The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 8 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

I'm reading a novel first published 100 years ago - TRENT'S LAST CASE by E C Bentley. I got it as a free ebook - see www.gutenberg.org/
There is a facility to convert this to Kindle format and I have this ap on my Nexus tablet.
There are loads of free books on the internet. Some are useless of course but more than a few are worthwhile.
As regards contemporary stuff, I'm a crime/thriller addict - among others, I'm into Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben, Lee Childs and Robert Crais.

Thought this link would be best suited in here

http://www.listchallenges.com/50-books-to-read-before-you-die?post_id=535093072_10151590658333073#_=_

So how many have you read? I have read 18 of them at various stages of my life from childhood. Think I will give the other 32 a miss though. I am sure I can die happy without ever reading them

I've read 18 as well. To be honest, none of the others has any great appeal! As for the 18 I have read, some were brilliant (eg To Kill A Mockingbird) and others I struggled through (eg Robinson Crusoe).

Surprised myself that I have read 13 of them ... not particularly a fan of classics. In fact, I don't read much fiction at all these days.

Woo woo we are an intellectual lot here on VV. Who would have thought it. LOL.

Must go off to do some more reading

:144:

As much as I like some classics (that's a pretty subjective term, to bo honest), I do like thrillers. I'm a massive fan of Michael Marshall; I recommend The Straw Men, fantastic start, had me hooked instantly and I read the trilogy in about two weeks.

Right now I'm reading Armageddon (Max Hastings), comparison of the two Allied fronts competing to reach Berlin in 1944/5. Very good.

"The Damned Utd" by David Peace is a work of fiction based on the 44 turbulent days spent by Brian Clough as manager of Leeds United in 1974.
It's a great novel and 342 pages long. Mind you, if they took out the swearing, it'd probably be about 70 pages!

I've read 23 on that list but they seem pretty arbitrary to me, I mean Harry Potter? Life of Pi? The Curious Incident? Yet there is no Nabokov, or Dostoevsky or Proust. Obviously put together by some work experience lass with a tight deadline! :D

I've read 11 of those books and seen the films for quite a few of the others. I can't be arsed reading the book if I've already seen the film.

Reading the Ronnie Wood autobiog. Not reading too much at the moment but this is a nice, light, entertaining read.

BBJ - 21/7/2013 00:59

Bit of a culture vulture then, BB?

Lol, the irony is that most of the ones I've read are classics when I was completely skint and could only afford the RM8.50 (£1.50) classics.

Just checked out the book bucket list and have read 26, too busy with life and work at the moment, just don't get the time.

The Fear - 20/7/2013 16:01

Reading the Ronnie Wood autobiog. Not reading too much at the moment but this is a nice, light, entertaining read.

Good read that , have you read ozzy osbournes ? Possibly the funniest thing ever put to print - brilliant.

Currently reading "an outrageous crime " it's about the US and how they knew about POW / MIA's left behind in south east Asia. Powerful stuff & highly recomended.

kefkat - 9/7/2013 20:38

Thought this link would be best suited in here

http://www.listchallenges.com/50-books-to-read-before-you-die?post_id=535093072_10151590658333073#_=_

So how many have you read? I have read 18 of them at various stages of my life from childhood. Think I will give the other 32 a miss though. I am sure I can die happy without ever reading them

I've read 21. i used to read quite a lot of classics so I feel a bit hard done by!