Thommo | Page 3 | Vital Football

Thommo

way back when when I was in short trousers and could only get served in the centre spot the commentary was Rob Underwood and the chap the name escapes me but i think he was previously a teacher. They were excellent

I think the teacher was Chris Parkin, he was pretty good but Rob Underwood oh goodness me. He was involved in the most cringy manager interviews of all time after one of our dismal defeats leading to our 2011 relegation. Underwood pushed Tilson to explain why he had left the prolific Drewe Broughton out of the team and played a returning Ashley Grimes following suspension. It was pure Radio Lincs amateur dramatics with the cringe factor way off the scale.

Give me Tommo any day over some of the opposition’s on ifollow. Tommo has played and managed, there can’t be many stations summarisers/commentators who can boast that and he gives a great insight into tactics and how to counteract the opposition. His sense of humour, banter and stories are welcome too! 👍😃

I think the teacher was Chris Parkin, he was pretty good but Rob Underwood oh goodness me. He was involved in the most cringy manager interviews of all time after one of our dismal defeats leading to our 2011 relegation. Underwood pushed Tilson to explain why he had left the prolific Drewe Broughton out of the team and played a returning Ashley Grimes following suspension. It was pure Radio Lincs amateur dramatics with the cringe factor way off the scale.

In a way, it was good to hear/see Tilson get a grilling at the time, but using Broughton's non-selection as a stick to beat him with was unfortunate to say the least. It's like he was on a dare with his mates, to have a go at Tilson, but then used the first thing (worst thing) he could think of to criticise him. First and last time I ever heard anyone stick up for that waste of space (and money) Broughton.

They’ve played a few archive clips this season that have featured Chris Parkin commentary and I realise then that it was so much better then

Give me Tommo any day over some of the opposition’s on ifollow. Tommo has played and managed, there can’t be many stations summarisers/commentators who can boast that and he gives a great insight into tactics and how to counteract the opposition. His sense of humour, banter and stories are welcome too! 👍😃

I think you'll find most local radio stations have former players/managers in the summariser's chair - Radio Humberside used to use George Kerr for Scunny/Grimsby games. No, seriously. Radio Nottingham often Brian Laws (Steve Hodge and Steve Sutton too), while Radio Sheffield often drag out Ronnie Moore, with Radio Leicester using Matt Elliott.

that is him, very good.

Has Thommo played and managed at an high level, who would have thought that, he maybe ought to mention that a few more times.
To be fair he gives a great insight into tactics as long as it’s 442 and there is a begun and a little un up front and nobody plays square passes in midfield and defenders don’t p*ss about at the back.

I think you'll find most local radio stations have former players/managers in the summariser's chair - Radio Humberside used to use George Kerr for Scunny/Grimsby games. No, seriously. Radio Nottingham often Brian Laws (Steve Hodge and Steve Sutton too), while Radio Sheffield often drag out Ronnie Moore, with Radio Leicester using Matt Elliott.

Yes, that’s BBC Local Radio policy and the reason why Steve Thompson took over from Chris Ashton as summariser.

Parkin covered the Imps for years, doing reports for Radio Lincs back when we didn't have commentaries. He was a bit of a legend IMHO.

Didn't George Kerr do some summarising at one time?