The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate... | Page 24 | Vital Football

The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate...

If players are at risk of death for playing for their country.....why is that nation allowed to enter the tournament ? Even one of the coaching staff assaulted Sterling as he walked off the pitch....then laughed about it to his colleagues. The whole set up is tainted. Why would Sanchez want to be part of such a team. ?

NRD - Nobody can surely condone the way Colombia approached the game. That doesn't mean that Sanchez is culpable though and we will never know whether he would have got more involved but for his club team mates being present. He's stuck between the rock and hard place based on where he earns his living.

Said this before, but FIFA and UEFA need to own this. Their obsession with making the game more entertaining is also about keeping 22 players on the pitch. Problem is, they've lost the plot with allowing the dark arts. They have the technology in place to stop it, but they need to acknowledge that there is no gain without pain and that means using VAR to enforce yellows and reds. It also means having the ability to apply retrospective action on players like Neymar who are not acting in the spirit of the game in their behaviour.

Put that seed of doubt into every players mind that they will get caught and punished and the game will self clean. My opinion is that FIFA should analyse every time a Colombia player overstepped the mark with their referee and apply individual bans on the players. Ditto with every other game that takes the same pattern as that one.

NRD - Nobody can surely condone the way Colombia approached the game. That doesn't mean that Sanchez is culpable though and we will never know whether he would have got more involved but for his club team mates being present. He's stuck between the rock and hard place based on where he earns his living.

Said this before, but FIFA and UEFA need to own this. Their obsession with making the game more entertaining is also about keeping 22 players on the pitch. Problem is, they've lost the plot with allowing the dark arts. They have the technology in place to stop it, but they need to acknowledge that there is no gain without pain and that means using VAR to enforce yellows and reds. It also means having the ability to apply retrospective action on players like Neymar who are not acting in the spirit of the game in their behaviour.

Put that seed of doubt into every players mind that they will get caught and punished and the game will self clean. My opinion is that FIFA should analyse every time a Colombia player overstepped the mark with their referee and apply individual bans on the players. Ditto with every other game that takes the same pattern as that one.

You have said it all. Don't ask players to ref games, Geiger was a joke as are the governing body.

Thing is if a ref thinks the player could be assassinated or the players family after showing him a red card and the team losing as a result, how would he feel ? Sanchez may already be at risk for not joining in with the dark stuff. It's crazy, Colombia should be excluded from the game.

Thing is if a ref thinks the player could be assassinated or the players family after showing him a red card and the team losing as a result, how would he feel ? Sanchez may already be at risk for not joining in with the dark stuff. It's crazy, Colombia should be excluded from the game.

Not sure it works like that mate. If any thing that regions governing body should probably suspended them after they killed the fullback in 94. Then kept them out till that kind of intimidation was gone. In this tournament the one time Villa player had been threatened for the penalty he gave away. Mind you I've been to Colombia and good luck with being the Sherif that cleans up that town. Way beyond Davidson Sanchez pay grade...

I am astounded at some of the overreaction by some, it is utterly ridiculous in my view to hold Sanchez responsible for the actions of his team mates in my view.
He's Colombian and is entitled to represent his country, it really is churlish to expect him to condemn his team mates.
As for banning Columbia because some idiot decides to shoot a player would be utterly unwarranted and unfair to Colombians.

Davinsons latest tweet from yesterday.... we leave today forever proud to be Colombian.

No shame, no remorse.

I am not wearing Spurs blinkers on this. Yes he played well. But he has included himself in the WE to be proud of his Country.

The key words WE that encompasses him with the animals and PROUD, proud after that disgusting behaviour.

Nick, he is proud to be a Colombian , just as I am proud to be an Englishman . There are millions of things that Englishmen do , both in football and in the great outside world ....there are things that my workmates have done , that are a whole lot worse than the antics I saw the other night ....... There are things people in my family have done that I am far from proud of ......... But never have I thought that I had to apologies and disassociate myself from it all and do it for all the world to see.
I just don't see where you are coming from . Should the Colombian President , the Colombian FA chief , the Colombian High Commitioner,and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all be apologising and disassociating themselves or just Davinson Sanchez who played a really good game of football , did nothing wrong and didn't get involved in all the histrionics

The only surprise about the way Columbia played was that we were surprised at what they did, or at least the press was; almost every England fan to a man foresaw it.

Next time, let's write the script, make the media claims and be outraged before we play a south American team and then watch them squirm.

Davinsons latest tweet from yesterday.... we leave today forever proud to be Colombian.

No shame, no remorse.

I am not wearing Spurs blinkers on this. Yes he played well. But he has included himself in the WE to be proud of his Country.

The key words WE that encompasses him with the animals and PROUD, proud after that disgusting behaviour.

I think this last comment is just plain odd and makes me wonder if you simply have it in for him? That's cool but your point is pretty facile. Do you think Kane should separate himself from the violent conduct of Ashley young , blatant cheating of Maguire, play acting of Henderson. Or are these things ok when "our" players do them. Kane has not distanced himself from these "scum bags" so he is one....

Love the fact that Maradona has had to issue a grovelling apology to England. It just shines the light on the rest of the worlds intolerance to the antics coming from the Latino teams this tournament.

A great stat came out on TalkSport today. Neymar has spent between 13 and 14 mins on the ground during the tournament. Says it all really. I bet when Eden Hazard was the most fouled player in the Prem, he had stats nowhere near that.

sweden next, i think we need to up the passing speed in this game. a goal in the first half could make it a comfortable win. pace is key.

