The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Also, how would the sale of a big player and popular both on and off the pitch affect the morale of the players and fans?

Yes, I'll also only worry about it IF anything happens?

Also, how would the sale of a big player and popular both on and off the pitch affect the morale of the players and fans?

Yes, I'll also only worry about it IF anything happens?

If we are successful, we need to be able to sell players and replace them with equal or better players. Players come and go. The issue we had with dismantling MON's squad was that we didn't bring in sufficient quality to replace them.

I don’t think this is going to happen, IF we were to get an offer in January that the board couldn’t refuse for SJM (to me he’s priceless), I’d go and see if we could get Foden on loan for 5 months to fill the gap. No idea if Pep would let him go, surely the lad needs games and he’s not a lot dissimilar you SJM technically going forward.

I’ve made the point in other threads a few times, we can’t afford to build a team around Jack that stifles what SJM is good at. We need to cater for them both in my opinion, the video towards the end picks up on how dangerous SJM is in that inside forward right role when he drifts on, and I think this is when he’s at his most dangerous especially when Guilbert is bombing around him because you can’t afford to Freddy run by you and because SJM is so good at turning on players who get tight it opens up 2/3 of the width of the pitch for him to either run into or spread a pass.

A midfield where SJM is forced to keep his shape won’t work for him, so if he thinks the grass is greener somewhere else in the future he needs to make sure the Manager and tactics suit his style of play.

Looks knackered to me. With his all action non-stop charging about the pitch, he’s going to tire at some point. I’d be tempted to bench him for a game or two to recharge his batteries, as we are really missing his performances at the moment
Agree with this. I said to a mate last year that I feared McGinn would be found out after half a season in the premier league. That drop of the shoulder and turn is his "signature" move to create space and/or get away from an opponent. He's been getting dispossessed constantly in the past few games doing exactly that. With all of the advance scouting that goes on in this league, teams have seen it enough now to know what to expect.

Looks knackered to me. With his all action non-stop charging about the pitch, he’s going to tire at some point. I’d be tempted to bench him for a game or two to recharge his batteries, as we are really missing his performances at the moment

This.

His form has fallen off a cliff in the past 4-6 weeks. Despite his excellent performance for Scotland, I don't think the international break has done him (or us) any favours at all.

I'd put him on the bench for the Sheffield game and hope the rest revitalises him ahead of the games against Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnley. These games will define our season more than any others and we need the main men to come to the party.

There’s 6 days ‘til Sheff. Utd. away, I certainly wouldn’t bench him in such a key game, just give him a couple of days off to have some R&R. While I wouldn’t say he’s been bad lately he’s been a bit quieter than what we’re used to and i’m sure he doesn’t need to be told this either, we’ll see the real McGinn again soon enough.

He is massively frustrated in himself .

At one point in the second half he hoofed the ball away in frustration when he mucked up again.

He is not right at all.

Agree with this. I said to a mate last year that I feared McGinn would be found out after half a season in the premier league. That drop of the shoulder and turn is his "signature" move to create space and/or get away from an opponent. He's been getting dispossessed constantly in the past few games doing exactly that. With all of the advance scouting that goes on in this league, teams have seen it enough now to know what to expect.

Yes completely agree, I said it at the game today and possibly put it in the match thread. He does his hunched-over-the-ball swivel thing but every time he did it today the opposition midfield was expecting it and just blocked him for an easy tackle.

He needs to find something different to his game. He can step it up but I just hope he doesn’t lose confidence in the meantime because when he was high on confidence and in form for large parts of this year he was unplayable

I don’t agree it’s tiredness, he played nearly every game last season and that’s more relentless with all the midweek games too so should be able to cope with less games and he’s always had an abundance of energy