The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

Things have changed since 1998 in B-town, maybe the Bull Ring will be the clincher for Mrs Unsworth this time?

For everyone that’s slates the fat bastard Unsworth, name me another undefeated villa player in the past 20 years? Thought not
Ivo Stas

Linked with a Wigan centre half this morning. Dan Burn. Can't see us signing any player for a fee to be honest. It's probably going to have to be loans and free agents.

He looked superb against Man City in the Cup earlier in the season. Maybe we are not as penniless as people are making out?

Luc Nillis was a hell of a player, terrible what happened to him. Could have been great for us. At least he's had one truly brilliant moment for us, I'll always remember that goal vs Chelsea.

Interesting article that on Venglos. Always had a respect for him even if it didn't work out.
Dr Jo was the first foreign manager to come to the top flight then, he tried to integrate such outlandish ideas such as warm downs and introduce sensible eating habits to players who were too used to a drinking culture and bacon butties. When Wenger arrived at Arsenal a couple of seasons later he did a similar thing but with a bit more success.:rofl: Always held himself with dignity and i guess anyone was going to find it hard to follow Sir GT. Perhaps a bit ahead of his time.

But Gary Penrice for a £1m, that was a lot then and he was decidedly average (maybe an Ellis or Withe choice).

Last edited:
Apparently Leicester have offered Norwich £20m for James Maddison.

That puts Grealish's valuation into perspective, whether we are desperate for the money or not. He's certainly worth a great deal more than Morrison I would suggest.

Sean Clare's contract impasse at Sheffield Wednesday looks to have taken another turn. Clare, who is out of contract this summer, has been heavily linked with Aston Villa, but Villa's head of domestic recruitment Tony Coton has left the club to join Sunderland.

Still think it's more like £39m. And with players out of contract this summer that's £14m off. So reckon the wage bill is already down. And think it can be reduced further, e.g. if Elphick and one or two others go. We could be close to halving the wage bill.

Yep we still have expensive deadwood around, but reckon the real problem is cash flow.

Please McParland, PLEASE tell us where you are getting your figures and information from.

Everyone else is wrong but you are certain in you calculations. I would just really like to know.

Please McParland, PLEASE tell us where you are getting your figures and information from.

Everyone else is wrong but you are certain in you calculations. I would just really like to know.

Gave a breakdown in:
https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/the-summer-transfers-rumours-thread.71791/page-9

As mentioned there I got the salary figures from:
https://sillyseason.com/salary/aston-villa-players-salaries-99599/
There are a few oddities/typos in the table like Terry and Bree, and I've taken account of that and made estimates for Elmo, Whelan and McCormack. As it happens it comes out at £39m but that figure originally came from somewhere else, trying to remember where. The previous years' figures came from the annual accounts of Recon Sports Ltd.

However, a thought does occur to me. There may well be a PAYE figure for social security to shove on top of the players wages. If so that may bring it up nearer to the £45m (as a cost to the club, rather than players actual salaries). That would also increase the amount the club has saved by players contracts being up this summer. If that's the case, the current costs facing the club would be around £29m as opposed to the £25m I was thinking of.

We have players like Gardner, Elphick, and De Laet who could usefully be shifted out. Not sure if we could shift out Taylor and Hogan even if we wanted to.