Thommo | Page 2 | Vital Football

Thommo

I

I don't dislike him, but having watched all the available ifollows, his repetitive banter with Mr Hortin was wearing a little thin, Imps legend though he may be.
But he doesn't do that with Makepeace. It is Hortin that prompts all the "nudge, nudge" bants and off topic giggles.

Last night was a refreshing change especially in the second half. First half Hortin seemed to be the commentator with Makepeace adding bits in. Second half it was the reverse and Makepeace hardly let Hortin get a word in....Bliss :)

I hope it is a slap on the wrist for Thommo (if that's the reason) and Hortin is hauled into the office and told that it isn't a night down the pub where the only way he can fit in is to nudge, nudge trying to be "one of the lads."

The latest in a long line of statements that would have seemed out of date if said during On the Buses. Past views on female officials and the occasional homophobic remark. Personally I am not a fan of him summarising either. Thought it worked well last night with Rob commentating and Horton relegated to summarising.
He's a fucking dinosaur, frankly, and like Hortin he clearly does no research on the opposition, just turning up to roll out the same clichés and tired stories of his playing days, liberally peppered with ignorant views.

Last edited:
way back when when I was in short trousers and could only get served in the centre spot the commentary was Rob Underwood and the chap the name escapes me but i think he was previously a teacher. They were excellent

I've subscribed to and bought some away feeds for the Imps this year and, I have to say, our broadcast team is easily the worst. Hone has been our only voice that is knowledgable and at least knows the oppositions players. It just seems like Hortin and Thommo just don't do any research. Maybe I am wrong...

Oh, and Makepeace is fine, too.

EDIT: there is no place for homophobic comments or those belittling to women in football or anywhere. We just can't have that in the game.
I honestly get the impression they just turn up on the day and wing it. It's very unprofessional. I donr want to be all "licence payer" but we should expect more professionalism, even in local radio. A few kids straight off a broadcast journalism course would do a much better job.

Makepeace is at least professional but I'm not sure he's an easy listen. That's more the pitch/tone of his voice, but he can't really help that. I remember when I first heard him do commentary I got pelters on Nathan Jackson's board for saying he was like fingers down a blackboard.

I honestly get the impression they just turn up on the day and wing it. It's very unprofessional. I donr want to be all "licence payer" but we should expect more professionalism, even in local radio. A few kids straight off a broadcast journalism course would do a much better job.

I am pretty sure Rob Makepeace did go straight from a broadcast journalism course into Radio Lincs. To be fair to him, he sounds much more 'with it' when it comes to commentating than Hortin does.

We've gone up the leagues, but the radio coverage hasn't followed.

Embrassing at times. Often the listener has more idea what is going on in Hortin's life rather than the match being played.