The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

I think at this stage its just poor form . He has set very high standards. Any drop in form will be noticable and it is.
The main thing is his energy levels have dropped right off.
Injured or just needing a rest is my theory.

It seemed to me that when we made the switch to put Jack on the left, McGinn suffered for it. He seems deeper and less effective without Jack beside him. He still uses his body magnificently.

Form is temporary. Class is permanent.
I think the problem with both Jack and SJM is that when we as a team are struggling , as we were yesterday, both have a tendancy to try to do it all on their own. They know they have the ability to turn games and both were guilty yesterday of taking on that one player to many or trying to hit the killer pass when easier options were on and we lost possesion as a result.

If we had eleven players that worked as hard as SJM we would be in a much stronger position ,remember "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard".
James Milner is not the most naturally gifted player, but his hard work and dedication mean that one of the best sides currently in the world, Liverpool ,( argh) keep coming back to him, even at the age of 33.

So what's up with him then?
Looks knackered? no pressing, no nicking the ball, no shots, not even getting in the box.
Has he got private issues, is he playing with a knock? or are we all imagining he's not the same the player these last 4 or 5 games

He is going through a bad spell. Why ? who knows. It's something that every sportsman at every level in the world has suffered at some point.

He will come through it , and probably be a better player for it.

He is going through a bad spell. Why ? who knows. It's something that every sportsman at every level in the world has suffered at some point.

He will come through it , and probably be a better player for it.

He's so consistent, you really notice when he's 5, not an 8 every week. Perhaps he's pining for his mate Jack their interlinking is one of our big misses

I think the other teams have looked at him and have worked out how he plays and can plan how to stop him meaning his natural game is no longer effective. His confidence looks shot at the moment. He needs to get his head down at the training ground and work out where he can improve his game. But just like Wesley continuing to play out of form players runs the risk of damaging their confidence even further - smith needs to be able to sub him if he’s not performing

Apparently SJM has been playing through the pain barrier since tearing a thigh muscle playing for Scotland, having painkilling injections to get through matches, and hasn't been training properly.

He only resumed full training last week and won't be playing tomorrow.

Probably explains a lot if true.

I’d be tempted to leave him out Saturday as well. Need to get him back to full fitness, instead of risking making it worse

Something has to give doesn't it.

If this is correct , no way will he be able to play the festive games.

This happened to SJ last year and he kept going until the baggies away in December and then was out for nearly 3 months .

The article I read said that he had only resumed full training this week. That to me suggests, whilst playing through the pain, he has been resting and recovering in the weeks.

So it's sounds a bit like they took a two steps forward and one step back approach to his recovery, if that makes sense.

Hopefully, not playing tonight and training this week will see him sharp for the weekend.

I don't know why he would be returning to training now, if they thought he wasn't now fully fit.