Time for a new manager? | Page 43 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

I’ll throw another name in the mix.

Michael O’Neill

Nooooooooooooooo! Another throwback. Had up for drink-driving last summer.

Reckon the "young and hungry" wishes are really a desire for a manager who can inspire both players and fans, who can lift team spirit, have the players dying to get out onto pitch, bring youngsters through, etc ... Rather than the dour stuff dished out by most of the older generation managers.

Think Gerrard will succeed because he's been a leader a long time. He's a thoughtful lad and will know exactly what he wants to do and how to do it. Doesn't guarantee success but it's a big advantage.

Likewise Terry. Not so sure about Frank in the leadership stakes. He has more to prove. Maybe he will. But think it's great that generation getting into management; playing at the top over a long period must surely help.

Bruce will probably get till Xmas to sort things out provided the results pick up. Another couple of bad defeats could see his reign end a lot sooner. But who would come in? A proven older one or an upcoming young pretender? Whoever comes in will need to be able to handle the expectation of this great club and its vast fanbase. There will be no honeymoon period, they will be required to take this club back up to The Premier League within 2 seasons, no excuses.

Here's a report saying that some Villa fans are calling for Sanchez-Flores to take over from Bruce.....

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/1...l-for-quique-sanchez-flores-to-take-over-fro/

Yeah saw that Pride not a bad shout but also like the idea of Bilic took West Ham so high they got a nose bleed. Then lost players and crashed the following season, still think the guy is a decent manager lets face it every manager has been sacked at some stage its very few who have not had ups and downs. But if you have to pick one.....

Not a bad shout. Others mentioned in the responses to that thread are Bilic, Smith and Garcia.

The argument "who's better" doesn't hold water. There are plenty of managers around with the pedigree to do better.

What we have at the moment is nowhere near good enough. It will not get better. There may be odd-games where we sneak a win; with the squad we have it should be odds on. We will have great trouble getting above mid-table, whereas we should be comfortably top 6 for the season.

At a time when it's critical we start building for the future, we're stuck in a shambles because the manager is not good enough.

I thought the same about Japp Stamford at Reading, and he bought Bacuna.

You never know in football. If Bruce stays we will probably still be in the play-offs. We still have a lot of decent players.

The advantage of a new bloke (or gal), will be that every player has a clean slate and hopefully we might be able to get the best out of some of them. ATM a lot of the players we have a practically worthless.

Bruce will probably get till Xmas to sort things out provided the results pick up. Another couple of bad defeats could see his reign end a lot sooner. But who would come in? A proven older one or an upcoming young pretender? Whoever comes in will need to be able to handle the expectation of this great club and its vast fanbase. There will be no honeymoon period, they will be required to take this club back up to The Premier League within 2 seasons, no excuses.
That should be once great club.
Hardly say we have a vast fanbase as we only sell out villa park once in a blue moon, even in the prem it was only against the big 6.
Maybe one day we will get the local kids back who turn to Liverpool or Man u rather than the dross served at the Midlands clubs bar Wolves.??

That should be once great club.
Hardly say we have a vast fanbase as we only sell out villa park once in a blue moon, even in the prem it was only against the big 6.
Maybe one day we will get the local kids back who turn to Liverpool or Man u rather than the dross served at the Midlands clubs bar Wolves.??

Still get higher attendances than most PL clubs.

I'm fed up with hearing about "handle the expectations of this great club". The right candidate would be ecstatic to manage this club. The right candidate would have the confidence to not even think of the expectations.

Same applies to Bruce's comments about the players. It's he who's struggling, not the players.

I'd be quite happy to be relieved of this clown a.s.a.p I had dealings with someone who worked with Bruce at the shit and his discription of the 7. 1 defeat at home to Liverpool was laughable. Just fuck him off then we can all argue as to who should replace the 2m a season, 3 assistant managers, bullshitter. Cheeky bastard having a pop at the fans.
He managed them and I never wanted him, nothing ever good comes from that toilet.
Where are Brentford by the way?

John Terry's claret and blue army.

And before anyone starts.
Big Dave at the baggies and Super Frank at Derby doing well.

Never managed before.

And in the case of Big Dave he has had half his team ripped out after relegation and has many new players. Yet our manager , well according to him, apparently has had to start again with a new team.

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit Bruce .

The concern I have is that the jury is firmly out regards who have signed. Are they any good. I don't know. Even when Bruce goes is he leaving a sinking ship with these players?.

The only way we will know is to get someone new in to manage them because they look poor .

John Terry's claret and blue army.

And before anyone starts.
Big Dave at the baggies and Super Frank at Derby doing well.

Never managed before.

And in the case of Big Dave he has had half his team ripped out after relegation and has many new players. Yet our manager , well according to him, apparently has had to start again with a new team.

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit Bruce .

If you put a list of those 3 in front of me I would say Terry would be the standout candidate to go on and succeed in a career of coaching/management.

Plus he already knows most of the players and staff at the club so yes I'd go with that and be more than happy to show patience and give the guy time to build something,

Unlike Bruce who has never built anything long-term in his entire football management and has spent and wasted millions at the other clubs he has managed until he was sacked or walked into another job.

Last edited:
Apparently Brendan Rodgers interview showed clear frustration as Celtic manager today. He waxed lyrical about us when we got McGinn.