The Unai Emery Thread | Page 220 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

He has a funny accent and his English isn't perfect.

To be honest, I'm happy to fly under the radar. As soon as the media start paying attention to US, it will only be to sell all of our players to their favourite clubs.
I think if Unai sells any of our players. we all know he'll have one of his own lined up cheaper and better to come in. When I say better I mean better for the way he wants to play. Currently, most of the players aren't his picks but he utilises them in his system. He won't have had this quality at Villareal but it didn't stop him from getting them to the CL semi-final. Imagine what he could do given the time and players he wants. I don't think he wants £100m players with egos he wants players that listen and do as he says, who are comfortable having the ball etc

I think if Unai sells any of our players. we all know he'll have one of his own lined up cheaper and better to come in. When I say better I mean better for the way he wants to play. Currently, most of the players aren't his picks but he utilises them in his system. He won't have had this quality at Villareal but it didn't stop him from getting them to the CL semi-final. Imagine what he could do given the time and players he wants. I don't think he wants £100m players with egos he wants players that listen and do as he says, who are comfortable having the ball etc
Think we got an insight into Unai over the Clement Lenglet alleged recall in January. To all intents and purposes he stuck two fingers up at Barcelona and said we have a contract and he's staying.

I think he'll only let players leave who he thinks he can improve on in the market like you said 57. I'd be getting Dougie on a new contract over the summer not looking to cash in as some in the press would have us believe.

Think we got an insight into Unai over the Clement Lenglet alleged recall in January. To all intents and purposes he stuck two fingers up at Barcelona and said we have a contract and he's staying.

I think he'll only let players leave who he thinks he can improve on in the market like you said 57. I'd be getting Dougie on a new contract over the summer not looking to cash in as some in the press would have us believe.
He's not long signed a new one, last year? He'll have more contracts than a mafia hitman by the time he's finished 😁
Wonder when the press will roll out his imaginary release clause? 🤣🤣

If we're being absolutely ruthless I think 2 players are critical, Pau and Watkins. I don't think we can pick up a CB or CF to replace them. At the same time we would I also know we would adapt.

This season is the example of how good Unai is, he has reinvented the side 3 times with the same principles. Lost Mings = brought in Pau, Bailey starts playing well = adjusts the side for him instead of Diaby and finally lose Kamara/2 of his other CBs = McGinn in with a flat back 4.

Each iteration of our team has required a change in how we're playing.

If we're being absolutely ruthless I think 2 players are critical, Pau and Watkins. I don't think we can pick up a CB or CF to replace them. At the same time we would I also know we would adapt.

This season is the example of how good Unai is, he has reinvented the side 3 times with the same principles. Lost Mings = brought in Pau, Bailey starts playing well = adjusts the side for him instead of Diaby and finally lose Kamara/2 of his other CBs = McGinn in with a flat back 4.

Terrible admission but of those changes we have barely missed Kamara.

I think we are a bit blinkered especially where Ollie is concerned just as we picked up Longlet to replace Mings I think Unai would pick up a replacement for Ollie, we might even have him already In Rogers or Duran. Unai works on a team not individuals.

I think we are a bit blinkered especially where Ollie is concerned just as we picked up Longlet to replace Mings I think Unai would pick up a replacement for Ollie, we might even have him already In Rogers or Duran. Unai works on a team not individuals.
Yeah I think Duran is further off than I expected him to be. I thought Duran could oust him this year but he might struggle to even do it next year. Not convinced Rogers is here to play CF.

To be fair, i thought Rogers tracking back was far better tonight as well.
Maybe its home fan pressure but tonight and again Luton we just struggled to get out. The CMs are key and when they're smothered we need the wide midfielders to come back and help us squeeze out. Thats where John and JJ playing higher up field helps us so much. They're great at turning their man or finding space.

Zaniolo/Rogers/Tielemens/Diaby/Bailey all not every good at it. You want them on the ball in the final 3rd not the middle.

Maybe its home fan pressure but tonight and again Luton we just struggled to get out. The CMs are key and when they're smothered we need the wide midfielders to come back and help us squeeze out. Thats where John and JJ playing higher up field helps us so much. They're great at turning their man or finding space.

Zaniolo/Rogers/Tielemens/Diaby/Bailey all not every good at it. You want them on the ball in the final 3rd not the middle.
True. However in pretty sure had it been a PL game Ramsey would have played. He really is key to us on the left. Great covering, ball retention and driving us forward. Even not quite up to speed better than anything else we have.

Terrible admission but of those changes we have barely missed Kamara.
I've had a difficult time expressing this without knocking Kamara and down playing his importance.

Kamara allows Dougie a lot of freedom and is very versatile for us defensively. I would still prefer him in there to SJM. His athleticism is vital and his height is important. However of the "key" players / first names on the team sheet. He is the one I'd sell if we had to sell someone.

In a midfield of Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey and Bailey. Kamara for me is easier replace IMO. Mario Lemina, Paulinha, Fofana from Monaco, Onana off Everton. There are lads out there that could his role and do it well. Trying to replace Dougies goals, McGinn arse, I mean that's difficult.

And just to clarify we're absolutely a better team with him in it and I don't want to sell.

Talking of Kamara, he is as good at proper DM as I have seen in a long time. Tim did ok tonight accept for a couple of sloppy moments. It's what young players do and he will learn from it. I would rather sell Cash and Digne than Kamara IMO.

True. However in pretty sure had it been a PL game Ramsey would have played. He really is key to us on the left. Great covering, ball retention and driving us forward. Even not quite up to speed better than anything else we have.
Well considering Unai said he wasn't quite ready for tonight, I doubt that.

I actually feel like we played like that on purpose. We were much lower energy and frankly showed zero ambition on the ball. I wonder if the goal was just to come away from that with a draw whilst expending as much energy as we usually do.