The Vital Villa Music Thread | Page 449 | Vital Football

The Vital Villa Music Thread

Managed to pick up a near mint vinyl copy of Elton John Captain Fantastic yesterday with all the booklets and poster. What a great album.

Of Course mate. Just a simple typo. It's not easy suffering from diagnosed Dyslexia as so many of my posts prove.

When I read them back I think I've got that the wrong way round and it takes me time trying to correct anything I post!
Dictionary definition of fiend is an evil spirit or demon, and there a few people I know that would agree with your typo TH.
I am forever editing my posts when I spot mistakes, I think this bloody site has bought out some sort of OCD in me.
Edit lol missed out the word few and had to come back on. Heeeeeelp.

Managed to pick up a near mint vinyl copy of Elton John Captain Fantastic yesterday with all the booklets and poster. What a great album.

Not really my sort of music, but I saw him at the Birmingham New Street Odeon in the early seventies and he and the whole stage show were brilliant.

FUCK OFF...................... We Are Black Sabbath from ASTON...............

When I was a kid in Aston there was a big family six doors away called the Wellburns and Sabbath were always in there.
I had no idea who they were, I just thought they were another bunch of scruffy long haired twats like myself.

They are all about years 5 years older than me although I used to knock around with Ozzy's brother Paul or was it, Tony? I can't remember! (If you are a member on here let me know mate!)

I've been in the family house in Lodge Rd and I clearly remember how proud Ozzy's Mom was as she showed me the posters on the wall of Ozzy as you entered.

Dirty Hippe's as my Irish Mom would say:rotfl:

Well worth showing the original video and I am immensely proud that some lads from Aston did so well and are now loaded with money because living in Aston was all-around tough. going and unless you stood you're ground you may as well given up and be bullied while e you lived in Aston.

Me?..................I realised it was a bad place and at 20 years old made the best decision of my life to move to Bournemouth on the 1st of January 1975. Had I not done that then I think my lifestyle for sure, would have killed me.

That's not to say Bournemouth was drug-free at that time (Far from it!) and some of the acid was mind-blowing and good if you could handle it.

yes, im 69 this year, so a bit older than me aswell.
I was about 24 when I moved, and as you say if you couldnt stand your ground you were easy pickings for some arseole, but still it gives you a good grounding for later life.
Love to hear Ozzy interviewed, no attempt whatsoever to cover his Brummie accent.

Yes, A couple of local Aston bullies I eventually beat the shit out of them.

Not proud of it but they had it coming and I loved the way afterward's how they would actually cross the road to avoid me.

Yes, it was a tough old place and a good grounding for life as you say.

The best thing was to have a good local and long time friend in John McKenna. We first met around 5 or 6 years old at the Sacred Heart school. We then both went to Cardinal Wiseman in Kingstanding and believe me the local lads didn't appreciate two Aston lads in their patch.

They tried everything to teach us a lesson and after about a year they got the message to back off and our respect was intact as they all backed off after taking a beating etc. I'll never forget the Nugents, Tyler, and Lawlor but you couldn't beat you us could you:grinning:

John scared the Bejeas out of most people including me at times although even as mates we had a couple of big fights such as was life then living in Aston.

On reflection, I can now see why I moved away not helped either by the devastating loss of my local girlfriend Jean Paintain on 5th December in a RTA in 1971.

She used to work at Lloyds Bank Witton Circle and I've never got over that either and never will. But hey, that's not kind to my wife and 2 children now who I adore.

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/West+...rmingham/in-memoriams/notice/PAINTAIN/1782338
Some sad stuff in there TH.
Also some interesting stuff re the Irish connection. Our school was just up the road from The Sacred Heart Church in Prestbury Road (Witton Road) and at morning assembley the Catholic kids used to all troop off down the road for their service.
Our neighbours the Killcullens all used to go the Sacred Heart school, as did the Greens across the road.
Christine Nugent is a name that comes back, dont know if any relation?
Oh and my wonderful wife is an Oneill on her mothers side, they came over in the early part of the 20th century.
I believe they dropped the O as with all the troubles going on then it wasnt very fashionable to be Irish.
Back on thread just to keep JF happy love the song.

Last edited:
Ha, yes, did wonder whether that could maybe go to private chat now but not before saying...... You Aston boys, such softies, I grew up on the mean streets of Four Oaks. Now that was a tough area, hence I'm so into Jay Z. We have very similar upbringings. :lol:

Q, the magazine that was once a cornerstone of the British music press, is to cease publication. The next issue, published on 28 July, will be its last.

The editor, Ted Kessler, said in a tweet: “The pandemic did for us and there was nothing more to it than that.” In an editor’s letter in the final issue he wrote: “We’ve been a lean operation for all of my tenure, employing a variety of ways to help keep our head above water in an extremely challenging print market. Covid-19 wiped all that out. I must apologise profusely for my failure to keep Q afloat.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/20/q-magazine-to-fold-after-34-years

Used to have it as a subscription, year in, year out, but it got thinner and thinner, and also, the great days of rock and pop have long since gone, so it was going on about the modern day rubbish buskers that I had no interest in! So not surprised it is going really. Was great once upon a (long) time (ago) !

Also prefer Bon Scott albums, plus the first two with Brian Johnson, I think they became a band of diminishing returns after that, with some notable exceptions track, not album, wise. Towards the end Brian's voice became too screechy.