Time for a new manager? | Page 34 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

If we go up and can keep manage to keep our pick of the loanees....

Johnstone
Chester
Terry
Snodgrass
Adomah
Grealish
Kodjia

as 1st teamers.

Elmo
Hutton
Barney
Green
Hourihane
O'Hare
Davis

as squad players

So by my reckoning we need to buy 7 players (plus hopefully keep the loanees and Terry) and 4 of those 7 need to be ready to step straight in and be top quality.

In the current market, 4 top players, plus 3 bench warmers will cost around £160 million. GULP!

Personally think Terry will take a job at Chelsea if we get promoted. Much as I like Kodja and Albert ,not sure whether they could perform consistently at the highest level. Be a season of struggle for sure.

Which of this lot do you think can cope in the Prem McP? Personally I would struggle to find more than 4 or 5.

Know can cope or hope can cope? Fact is, we don't have a lot of choice. Given limited funds, it would be daft to spread those funds over too many players because we'd end up buying players we just hope could cope, which would be no better than keeping players who we just hope can cope.

We have some players who we'd be reasonably sure could cope in the PL, and others we have to take chance on. If we can get a bit of class in two or three critical positions, then it raises the performance of the team as a whole and hopefully improves those players we're taking a chance on.

If we don't go up it means he will have failed to hit target despite having the largest budget in the division.

Give someone else a chance and preferably one who will play some of our younger players.

If we do get promotion then it would be very unfair to replace him.

I hope it's the latter.

Finally a lot of people go on about Warnock being a ****** etc, just remember where he is in the league and having very little to spend.

If we don't go up it means he will have failed to hit target

Narrowly failed...

Take the Premier League for example. You could argue United, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea all had a target of winning the league. Should all 6 managers now face the hop because Man City ran away with it?

it's one thing having targets, but being so black & white as to say the axe must fall if they aren't met is a bit narrow minded in my view.

I'd imagine there were 18 clubs in the Championship who targetted a playoff place at the start of the season. That's a lot of managers getting their P45's in a few weeks time if we go by your rules.

For me, as long as i can see progress and the team are working for the manager I think he deserves another season, no matter which division we are in.

If we finished on 88 points, and didn't go up, then i think it would be harsh to say he's missed his target as 88 points would be enough most seasons.

I think come the end of the season there will be plenty of managers sacked.

He's made enough mistakes to carry the can for it.

The last 6 or 7 games have been a real opportunity to secure automatic promotion. Questions about tactics, selection and motivation have to be asked, regardless of whether we make it through the playoffs or not.

The last 6 or 7 games have been a real opportunity to secure automatic promotion. Questions about tactics, selection and motivation have to be asked, regardless of whether we make it through the playoffs or not.
I think the last 6 or 7 games have shown up the motivation of the players. Putting aside Bruce’s team selection, motivation and tactics the team on some occasions have been god awful and you do need to question their commitment. Let’s hope we have another good display tonight against Leeds and after all who knows Fulham may yet hit a bad patch so you never know.

I'd take Dean Smith as replacement for Bruce, he has produced a cracking team with nothing. That 2nd half last night showed up all of Bruce's shortcomings again.

Brentford have gone backwards every season under Smith for the past 3 years.

Please god, no to Dean Smith. Just coz he's a Villa fan? So am I. Give it to me.

I wouldn't say they've gone backwards, and Smith had to cope with the team being decimated of regulars at the beginning of the year as they cashed in to rebuild again.

Not arguing for Smith, Brentford are a good example though.

I tend to agree, done a good job so far, but weight of expectation he needs more experience and to taste better success.

Oh we are back to Dean Smith now are we.
I thought it was Gary Rowett, no sorry I meant Gary Monk. Oh hang on no sorry it was a foreigner they are better. Yes that bloke at Forest who is doing brilliant- Karanka. Surprised no one has mentioned Big Dave he has had one good result. Surely that's qualified him.
Dean Smith is a huge risk and could turn into a complete naive appointment with the oh he is a villa fan crap which means nothing. Been down this road with Lambert. We mostly got sucked into how well he had done at Norwich and little else anywhere else. People need to consider this when they throw names like Dean Smith around willy nilly.

People don't realise how lucky we are to have a Big expereinced manager capable of handling the pressure of a big club.

We should be thanking our lucky stars to have Steve Bruce after all the inexperienced and over whelmed crap we've had in the past.

He's got lots of room for improvement and I think everyone would acknowledge that, but it's difficult to wonder what if in terms of the injuries we've had. He hasn't always helped himself, but at times he hasn't been helped.