The Vital Villa Music Thread | Page 485 | Vital Football

The Vital Villa Music Thread

Glastonbury is bucket list for me and the wife too.

We applied for tickets pre-covid ehich had we got would have been for this year but we missed out. Bit gutting really as the wife is a HUGE Beatles fan so would have loved Macca and I love noel gallagher who is playing tonight.

Knowing our luck the year we finally get tickets it'll be wall to wall Adele and Ed Sheeran. 🤦

Mainly just want to go for the experience though. That many people all enjoying themselves (no matter how they choose to enjoy themselves, each to their own, not for me to judge) seems like it would be epic to me.

Only ever done 1 festival before. V-Festival about 15 years ago. Got very lucky with the lineup then. Oasis, The Killers, Fat Boy Slim, Pendulum, Snow Patrol, Biffy Clyro, Ocean Colour Scene,Keane. Amazing really.

Anyway back to TV. I'll be watching noel tonight on the pyramid stage at 7pm.

Edmonds?

Go on then @Melon Donkey , who else do you recommend?

I caught part of Wolf Alice last night and it was alright, admittedly it was 'Don't delete the kisses' and that's a well known song, I wouldn't be able to name any of their other stuff (and the BBC only played that song).

Go on then @Melon Donkey , who else do you recommend?

I caught part of Wolf Alice last night and it was alright, admittedly it was 'Don't delete the kisses' and that's a well known song, I wouldn't be able to name any of their other stuff (and the BBC only played that song).

Classic and new then.

Supergrass yesterday as usual great.

I think you and everyone will hate them but Wet Leg are really interesting. Unique in todays over all magnolia scene. Broken through hugely recently and were on The Park Stage yesterday.

The whole Wolf Alice set is on the i player btw.

I looked at my CDs and thought about the bands I have seen on the TV from Glastonbury over the years who I'd never really heard of but liked and went out and bought some of their music or went to a gig to see them.

The Cocteau Twins?
Pulp.
Arcade Fire.
The Killers.
Kaiser Chiefs.
Everything But The Girl.
The Bootleg Beatles.
Hot Chip.

So although still an old fart but maybe not as bad as I thought:lol:

Seeing Arcade Fire on the list there . Not a band I have listened to much at all apart from the obvious well known.

However, The Lightning 1 came up on a random playlist for me the other day. From their new album which is great as I went and had a listen .

This is why I love Spotify. I'll go and listen to their whole back catalogue now

Seeing Arcade Fire on the list there . Not a band I have listened to much at all apart from the obvious well known.

However, The Lightning 1 came up on a random playlist for me the other day. From their new album which is great as I went and had a listen .

This is why I love Spotify. I'll go and listen to their whole back catalogue now

They were superb at Glastonbury 2007 and I then went out and bought the CD, Funeral which is equally as superb.

You know when you were growing up and your parents thought modern music was shit and what you listened to was shit.
That’s what the last 24 hours has been like on here with you old fogies.:lol:

There are loads of great bands and great music at Glastonbury.

Altogether now ….when I was a lad…

Yeah, but think it is more nuanced than that. They used to think the modern stuff was too loud, aggressive, whatever, a lot didn't understand it.

Now it seems a role reversal, I find the new generations music so bland, boring, magnolia, I just don;'t get why they aren't more angry.

Might be nicer being them, you know, in a nicey nice (what a horrible world nice is) nice way.

Yeah, but think it is more nuanced than that. They used to think the modern stuff was too loud, aggressive, whatever, a lot didn't understand it.

Now it seems a role reversal, I find the new generations music so bland, boring, magnolia, I just don;'t get why they aren't more angry.

Might be nicer being them, you know, in a nicey nice (what a horrible world nice is) nice way.

Yes. I was being slightly tongue in cheek though. Like I said the other day about Elton John. Can you imagine the likes of Billie Eilish, Stormzy selling out stadiums night after night on a two year long world tour in 40 years time. Nah, not likely.

That’s not say their music is shit. It isn’t . It’s just not to my taste. One thing I think I have mellowed on over the last few years is saying new music is shit. It isn’t it’s just not to my or everyones taste. That’s why I kinda defended the Glastonbury line up earlier when people were saying it’s shit. I can‘t stand a lot of music nowadays. R and B ( never liked anyway) , grime are instant turn off, can’t even have it on in the background. And there is always a radio or music on in the background at home but not that stuff.

I absolutely agree about the blandness overall. But there is always new stuff from newer bands out there and as said earlier that’s what I like about Glastonbury and programmes like Jools Holland. There is always the odd something there .