The Tim Iroegbunam Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Tim Iroegbunam Thread

I hope not. We need SJM further forward. He is more effective there.
There's no free lunch here, there's going to have to be some trade offs in my opinion. It might mean Luiz has a more 'negative' role and McGinn drops in next to him to be more expansive.

The alternative is that McGinn stays where he is and Tielemans drops in but obviously not to do what Kamara does.

I think the style of play will change a little bit as well as we don't have anyone who can really do what Kamara does.

Will definitely get some game time now and why not - has always looked tidy and competent when he has come on and from his loan highlights. Torres fit, maybe 5 at the back with cash, Digne, Moreno etc further forward - certainly away from home

Tim's had some minutes here and there , and looked pretty assured . Granted it's not a great sample size. One thing is for sure , if I were him I would be busting a gut in training to put my hand up for the spot. What an opportunity with what's to come.

I also think he can play.

Unai of course will know best.
Some of the younger players - as you say what a dream chance, and the opportunity to play for Emery to showcase your ability. Emery will no doubt be pouring over all the stats and relishing the challenge - obviously not ideal circumstances tho.

Unai will probably go with Dougie and McGinn to begin with in the deeper roles but I think Tim will get plenty of opportunities off the bench. Hopefully he’ll grasp the opportunities and impress. Now is his chance, he must make the most of it.
There are plenty of options for the more attacking midfield slots. Tielemans, Ramsey, Rodgers, Zaniolo, and maybe even Kellyman could all play in those positions.

Last edited:
If Dendonker was still here Unai would be playing him.

We sold Dendonker and kept Tim in the squad so Unai must think he's at least equally capable otherwise it was a dumb move.

As Unai obviously thinks he's good enough if he doesn't pick him now the opportunity has cropped up then he's bottled it based purely on age.

If Dendonker was still here Unai would be playing him.

We sold Dendonker and kept Tim in the squad so Unai must think he's at least equally capable otherwise it was a dumb move.

As Unai obviously thinks he's good enough if he doesn't pick him now the opportunity has cropped up then he's bottled it based purely on age.
If Tim gets some playing time and at least matches what Dendonker did then it will be an astute move, but………

I'd love to see Tim eased in but it's a huge ask for a young lad just back from loan to step into a top 5 PL side and not be a weak link. It would be huge pressure.

Unfortunately, I think McGinn or Tielemans steps alongside Luiz and either Bailey/Zaniolo or Ramsey/Rogers take the vacant "10" slot.

McGinn is the better replacement but the bigger loss to the position he leaves.

i think the midfield now becomes - McGinn Tielemans Luiz Ramsey.
Irogbunam will remain on the bench i think
That's what will happen at Fulham I expect. We cannot play Tielmans next to Luiz though. His lack of pace will be exposed. Tim may well get good time in Europe depending who we draw.

Yes he’s raw but don’t forget Bogarde. Wrong thread maybe but could help take a bit of pressure off players who may be in danger of playing a bit too much

Emery has always said he wants 2 players for every position and Tim Iroegbunam was the player mentioned to cover Kamara so I would presume that will mean we will see more of Tim in that role.

EDIT: I've often thought Kamara and Luiz have a very similar style in the way they play so now thinking about this further, playing Tim may actually improve our midfield options as he will add a bit more physicality and bite in the tackle.

The problem at the moment is that he is untried in the Premier League and while he is a promising player he still has a lot to prove.

However, Newcastle MU, etc have recently thrown in young, inexperienced players and they have stepped up so I live in hope Tim can do the same.

Last edited:
That's what will happen at Fulham I expect. We cannot play Tielmans next to Luiz though. His lack of pace will be exposed. Tim may well get good time in Europe depending who we draw.
yep , that's i reckon what will happen (subject to further injuries).

Last edited:
Clubs like United and Newcastle don't seem scared of putting kids in.

Mainoo is doing brilliantly since he was given his chance. Newcastle have a couple really excelling.

Do we think Tim is good enough and will make the grade? If we do, play him.

If we don't, sell him. He's too old to be kept round for years on end and not be played, especially now fate has handed us the opportunity to play him.

Shuffling the pack and playing players out of position seems a cowards move to me.

I don't actually think Tim is good enough. I mean if we were bottom half prem or fighting relegation maybe he could do a job for us.

He is 21 soon and hasn't managed a run of prem games. Bear in mind Grealish was running FA cup semi finals at age 19 - sure Grealish was a once in a generation player - but that the calibre you need to be top 4.

I think Purslow was right in what he said that if you aren't in around the first team by the time you are 21 - you probably not going to be a top end prem player - as such you get moved on for those who are show more potential at a younger age

I don't actually think Tim is good enough. I mean if we were bottom half prem or fighting relegation maybe he could do a job for us.

He is 21 soon and hasn't managed a run of prem games. Bear in mind Grealish was running FA cup semi finals at age 19 - sure Grealish was a once in a generation player - but that the calibre you need to be top 4.

I think Purslow was right in what he said that if you aren't in around the first team by the time you are 21 - you probably not going to be a top end prem player - as such you get moved on for those who are show more potential at a younger age
I don't think anyone can make a judgement based on what we've seen. Unai sold Dendonker which says to me he has faith in Tim to be the back up to Kamara , so time will tell.

I don't think anyone can make a judgement based on what we've seen. Unai sold Dendonker which says to me he has faith in Tim to be the back up to Kamara , so time will tell.

But that's the whole point. He's almost 21 but hasn't been convincing enough to force a manager to give him a run of games.

Dendonker was loaned out to cut costs .

But that's the whole point. He's almost 21 but hasn't been convincing enough to force a manager to give him a run of games.

Dendonker was loaned out to cut costs .
Well that argument suits your penny pinching narrative. Tim isn't going to play ahead of Kamara normally so he won't have a run of games by default.

He has the chance to prove himself now. Like I said earlier if I were him , I would be busting a gut in training now.

Well that argument suits your penny pinching narrative. Tim isn't going to play ahead of Kamara normally so he won't have a run of games by default.

He has the chance to prove himself now. Like I said earlier if I were him , I would be busting a gut in training now.

It might suit my penny pinching narrative - but its also a fact that we let a highly experienced player leave with no replacement incoming - Other than a player who at almost 21 years age has never convinced enough to get a prem start. Kamara was injured earlier in the season and dendonker got the nod over Tim

I don't know - but I think a rejig of existing midfielders is more likely than TI getting a start - We only have to wait until Saturdays starting 11 to find out

I do think Dendonker went to cut costs (he'd have been on decent wages) as did Traore otherwise we'd have just left them hanging about on the off chance of a game . It does look like we have had our wings clipped on FFP looking at the January "potential" signings rather than players for here and now to help cement top 5

I do not think Dedonker is any better than Tim, Dedonker was not pulling up any trees at Wolves, but time will tell. It does depend on who you have in front of you, Archer was never going to get a run of games with Watkins playing as the main striker. It is always a safety first approach from managers in blooding youngsters unless you have the luxury of a larger squad like Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd.