bogle and Seriki could play in more advanced positions as well. That being said, if we are planning on playing that way then we should be looking to sign at least one player on loan who can fill one of those roles, probably two.

Freeman just about, Osborn no, Brewster no.

Osborn just isn't an attacking midfielder, and Brewster seems too lazy and immobile to operate in wide areas, he's a poacher, much like Sharp. Might have played there before but it doesn't necessarily mean much.

Bogle could potentially be an option.

But really, if we want wide forwards we need to sign at least one of the sort of calibre of guys like Cavaleiro, Harry Wilson or Ojo. Onel Hernandez might be an option too.

I agree and you make my point perfectly. We need to improve the squad without selling Berge or Ramsdale. Unfortunately that requires the owner to invest some of his own money to replace JOC and fund some loans.
I am beggining to think we will be better served by just stiicking with what we have and not spending any money until Slav has had more time to access the squad. Robinson and Gordon should be good enough to cover JOC until January.
If we are in a good position by then i am sure the Prince will be more open to squad reinforcements.

I agree and you make my point perfectly. We need to improve the squad without selling Berge or Ramsdale. Unfortunately that requires the owner to invest some of his own money to replace JOC and fund some loans.
I am beggining to think we will be better served by just stiicking with what we have and not spending any money until Slav has had more time to access the squad. Robinson and Gordon should be good enough to cover JOC until January.
If we are in a good position by then i am sure the Prince will be more open to squad reinforcements.
To mangle a well known phrase what you are saying is that those who got us out of it should be the ones to get us back in it!

To mangle a well known phrase what you are saying is that those who got us out of it should be the ones to get us back in it!
Not exactly, i believe and hope that Slav will use the academy lads alot more and hopefully get more out of the strikers. In a money no object ideal world we would go out and buy 2 high quality centre backs and 2 creative, pacy and entertaining midfield players. We are going to have to wheel and deal and alot of times you end up with players no better than you already have, especially if this is rushed in a panic buy way. I am eager for new faces like everyone else but in hindsight i think Slave taking his time to properly access is the right way forward in the long run.

One problem with just keeping the squad together and going with what we have is that, even if it is easily strong enough on paper, it is still the squad with the stench of last season's failure and simply needs freshening up with new faces, new energy, new motivation and new attitudes. I think it's extremely important.

Even if we can't afford to bring in real quality to add to what we have, it's an absolute must we bring new faces in to at least inject something more into the group and push them to perform.

A priority here would be to bring in those with good attitudes - motivated and ideally with something to prove.

Slavs said himself the squad needs freshening up so I’ve no doubts it will be whether we have heard of any of the players coming in is another matter expecting at least 2 loans maybe more, permanents I think will be from abroad as better value or as Slav says cheaper

Yes, I agree
I've never been one for demanding players to be signed

We very rarely sign a player that makes me think WOW!!! anyway.

Normally you can just smell the waste of money it's going to cost us over three or four years.

So outgoing players, especially those wanted by Liverpool or Arsenal, and we should be quoting them very unhappy, then it's up to them

There has been virtually no ins and outs ANYWHERE. The Euros have put dealings back, cash flow uncertainty going forward, and most clubs having little or nothing to spend makes it Prial of 3's.

Personally I'm totally layed back about ins and outs. very much hope we keep Sander and Ramsdale, and happy to get shot of Lundstram Mk # (great if he's already left to take up his full time job as Ms Vincents make up bag carrier).

Slav has apparently had his list approved and has stated publicly he will say nothing till the inks dry. Love this approach.
Just think for a moment. Would he have committed to us without concrete assurances on financial backing? Absolutely not.
Patience precious,patience.