The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 10 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

Just found this in Die Trying.
"They gave my father tickets to some big game in Rotterdam, Holland. European Cup, the Bayern Munich team against some English team, Aston Villa, you ever heard of them?"
Reacher nodded."From Birmingham, England.
"Ihated the Germans" Holly said. "So arrogant, so overpowering.They were sure they were going to cream those Brits......
...And the Brits creamed the Germans. The Germans were so furious. I loved it. And the Aston Villa guys were so cute."
Not exactly deathless prose but these are books that sell by the million. Our name spreads further and wider.

The story of INXS by INXS.

Quite a nice read actually, filled a few hours and having liked their music, was decent to read about them. Would have, like all the auto biogs by musicians, liked a bit more about the actual albums and reasons behind the songs but hey ho.

ironside - 1/11/2013 14:20

Just found this in Die Trying.
"They gave my father tickets to some big game in Rotterdam, Holland. European Cup, the Bayern Munich team against some English team, Aston Villa, you ever heard of them?"
Reacher nodded."From Birmingham, England.
"Ihated the Germans" Holly said. "So arrogant, so overpowering.They were sure they were going to cream those Brits......
...And the Brits creamed the Germans. The Germans were so furious. I loved it. And the Aston Villa guys were so cute."
Not exactly deathless prose but these are books that sell by the million. Our name spreads further and wider.

The FBI are led by a guy called McGrath ("who brought the best out of everyone") and there is an FBI agent called Milosevic.

The character making the speech about Villa is called Holly Johnson, so I suppose we have to conclude that Jim Grant (Lee Child) likes Frankie Goes To Hollywood as well as the Villa.

The rules to break by Richard Templar (It's more of a self awareness book. Not fiction) It's alright. Know the majority of this stuff anyway. Reading cos recommended.

Other on the go is Christmas at Claridges by Karen Swann . Bit of junk read really. Needed something that wasn't going to be anything more than. Not a bad storyline though

I tend to only read autobiographies and they don't come much better than David Niven's: The Moon's a Balloon.

A thoroughly engaging book from a thoroughly engaging man.

Clive Cussler, The Wrecker... All of a sudden I seem interested in fiction again, haven't read any for a couple of years. Chuffed as I've about 30 books to read now!

I've just come across Edward Marston who has a series of books featuring "The Railway Detective". They're set in the mid 1800s and the eponymous hero rejoices in the name of Robert Colbeck. His intrepid sergeant is Victor Leeming.

I'm struggling at the minute (one kid 3 months, another 17 months). My missus the other day asked me what I miss about 'normal' life and I said I'd love to be able to read a proper book. Going to bed (when I'd normally read) is, for the time being, just simply for going straight to sleep as I barely get a page read before i'm out of it due to sheer exhaustion.

However, I am picking up a book called The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper. It's mildly amusing, easy stuff and suits my needs. I'd recommend it to take on holiday with you perhaps, to read sporadically between dips in the pool and trips up the bar, not having to worry to much about keeping your page.

I remember when doing, or coming to the end, of my degree James. I just craved reading some fiction, something I didn't have to over think about and memorise!

First thing I did once finished was get a few Wilbur Smith books. Bliss!

Yep mate, I was the same doing my dissertation and my finance exams.

Daft thing is, when I am free to read at leisure I tend to go for non fiction, factual or travel type books, very rarely opting for fiction. Yet I crave the escapism of fiction when the option is not there.

for the record I can now recite 'the snail and the whale' 'charlie cooks favorite book' 'the gruffalo' and 'pandamonium' off by heart!

I drifted from fiction, last 3 years I have been reading nothing but autobiogs etc. I just found with my brain fogs that I wasn't concentrating for the fiction books. However on holiday I really enjoyed reading a Jeffrey Archer book and so will try the stock of books I have. It is my attention span these days, I was finding I was getting a few chapters in and thinking 'I don't actually care'!

James06 - 2/12/2013 16:38

I'm struggling at the minute (one kid 3 months, another 17 months). My missus the other day asked me what I miss about 'normal' life and I said I'd love to be able to read a proper book. Going to bed (when I'd normally read) is, for the time being, just simply for going straight to sleep as I barely get a page read before i'm out of it due to sheer exhaustion.

However, I am picking up a book called The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper. It's mildly amusing, easy stuff and suits my needs. I'd recommend it to take on holiday with you perhaps, to read sporadically between dips in the pool and trips up the bar, not having to worry to much about keeping your page.

That Time Wasters letters Is class. The one where the bloke writes to Prince Charlesvabout the Dogs' Home had me in stitches.

Couple of Jeffrey Archer Books, no use me trying to remember the names though!

Now a Ken Follet book based on a true story, On Wings Of Eagles, ... rescue of two captive businessmen in Iran.

As it says on the book cover would have been great if fiction, even more fascinating that it is true!

Currently in the middle of the cold six thousand by james ellroy, a work of genius in my humble opinion.

Archer... 11th commandment

But also Harry Redknapp autobiog. I'd not have bought it but dad's cousin lent it him and dad said it was so good he has lent it me. Not long since started but it is interesting, makes you realise how much football has changed!