The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Yes it's a strange one.

Surely we should have bitten the bullet and left him out for a couple of games . Having said that I bet he was smashing Deano's door down telling him he was ok to play.

Having said that, any doubt he's not 100%, I'd have out of the game and resting up.

It's not like his form, with injury, has been un-dropable .

I would call it a stupid decision. As bad as leaving Mings on the pitch against Leicester.

In all fairness to Deano, I've seen plenty of good managers not take players off straight away when injured. If the player is saying he is ok, sometimes you have to trust them. From Mings point of view he was probably desperate to carry on and help the team.

I can get Mings, if he thought it was cramp etc.

Meatball is a little strange though given the other options.

Wouldnt you just know it, got injured playing for that bunch of perennial no hopers Scotland.

Clearly expecting him to be twice the player again - but whether he's four minutes apart remains to be seen.

I can get Mings, if he thought it was cramp etc.

Meatball is a little strange though given the other options.

I actually think both situations are utterly ridiculous actually (not like me to disagree with you is it...? :grinning:)

The Mings situation was beyond stupid. The player made a poor decision and tried to be a hero, and the staff (including the physios and coaches) have absolutely no excuse for not making the correct decision. I played and coached for a very long time and never in 30+ years have I seen a player get cramp after 18 minutes!
With McGinn, he's got a thigh strain, can't play at anywhere near 100% and you have three other midfield players who can take his place. Instead of getting him on intensive rehab for 1-2 games we've now had a shell of a player for the last 4, and likely to be out longer.
We coped Ok without Grealish earlier in the season (almost beat the european champions), so there shouldn't be a need to play a half-fit player.
It makes me wonder if they also knew about the Jota injury and let him keep playing when clearly he wasn't up to speed....

So you are really, really looking forward to seeing John McGinn back to his best against Southampton BB?:punk:

I really, really am, Merd.

(I'm in the jungle tonight, the internet is disgracefully slow here. No wonder monkeys are still in the stone age.)

Not sure I agree GM, we can't bang on about players coming off soft and then overreact when somebody plays on and tries to run it off without realising it's that serious.

Not sure I agree GM, we can't bang on about players coming off soft and then overreact when somebody plays on and tries to run it off without realising it's that serious.
Yeah we can, we're Villa fans, over-reaction is our thing.

John McGinn was just mentioned by the SNP Leader Ian Blackford in the debate on the Queen's Speech. :utv:

Was surprised when Mings admitted earlier in the season to having an injuction in his groin so he could play as well. Just always masks the pain, so surely could make an injury far worse?

Was mainly surprised because i thought those days were over. I know players of old were injected and sent out in any old state, and feck me many are paying for it now.