Nick, he is proud to be a Colombian , just as I am proud to be an Englishman . There are millions of things that Englishmen do , both in football and in the great outside world ....there are things that my workmates have done , that are a whole lot worse than the antics I saw the other night ....... There are things people in my family have done that I am far from proud of ......... But never have I thought that I had to apologies and disassociate myself from it all and do it for all the world to see.
I just don't see where you are coming from . Should the Colombian President , the Colombian FA chief , the Colombian High Commitioner,and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all be apologising and disassociating themselves or just Davinson Sanchez who played a really good game of football , did nothing wrong and didn't get involved in all the histrionics

I am not particularly proud to be English, poverty, crime , racism, inter gang murders, grooming gangs, ghost towns , ghettos etc.

I'm not sure what Sanchez is so proud of, especially not his football team. Sanchez did try to apologise to Harry and Harry blanked him and was not having it.
Stones said it was the dirtiest team he has faced. Then Sanchez tweets how proud he is. I have no vendetta against Davinson. I dont like his team as a whole .

Sorry NRD, but I think you've lost the plot somewhat when it comes to Sanchez. I have you down as a level headed poster, who throughout the PL season, whilst everyone is losing their temper over some of our players, you stick up for the player. Here I see your view as flown off the handle.

Just judging by the response of others, your views seem very extreme and unreasonable to me.

Also, I would remind you of the following:

Sanchez is probably the youngest player in their squad. He has to look up to the senior players in the team. He refused to get involved in their hooliganism. A wrong comment from him could not only lead to him being ostracised by the team mates, the manager and authorities in his country....dare I even mention the threats he may receive back home. He did what I think was best for him, i.e., just stay on the periphery. I didn't see him harassing the ref, nor in the faces of England players. What you seem to want from him a bit like Danny Rose criticising the club for the way they do things at Spurs. Unrealistic imo.

Unfortunately, despite doing so well in the WC, he will find himself at the receiving end of abuse in the PL, to the detriment of Spurs. I hope you won't be booing at him.

He's earned the right to represent his country, what every player dreams of. Not because he'd make a good thug, because he'd earned the right on football merit. Just because his 'more experienced' mates chose to lose head, why should he be accountable for their misdemeanour?. Have you ever tried interrupting a fracas in a pub started by your mates because they got pissed.....you end up being arrested through no fault of yours.

Anyway, hope that was a major lesson learnt by Sanchez., something he will wish he never has to be part of again. I am glad he kept his thoughts to himself, just like his behaviour on the pitch.

He hasn't kept his thoughts to himself. He tweeted he was proud. Kane blanked him on the pitch when he approached him.

He doesn't have to play for a team of thugs or play for his country. If a country stinks of fear and threat, have the nads to oppose it . Not shout out loud you are proud of it.

Stones condemned Colombia as the dirtiest team he has faced. I'm not the only one disgusted by it and I am not making excuses for Sanchez because he plays for us or played well. The ref should have sent off 3 of their players and a coach , how proud would Sanchez be then ?

He did what was best for him alright. Not our players though. He stayed on the periphery to protect himself.

Sorry NRD, but I think you've lost the plot somewhat when it comes to Sanchez. I have you down as a level headed poster, who throughout the PL season, whilst everyone is losing their temper over some of our players, you stick up for the player. Here I see your view as flown off the handle.

Just judging by the response of others, your views seem very extreme and unreasonable to me.

Also, I would remind you of the following:

Sanchez is probably the youngest player in their squad. He has to look up to the senior players in the team. He refused to get involved in their hooliganism. A wrong comment from him could not only lead to him being ostracised by the team mates, the manager and authorities in his country....dare I even mention the threats he may receive back home. He did what I think was best for him, i.e., just stay on the periphery. I didn't see him harassing the ref, nor in the faces of England players. What you seem to want from him a bit like Danny Rose criticising the club for the way they do things at Spurs. Unrealistic imo.

Unfortunately, despite doing so well in the WC, he will find himself at the receiving end of abuse in the PL, to the detriment of Spurs. I hope you won't be booing at him.

He's earned the right to represent his country, what every player dreams of. Not because he'd make a good thug, because he'd earned the right on football merit. Just because his 'more experienced' mates chose to lose head, why should he be accountable for their misdemeanour?. Have you ever tried interrupting a fracas in a pub started by your mates because they got pissed.....you end up being arrested through no fault of yours.

Anyway, hope that was a major lesson learnt by Sanchez., something he will wish he never has to be part of again. I am glad he kept his thoughts to himself, just like his behaviour on the pitch.

I am level headed but some of what I saw sickened me. Deliberately uppercutting with the head, pushing the ref, digging up the penalty spot. VAR didn't work otherwise 3 would have been off.

I won't be against Davinson unless that behaviour creeps into his game over here which of course it won't. He needs to learn from it, not be proud of it.

NRD, tbh, I can see where his pride may come from, certainly not for being part of the dirty brigade. As a youngster, he is very proud to represent his country and reach the last 16. You can't take that away from him.

At the end of the day, he was not digging up the turf or head butting one of ours nor was he remonstrating with the ref. I am proud of his football display. Shame that he will now be stereotyped.

At the end of the day, it's the Columbian FA, coaches and the guilty players that should hang their heads in shame. The FIFA too should show some bottle with some retrospective punishment.

BTW, Cantona's Kung Foo kick and Roy Keane breaking Haland's leg didn't prevent United players being proud of playing for their club, nor did it affect fans' allegiance to the club. The authorities took the appropriate action.

Just so you know NRD, I agree with how you viewed the general display from the cheats and the thugs as it also sickened me. However, I refuse to tar Sanchez with the same brush.