The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 12 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life vol1 - Drunvalo Melchizedek. Just 17 pages in so far, but quite interesting.

Currency Wars - It's very interesting and gives a great overview of what's behind a lot of what happens in international politics. The writer belives the original gold standard was a golden age of economic development.

I`ve finished all the Jack Reacher series.(Thanks Frankus)
I`ve got 6 James Patterson books to go through,one of which I`ve nearly finished called Gone,then it looks like I`ll be trying another of Frankus` recommendations:Coben.

OnMeHeadFred - 19/2/2014 10:24

This is Follett writing for an America audience and it shows.

Every American belongs to the sort of perfect family, Hollywood likes to present.

I am a huge fan of Follett and the fact that they are flawed, predictable and full of clichés, never spoils the fun.

When I read Wolf Hall not long ago, I concluded that Follett could have made a better job of telling the story.

He is amazingly good at filling out the historical details without seeming to break stride.

In Fall of Giants, he manages to explain the origins of WW1, in a single drawing-room scene, and doesn't seem to miss anything out.

Hilariously clichéd but a master of his craft.

I have to agree totally. Everything I have read from Follett has left me better informed and more interested in the subject.

Compulsive reading.

Just started the 4th book of Anthony Riches' Empire series. Fun, all action, bawdy humour soldiering stories. Not great literature but good entertainment which hits the spot for my current mood.

The Fear - 4/2/2014 17:18

Couple of Jeffrey Archer Books, no use me trying to remember the names though!

I read a couple of his a few years ago, a bloody good read imo. One of them was called "Not a penny more, not a penny less" or something like that. I was pleasantly surprised.

Read the Mike Tyson autobiography. Quite good, goes on a bit too much about the partying and cocaine etc, but still shows what a complex self loathing character he was. Still will never understand how someone can spend such a fortune though!

Simon Scarrow The Blood Crows. Decent series of books about the Roman times this author has produced

Simon Scarrow with TJ Andrews... Arena. Gladiator times!

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Biography of Louie Zamperini. He had a disruptive childhood, became a runner and represented the US in the Munich Olympics. Joined the air force in WW II. Shot down by the Japs and survived 46 days in a rubber raft under constant attack by sharks. Landed on an island held by the Japs and became a prisoner of war. Goes on to tell how he recovered from that and went on to cope with life.

Bloody brilliant!

Just finishing Private Down Under by James Patterson,then I`ve taken the advice of Frankus again and will start Harlan Coben`s Deal Breaker.

Some books appeared in the house the other day.Apparently they were on their way to my wife`s cousin`s.
3 of them have had a pit stop at my house.An Ozzy Osbourne book,an Ant and Dick one and a Peter Kay one.I may have read them before,but I can`t remember.Anyway,they are here as back up.

I f it is the first Peter Kay book it is really funny.

I remember taking it to Spain to read on holiday and when I was reading it by the pool there must have been 10 other people reading it as well lol.

I took them to work sirdennis,so i couldn`t tell you which one it is.I know I`ve read one of his books,but not sure which.
I`ll check tonight when I`m at work.

ps.Not that i have time to read at work.
Nay, faaaar too busy !

I recommend the Shardlake books by CJ Samson, excellent reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/C.-J.-Sansom/e/B001IOH334

sirdennis - 22/10/2014 15:43

I'm not really reading anything at the moment , but intend to get into the Jack Reacher books.

Are you a kindle man or a paper person ?
If you want to borrow the paper versions,let me know.I`ve got the whole series.

The Peter Kay one is called Saturday Night Peter.
The front cover doesn`t look like the one I read a while back.
No,I`ve just read the inside page.This is his second book.The first was called The Sound of Laughter and that was an autobiography.This one isn`t.

Paper person at the moment Club , although I suspect I may be getting a kindle for Christmas.

Yes the Sound of Laughter is the first one. Really funny.

Jonah - 22/10/2014 15:50

I recommend the Shardlake books by CJ Samson, excellent reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/C.-J.-Sansom/e/B001IOH334

Thanks Jonah. They look like a good read. I like historical fiction, based on real events. Have you read Bernard Cornwell? If so, how do these compare? Some of Cornwell's books are excellent, so if these are anywhere near as good, I'll definitely e giving them a go.

Just started Unlucky 13 by James Patterson.
I can pick any of his books up and get into them within half a dozen pages.Easy reading but compulsive.

Read Bruce Springsteen autobiography. Was decent, albeit i felt it was rushed at the end.

Just read Tom Ross 'The Game's Gone' and really enjoyed it.

The Secret Footballer - Access All Areas.

Much of what TSF writes about is fascinating, but I can't escape the feeling I would want to punch his lights out if I met him in real life.

Also just finished 'Odd Man Out: The Fascinating Story of Ron Saunders' Reign at Aston Villa' by Graham Denton. Very interesting read and a wonderful trip down memory lane to happier times. Although not necessarily for the likes of Andy Gray :10:

http://amzn.to/2pWO9am