The Unai Emery Thread | Page 221 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

I actually feel like we played like that on purpose. We were much lower energy and frankly showed zero ambition on the ball. I wonder if the goal was just to come away from that with a draw whilst expending as much energy as we usually do.

I doubt we went out specifically looking for a draw but I also don't doubt the plan was never to go gung ho and play on the front foot.

Without away goals they need to beat us outright at Villa Park so they can't come and sit back against us. I'd expect a much different performance next week.

From my perspective, putting Tim and Morgan in the middle just took the edge off our attacking intent. While both performed admirably away from home in a hostile environment (which will do them no end of good in the long term), SJM would have added considerably to the overall team dynamic - as would JJ if fit.

Incredibly small margins make such a difference at the higher levels. We didn't lose, even if we were under the cosh, which takes the game back to VP. Unai will have learnt a hell of a lot about the two kids, their abilities and their readiness from that game. We've introduced them to the big time now and they will also be better for the experience. Exposure like this will make them ready for the next time.

I actually feel like we played like that on purpose. We were much lower energy and frankly showed zero ambition on the ball. I wonder if the goal was just to come away from that with a draw whilst expending as much energy as we usually do.

Could be something to it, with the Spurs game coming up.

I don't think Unai set us up for a draw, because Ajax are not very good, but maybe he felt we could get a good result without wrecking ourselves and a draw was a good result.

We can go all out next week at Villa Park, but the Spurs game is huge and surely played a part in last night's performance.

I agree with this but with the caveat that the crowd buoyed them on too. I am sure he wanted more calmness on the ball and obviously would have liked us to retain possession better. But I fully agree he didn't want them out there chasing the game and we didn't press very high upfield either.

Its a result he'll be happy with and a performance he will be okay with IMO.

I agree with this but with the caveat that the crowd buoyed them on too. I am sure he wanted more calmness on the ball and obviously would have liked us to retain possession better. But I fully agree he didn't want them out there chasing the game and we didn't press very high upfield either.

Its a result he'll be happy with and a performance he will be okay with IMO.
He wasn't entirely happy.He said we didn't control the game like we can , but yes having watched the Villa on Tour vlog , it was an intimidating place and Emi only had one major save to make so I think 0-0 was very acceptable.

In the past two games he has set us up to play very negatively. Ajax was low ambition and energy and today was even more low ambition given we were at home.

We were lucky to escape from Amsterdam with a point and today we were horrifically exposed and beaten.

For me this is a curious shift.

In the past two games he has set us up to play very negatively. Ajax was low ambition and energy and today was even more low ambition given we were at home.

We were lucky to escape from Amsterdam with a point and today we were horrifically exposed and beaten.

For me this is a curious shift.

Maybe managing Villa is like managing the Overlook Hotel, they all descend into madness.

Unai is a student of the game. He will have learned from today. I believe one of the All Blacks said that they don’t remember the victories, they learn from the losses.

Today’s first half was fine given the opposition.
Luton first half was fine
Forest first half was fine.

The problem is the first few mins of the second half in all those games. I’m absolutely staggered by it tbh. Once is ..it happens …..twice is not good at all…….three times is wholly and utterly unacceptable.

We got away with it against those first two clubs because they are not that good. You won’t get away with it against Spurs. We didn’t and we have royally bolloxed the game up because of it. Look at the line up and red card all you like but we lost the game in a ten min spell after HT.

Over to you Unai to sort that shit out right now . And if that means playing percentages for a bit then fucking do it and treat it like the end of the first half.

That team set up was entirely wrong today. Emery got it badly wrong. No press and we allowed them to play with ease out from the back. We went long too often , it was like Dyche ball at times. Very disappointing on the biggest game of the season. We've handed them the initiative.

That team set up was entirely wrong today. Emery got it badly wrong. No press and we allowed them to play with ease out from the back. We went long too often , it was like Dyche ball at times. Very disappointing on the biggest game of the season. We've handed them the initiative.
As I said not a single Villa fan would have picked that side today, I think Unai overthought it

He definitely over thought it. Play your own game, to your strengths and take what you get.

Play a wierd system that invites the opponent to dominate the midfield then I’m afraid you get what you deserve.

I’m sure Unai regrets this more than most.

As I said not a single Villa fan would have picked that side today, I think Unai overthought it
I didn't agree with the selection but his plan for 45 mins was nearly perfect. Pep did the same thing to Spurs in their second game because they got overrun in the first (3-3). Stopping Ange ball is about having the numbers when they throw bodies at you.

We lost because the lads lost the head in the first 15 minutes of the second half like they have in countless other games this season. Tactically we were fine, where Unai becomes accountable for me is not changing it once we went 1-0 down. And given the frequency of this headloss maybe he has to change things have half time.