The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 106 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Was Mings dropped today or was he not 100% so was on bench.
Or was he on the naughty step after the post match altercations at Arsenal ??

Who knows , you'll never find out that's for sure
Looks obvious to me the camp is very unhappy . The summer was disastrous with JT / ROK / and YKW all jumping ship and being replaced with inferiority. Very concerned this tailspin we are in won't be arrested soon enough

I assumed he wasn't 100% but saw a few reports saying he was "taken out of the firing line" after a few poor showings.

If that's the case then undoubtedly Mings is unhappy about it but he's no cause for complaint in my view as he's been shambolic the last few weeks.

If he's kicking up a fuss he needs to take a look at himself and remember where he was before he met Dean Smith because I can tell you now he Smith doesn't sign him on loan he wouldn't be an England International, a premier league player and all the kudos he's got for his charity/outside football work would never have happened.

I assumed he wasn't 100% but saw a few reports saying he was "taken out of the firing line" after a few poor showings.

If that's the case then undoubtedly Mings is unhappy about it but he's no cause for complaint in my view as he's been shambolic the last few weeks.

If he's kicking up a fuss he needs to take a look at himself and remember where he was before he met Dean Smith because I can tell you now he Smith doesn't sign him on loan he wouldn't be an England International, a premier league player and all the kudos he's got for his charity/outside football work would never have happened.

I think he's vastly overrated and he needed dropping, seems to have got a right bob on him since Southgate put him in England set up, nothing like the beast he was in the Championship. Never marks anyone and allows to many free shots , my biggest gripe is after watching Hause dominate in the air it show how weak Mings is for a 6ft 5 CB.
In saying this why not play him at left-back where he's still played most of his football , he's not worse with the ball that Targett and he is a bit more scary

Mings doesn't have the pace, balance and close control to play left back, it will be a disaster, most of his career there? At what level? Sorry don't see it. He will be exactly like Carlos Cuellar out there.

According to an Instagram post credited to Gregg Evans, Mings was furious at the decision to drop him announced 24 hours in advance (which is pretty standard isn’t it?).

My eyes from a long way away in the Holte was watching a laid back and lethargic Mings, now that is his style to be fair, but I didn’t see a leader take to the pitch and even look remotely interested in driving forward from the back to get us back into the game even when he had space to run into.

I suspect his true character is coming out, and when the going gets tough or not to his taste, he hides or kicks up a stink. We’ll see, but this will always be my concern with him.

Hopefully he was furious in the right way and will make sure it doesn’t happen again. A part of me thinks he needs to be selfish and should concentrate on his footy not trying to sort society out, then on the other he isn’t a footballer who is just selfish taking home a huge pay cheque and not in tune with societ - so I don’t know where I stand on it.

Last edited:
Mings doesn't have the pace, balance and close control to play left back, it will be a disaster, most of his career there? At what level? Sorry don't see it. He will be exactly like Carlos Cuellar out there.

He played LB in a Mick Mccarthy side where he was basically another cb in a back 4 of giants. I doubt he ever ventured over the halfway line.

According to an Instagram post credited to Gregg Evans, Mings was furious at the decision to drop him announced 24 hours in advance (which is pretty standard isn’t it?).

My eyes from a long way away in the Holte was watching a laid back and lethargic Mings, now that is his style to be fair, but I didn’t see a leader take to the pitch and even look remotely interested in driving forward from the back to get back into the game even when he had space to run into.

I suspect his true character is coming out, and when the going gets tough or not to his taste, he hides or kicks up a stink. We’ll see, but this will always be my concern with him.

Hopefully he was furious in the right way and will make sure it doesn’t happen again. A part of me thinks he needs to be selfish and should concentrate on his footy not trying to sort society out, then on the other he isn’t a footballer who is just selfish taking home a huge pay cheque and not in tune with societ - so I don’t know where I stand on it.

I've no problem with Mings. He makes the odd mistake from time to time but that apart, I think he's a competent, alert and quick defender. As we saw last season. Also, he's a leader at the back, and we're desperately short of leaders. By the way, I have seen him drive forwards, many times.

I woudn't be surprised if he's trodden on Smith's toes. Possibly by saying what he thought of 3-5-2. Me, I'd prefer captains who said what they think, rather than yes men. It was speaking out that did for Bent under Lambert.

As I said in the Smith thread, I think he's been made a scapegoat for our current messy setp.

Reports were after the Arsenal debacle Mings , Sanson and a few others kicked off at smith over this system that's clearly not working.
A week later Sanson is bombed , Mings the club captain is dropped, Ings and Luiz are mysterious "ill". Buendia the club record signing is subbed off and storms down the tunnel , the keeper has been in another continent all week. Talk about a mess. Smith has to go

Reports were after the Arsenal debacle Mings , Sanson and a few others kicked off at smith over this system that's clearly not working.
A week later Sanson is bombed , Mings the club captain is dropped, Ings and Luiz are mysterious "ill". Buendia the club record signing is subbed off and storms down the tunnel , the keeper has been in another continent all week. Talk about a mess. Smith has to go
Have you got any actual sources for this?

I've no problem with Mings. He makes the odd mistake from time to time but that apart, I think he's a competent, alert and quick defender. As we saw last season. Also, he's a leader at the back, and we're desperately short of leaders. By the way, I have seen him drive forwards, many times.

I woudn't be surprised if he's trodden on Smith's toes. Possibly by saying what he thought of 3-5-2. Me, I'd prefer captains who said what they think, rather than yes men. It was speaking out that did for Bent under Lambert.

As I said in the Smith thread, I think he's been made a scapegoat for our current messy setp.

I don’t disagree with much you say, he’s one of the few leaders we have yet I think that’s more to do with the weakness of leaders in the squad. I didn’t think Jack was captain material, Mings was the obvious choice when he went however he doesn’t have much competition.

My driving out from the back point was more specifically to Sunday (ironically in other games I’m happier for him to keep shape so he isn’t a liability), but I do wish he would in general move the ball quicker as he’s one of the culprits for our slow passing.

He isn’t a scapegoat for Sunday, but I can’t say I saw the club captain coming off the bench giving his all to change the game and motivate others. I saw a player come on to replace another in a tactical substitution. The going is getting tough, let’s see what he’s made of.

My driving out from the back point was more specifically to Sunday (ironically in other games I’m happier for him to keep shape so he isn’t a liability), but I do wish he would in general move the ball quicker as he’s one of the culprits for our slow passing.
Agree that's an area where he could add to his game. At the Euros I was wondering why he was dropped when Maguire came back, then I saw the performances Maguire put in. Tyrone can learn from that.

Big question; shouldn't the coaches be looking at this sort of thing?

After the defeats Mings and co. Normally tweet stuff like "not the result we wanted but we go again" then a few appropriate emojis.
That appears to have stopped.
Read into that what you like

After the defeats Mings and co. Normally tweet stuff like "not the result we wanted but we go again" then a few appropriate emojis.
That appears to have stopped.

Probably because of all the abuse they cop on Twitter.
When clubs have a difficult time loads of stories appear about what’s going on behind the scenes. Usually the majority of them are bullshit