Tonights Championship games | Page 5 | Vital Football

Tonights Championship games

Hull and Boro are the out of form teams , if they carry on they will drop for sure .
I should of put a tenner on Hull when they sold there best 2 players because i predicted this would happen as they have no goals in them now, i keep saying it but March is a big month with everyone down there playing each other ..
Let the battle commence :tank:

Hull and Boro are the out of form teams , if they carry on they will drop for sure .
I should of put a tenner on Hull when they sold there best 2 players because i predicted this would happen as they have no goals in them now, i keep saying it but March is a big month with everyone down there playing each other ..
Let the battle commence :tank:
We've peaked at the right time. Had a look at all the fixtures. A lot of the bottom 7 or 8 play each other. With confidence and results building we can definetly do this.

This is my first season watching Wigan/Championship football and I do agree that apart from Leeds I've not really been impressed with the standard this season. The top half of L1 is very much at this level, and the PL continues to push away in terms of quality.
Completely disagree with the second part of this post. In fact, I'd say its the opposite and that the gap between League One and the Championship is as further as it's ever been. The fact that the three promoted teams currently sit inside the bottom five and are the three favourites to go down with the bookies says it all.

Completely disagree with the second part of this post. In fact, I'd say its the opposite and that the gap between League One and the Championship is as further as it's ever been. The fact that the three promoted teams currently sit inside the bottom five and are the three favourites to go down with the bookies says it all.
The three at the bottom have definitely struggled this season, but I think what happens is the confidence and winning mentality can sometimes drop quite dramatically when you get promoted and you then struggle to rebuild. In particular, if you lack a little bit of magic to get some results against good teams. Barnsley and Luton have rallied over recent weeks and so aren't dead and buried just yet.

The defences are definitely more solid and organised at this level, and players make fewer individual errors. But League 1 is a pretty good league and the top teams play good football. I'm not sure why it is but a lot of Championship teams have underperformed relative to the players they have and money they've spent, and it's resulted in a tight and competitive league.

I agree about the gap between the top of L1 and the bottom of the Championship is growing, although i think Pubey was right that gap between the bottom and top of the Championship is one of the smallest it's ever been despite the massive spending difference.

The spiralling Prem money and the trickle down it has on the Championship is really starting to cause issues though for promoted and relegated sides. I think football outside the Prem is becoming increasingly like the financial markets in 2008 - a bubble that is unsustanable.

Decent result for us today with Forest beating Huddersfield 3-1 to keep us 5 points clear of them!(Huddersfield were lucky to get 1,a ridiculous penalty given to them in injury time).Goal difference could also be crucial as it's so tight at the bottom and as it stands ours looks healthy compared to the bottom 4.
But obviously the main thing is ourselves and we must remain focused on our job.Although we still have a lot of work to do, survival remains firmly in our hands and as it stands we have given ourselves a great chance!

In the other game Sheff Wed won 2-1 against Bristol City and moved onto 52 points.But remember they still have the possibility of a points deduction hanging over them,which could bring them back into the mix.

A good start for Vincent Kompany’s Burnley who were all over Huddersfield first half.

Only managed the one goal though.
Scott Twine came on as sub for Burnley impressed and unlucky not to score from a direct free kick against Lee Nichols.

Burnley fans are in for a very enjoyable season if that's the football they'll be watching week in week out. The only disappointment on their part will be that they didn't win by four or five. Someone will get a right panning off them down the line playing like that.

Really impressed by Burnley, they played football the way it should be played. Always on the attack, lots of movement on and off the ball, great balance between the physical, hard working side and pass and move posession football. It wasn't particularly clever or complicated it was just doing all the fundamentals exceptionally well.

I don't think individually their players were particularly better than many of sides at this level but the method of play got so much out of them. It's one game but one he'll of a first impression for Kompany's coaching ability.

West Brom 97th min equaliser at home to Burnley

I thought I was on for an away win bet with first hand knowledge.

Early days but just one defeat so far.
Top of the league more defeats than us.
Preston only managed to score TWO goals also above us!
I think it's going to be a condensed table this season.

I think you’re right and said similar week or two ago. No stand out teams like Fulham last season or really shite ones like Barnsley to occupy one of the relegation spots. I think it’ll take a record amount this season to stay up but the gap between 21st and 6th will be quite a small one. It’ll be nice if we can avoid dropping into the zone this season to avoid scoreboard pressure, so we just need to keep plugging away and pick up points where we can.

As the season wears/grinds on, the 5 subs rule could potentially make a huge difference to the outcome of a game.
A team with a deeper talent pool could change a game completely and win games that previously they might have lost or drawn.

There is the possibility that the team who brings on 3 subs first could tip the balance of a close game ... like Wigan & Millwall today

Last edited:
I think you’re right and said similar week or two ago. No stand out teams like Fulham last season or really shite ones like Barnsley to occupy one of the relegation spots. I think it’ll take a record amount this season to stay up but the gap between 21st and 6th will be quite a small one. It’ll be nice if we can avoid dropping into the zone this season to avoid scoreboard pressure, so we just need to keep plugging away and pick up points where we can.

I think we are too early in the season to make those judgements yet. Teams like Norwich, WBA and Burnley are still only bedding in and will no doubt improve over the next few weeks. Teams like us, Rotherham and Sunderland are still benefitting from the bounce from promotion and it will be difficult to maintain that. I think we will see the table develop over the next two or three games as teams settle into the division.

Just six points separate Burnley at the top of the Championship and Wigan in 15th place.

Burnley 1st have more draws than wins
Blackburn 5th have lost 2 more than Coventry bottom
Reading 6th have -5 goal difference.
FB_IMG_1666107382452.jpg

Burnley fans are in for a very enjoyable season if that's the football they'll be watching week in week out. The only disappointment on their part will be that they didn't win by four or five. Someone will get a right panning off them down the line playing like that.
Yep, this aged like a fine wine!