Thommo | Page 11 | Vital Football

Thommo

Well that'sva bit of a oxymoron statement. A autocratic statement from a supposed democratic person.
It is fact. Animal agriculture is the single most climate destroying industry. Multiple scientifically sound studies have proved it. But I did predict your Trumpist climate denying response.

It is fact. Animal agriculture is the single most climate destroying industry. Multiple scientifically sound studies have proved it. But I did predict your Trumpist climate denying response.
And why was my statement undemocratic? And I will keep my discussion with you brief. I avoid discussions nowadays with people who reject inconvenient absolute truth in favour of convenient falsehoods.

I distinctly remember the late Oldimpsfan lamenting how BBC Local Radio has now become an "Elephants Graveyard", whereas it used to be, and should be, somewhere for young journalists to cut their teeth. It seems the new management seem to agree.

And why was my statement undemocratic? And I will keep my discussion with you brief. I avoid discussions nowadays with people who reject inconvenient absolute truth in favour of convenient falsehoods.

I said autocratic check out its meaning.

Yep I agree. There must be some more history to it. It's a pretty dodgy precedent if not.

Seems bizarre, i'm no Thommo fan and it felt a bit like he was eventually going to put his foot in it and that would be the end... but you could have suspended him every week based on that 😂. It seems like the BBC didn't really challenge in response to those articles, but then the papers just want people frothing at the mouth and clicking articles about the BBC so could easy be a deliberate omission... Not helped themselves by not saying anything though.

Seems bizarre, i'm no Thommo fan and it felt a bit like he was eventually going to put his foot in it and that would be the end... but you could have suspended him every week based on that 😂. It seems like the BBC didn't really challenge in response to those articles, but then the papers just want people frothing at the mouth and clicking articles about the BBC so could easy be a deliberate omission... Not helped themselves by not saying anything though.
Like all employment matters commenting would be s breach of confidentiality so they are between a rock and a hard place there

Like all employment matters commenting would be s breach of confidentiality so they are between a rock and a hard place there

If they've suspended him presumably they've completed whatever investigation so they would be able to make comment? If it's still an investigation feels more like you have to ask what is taking so long?

i do think we need an ex pro connected to the club to step in as a journalist doesn’t really have the same connection to the game as an ex pro.

It's not always about being an ex-pro, it's about whether they communicate anything interesting to the listener.

My beef with Radio Lincs is that the main commentator is not suited to the task, he's the worst I've ever heard - and I realise much of BBC local radio is staffed with enthusiastic amateurs, but everyone else does it better including Rob Makepeace

One of the better pundits recently was whoever was doing it for Forest Green and I think he was just some random bloke, not an ex professional.

The worst in a long time was ex-pro Andy Kiwomya at Bradford City, whose contributions were of the "stick this corner in the middle and we'll score and get back in the game though we're 4-nil down" variety

Steve Thompson's decent to have on the mic and I bet he wishes he hadn't been suspended for something so.... trivial. He could have gone the full Dave Lee Travis had he known.

I'm not sure that they have proved it. They have suggested it certainly. But peers have challenged the suggestion e.g.

https://skepticalscience.com/animal-agriculture-meat-global-warming.htm

The burning of fossil fuels for electricity and heat accounts for the majority of greenhouse gas emissions, totalling 31% of annual global greenhouse gas emissions, followed by transportation at 15%, manufacturing at 12.4% and animal agriculture at 11% (World Resources Institute).

and,

https://clear.ucdavis.edu/explainers/fossil-fuels-vs-animal-agriculture

In 2006, the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) published a global study titled “Livestock’s Long Shadow.” It stated, among other things, that livestock was contributing a staggering 18 percent to the world’s GHG emissions. The FAO drew a startling conclusion: Globally, livestock was emitting more GHGs than all modes of transportation combined.

The claim was incorrect, having come about as the result of an error in the methodology used to gather data.

As a result, transportation’s impact was underestimated and thus, livestock’s relative impact overestimated, in an apples-to-oranges comparison. Though the committee owned up to its error, the information was already out, and a bell cannot unring.

If you spend 30 minutes looking at the internet you will find that there are broadly two camps, supporting two views, 1) that animal agriculture is the worst contributor to global warming, and 2) that it is significant, but not the worst. The second group counter the methodology of the results propagated by the first. The first group seems to be made up primarily of environmentalists, vegans and animal liberation promoters, supported by some scientists and the second seems primarily made up of animal farming groups, scientists and peer reviewers.

Now I don't pretend to know the answer to where animal agriculture sits in the pecking order of climate destruction, but I think it is a clear example that it is easy to find supporting evidence for a view that you want to be true and that the internet feeds self-justifying belief loops.

The same thing works for Politics, Religion, Equal Rights activism and Football supporting (we are all in a Lincoln City one now).

Last edited:
You could have understood suspension for the "gay monthly" comment. But "handbags"? Get a grip.
Surely, it's a cumulative thing, possibly warned earlier for the gay comment?
People of a certain age, and I include myself, really do have to be on their guard when speaking. I sit close to HR at work, both of the girls, one the boss, are gay and relatively big. Both are really nice people, who I wouldn't dream of upsetting, but I find it uncomfortable having to think through every word that you utter before doing so.

If it's just for that comment then it's a worse refection of the BBC and the person who complained than it is Thommo. Crazy.

More likely that it was either the 'handbags' or 'should be wearing a skirt' comment that was the final straw after previous warnings and I would have thought the latter would have been more offensive but that's not really a story if it was a combination of the two.

Let's not forget that this is not the first time that Thompson has made comments that have been deemed to be inappropriate. Both Hortin & Makepeace have had to make on air apologies in the past for things that he has said when they've been picked up during commentary and there will have been further comments that they've not picked up and would have apologised for.

I see that the Daily Mail and Daily Star websites which are now also reporting it do get the right match.

Whether the Mirror and the Sun have corrected theirs I don't know as there are many thousands of things I'd rather do than look at their websites again to check.

Strangely, it's not a story that seems to have been considered worth reporting on by the Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Times or Independent websites.