The Vital Villa Music Thread | Page 447 | Vital Football

The Vital Villa Music Thread

The Classic Rock Show on Absolute radio is an unforgettable 3 hours of brilliant music.

Tonight so far

AC/DC
Motorhead
Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
The Who
Guns n Roses

To name but a few.

Especially as I already knew that....

Beats international - Dub be good to me.

Sampled

The Clash - The Guns of Brixton.

Had a good week in the gym blasting Bring Me The Horizon. Love their stuff. Marilyn Manson the last few days. Limp Bizkit for the next few days.

Got to be good and loud when working out, especially the boxing sessions.

The new Slipknot album is good.

I love discovering things like this, as i did today .

MIA - Paper Planes

Samples

The Clash - Straight to hell

So listening to it I don't think it's actually a 'sample'. At first I thought it was but just pitched down by a semitone or tone however if you listen carefully the higher frequency sounds from the Clash song do not appear throughout the piece (they kick in MIA's song around the 12 second mark). Whilst it's possible to strip these out of the sample with EQ and a low pass filter (among other things) the chords sound too clear to me.

I'd argue this is probably an interpolation rather than a sample, so they've basically recreated it with their own instruments in a different key. OR it's a combination of the two, sample + interpolation!

So listening to it I don't think it's actually a 'sample'. At first I thought it was but just pitched down by a semitone or tone however if you listen carefully the higher frequency sounds from the Clash song do not appear throughout the piece (they kick in MIA's song around the 12 second mark). Whilst it's possible to strip these out of the sample with EQ and a low pass filter (among other things) the chords sound too clear to me.

I'd argue this is probably an interpolation rather than a sample, so they've basically recreated it with their own instruments in a different key. OR it's a combination of the two, sample + interpolation!

Ah.
Yes having had a look you are dead right r.e Paper planes and it being interpolation while Dub be good to me is apparently still a 'sample'.

Love things like this . Good knowledge. Every day is a school day. :thumbup:

Ah.
Yes having had a look you are dead right r.e Paper planes and it being interpolation while Dub be good to me is apparently still a 'sample'.

Love things like this . Good knowledge. Every day is a school day. :thumbup:
Incidentally interpolation is better from a copywrite perspective. Regular sampling is a double whammy of the melody (or break or whatever is being sampled) and the recording session for which the underlying song was sampled. Interpolation just hits the melody from a copywrite perspective. Also there's more arguments on interpolation as being 'fair use' but depends on the context.

Obviously for the MIA song her producer (or her if she produces her own stuff) interpolated four bars from a Clash song and looped that for 3 minutes or so, so surely would have had to pay for that.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that going viral, for better or worse, gets Puddle of Mudd's name out there again, for better or worse, and leads to some kind of financial gain. It's the only way I can explain this massacre.

Bettye Lavette has a new album out on 8th May BLACKBIRDS

Enjoy "Things have Changed" her last album, If you have never listened to her at all play the title track of her last album and you may be surprised.
All the songs are covers of Bob Dillon songs.

Just listening to Brummie band Magnum.
Makes me feel really old, used to listen to them at the Railway pub in Curzon Street in the early 70s.

Every now and again you get to click something on YouPube and find a little gem of a clip. Now Im not into Orish music at all at all but this is just sweet.

Every now and again you get to click something on YouPube and find a little gem of a clip. Now Im not into Orish music at all at all but this is just sweet.

It's a lovely song. Steve Coogan did it very well on the last Alan Partridge series when he was playing the crazy Irish guest, lol