Tom Daley is GAY! | Page 4 | Vital Football

Tom Daley is GAY!

randy.stand - 2/12/2013 17:05

James06 - 2/12/2013 16:56

The Fear - 2/12/2013 16:46

...did you have any issues with friends?

Wasn't an issue on Vital as far as I can see,

If I may....

I actually felt very hurt that he'd never propositioned me.

There's still time Jim! :19:

Dont tempt me tiger, I'd break your back!

I didn't realise he announced it on Youtube. In which case of course the news papers are going to report it.

He's an Olympian, in the public eye and announced something about his private life in a very public way. It would have also got reported on had he said he like to sleep in jelly, or can fart the national anthem.

I know people are saying it isnt newsworthy and who gives a monkeys, but fair play to him I say. As Randy has said, it's as difficult thing to do as you can imagine. When a young sporting icon 'comes out' publicly it can only be a help to youngsters all over the country who (even though in this day and age they shouldn't) have fears and worries about people knowing they are gay and what peoples reaction will be.

Whether or not he wants to be, he's* a role model and clearly a very very good one.

*Tom Daly not Randy Stand - although actually it does apply to both.

I think we're all missing the key point in this debate.

When he does a dive where he enters the water feet first, will the expanded circumference of his bum hole create more of a splash and therefore cost Great Britain a gold medal hope?

James06 - 3/12/2013 12:01

I know people are saying it isnt newsworthy and who gives a monkeys, but fair play to him I say. As Randy has said, it's as difficult thing to do as you can imagine. When a young sporting icon 'comes out' publicly it can only be a help to youngsters all over the country who (even though in this day and age they shouldn't) have fears and worries about people knowing they are gay and what peoples reaction will be.

Whether or not he wants to be, he's* a role model and clearly a very very good one.

*Tom Daly not Randy Stand - although actually it does apply to both.

Well said, James. Whatever his (Tom) reasons, it can't have been easy.

DeanoVilla - 3/12/2013 12:06

I think we're all missing the key point in this debate.

When he does a dive where he enters the water feet first, will the expanded circumference of his bum hole create more of a splash and therefore cost Great Britain a gold medal hope?

:59:

Christ Almighty,I thought my sense of humour was warped.
Deano,you`re a natural !
Get on the stage.

I found this article sums it up perfectly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/diving/25193760

"The UK, US and Australia have come a long way [in terms of tolerance], but still have a way to go," Louganis told the BBC.

"But Tom Daley will always be Tom Daley to me, the little, well not so little anymore, kid who could rip like no other!

"He's a great young man, with great energy, and one of the nicest and politest people I have met in the diving world."

In an ideal world that should be all we need to know about him. If that world is not so impossible to imagine now, Daley really has made a big splash.

I found this part of the article interesting

''Estimates of how many gay people there are in any population are controversial, but 3% is widely considered to be a good guess. The Professional Footballers' Association has 4,000 members, so, by that estimate, approximately 120 of them would be gay.''

I dont think this is a fair assumption or likely figure at all. I know quite a few gay lads and only one of them is into football, and that's Randy.Stand. Similarly I am of the understanding that a higher proportion of girls that play football are gay - which also suggests the figures estimated above are incorrect.

I think it's fair to say that generally speaking, certain sports, pastimes, professions etc... suit certain people. To assume that 3% of footballers, rugby players, boxers etc... will be gay is a bit silly IMO. yet if you look at the amount of gay men who are dancers it's probably a lot higher than 3%.

The problem is, James, that it's all guestimates, because the Gay men are still afraid to come out.

I have friends that played Women's Cricket for Sussex, Kent and England, and they are all Gay. It's not frowned upon, so they feel more comfortable being honest about it.

Until it's fully accepted in our Society, then we will never know the actual numbers. In this day and age, I can't believe it's even an issue. We should have moved on, beyond such petty issues, by now.

Wasn't aware until today but this apparently made the news on the tv as well?

Seriously, in this day and age?!

Get over it I say. What people do in their private lives should be private, although I do accept it is good when people fight the stigma as it then helps others.

I find human kind most baffling.

More to do with his age I think Fear.

I guessed he was last year so not surprised.

It's his life, do what's best for yourself.

In this day and age, I can't believe it's even an issue. We should have moved on, beyond such petty issues, by now.
----

Ive already explained why its a issue - its because it could be seen as an infringement upon one's ideology of Utopia. You cant change this Heath, its part of humanity that the majority(worldwide) will automatically promote male/female relationships within a family environment. Homosexuality will never been classed in the same light worldwide. Where in human nature do you not see competitiveness? Nowhere, its in sport, living, relationships, employments etc - its entwined within human nature!

Yet what you are trying to do - instead of acceptance of natural human behaviour worldwide, you are judging. Yet it dosnt work that way..The judgemental side of things has absolutely nothing to do with it. The human race will continue down it's path regardless of what you think, nature will find its own way. Even if all the world changed tomorrow to your utopian viewpoint, nature will still prevail where by male and female relationships will come out tops - why? Because this has all happened before. Ive already mentioned on another thread whereby homosexuality was at one time seen "just as you are trying to promote" just another normal sexual orientation - yet our journey changed this. And if 200 years from now homosexuality is again seen as just normal practice again it will still revert back because nature and human behaviour chooses such.

not sure what age it would dawn on most people they are gay / straight?

But 19 isn't a surprising age surely, all the testosterone etc will have kicked in by then.

With those budgie smugglers he wears, he's probably a gay icon already!

The Fear - 3/12/2013 14:47

Wasn't aware until today but this apparently made the news on the tv as well?

Seriously, in this day and age?!

Get over it I say. What people do in their private lives should be private.

I disagree.

He's one of our most promising Olympians and he announced it on Youtube. Of course the press are going to report it.

The being gay thing isn't the issue, he could have announced anything on Youtube and it would have got reported.

He could have said he was running for Mayor, was going to sit in beans for charity, or hated Blacks. it would have made the news as he's famous and did revealed something about himself on Youtube.

I think jumping on the back of the press or saying it's anything to do with 'this day and age' and sexuality is besides the point.