The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

I haven't got a scooby, it's never even been confirmed - although I've a vague memory of a Xia tweet about a sell on fee, I'm just not sure it was Traore??

Although, to be fair, with the current circumstances, those players could perhaps be of use?

Although, to be fair, with the current circumstances, those players could perhaps be of use?

Maybe. But I've a feeling that our squad is still larger than we need. I think we've enough U23s coming through that, without throwing them in the deep end, they could be used as backup, to everybody's advantage. Maybe Taylor and Hogan are the most obvious candidates for keeping (and hardest to shift?).

------------------------------

Been thinking a bit more about finances; it has all sorts of complications. What I had been thinking about above was players' wages. However, there two other factors to take into account. One is social security costs; the other is PAYE re deductions from the players' wages.

We have to pay both to HMRC. The income tax figure alone must be getting on towards half of the players' wages. At a rough guess we're paying HMRC about £2m per month, which is what rumours say we're paying, i.e. £24m per year. The Recon Sports Limited accounts indicate we're paying about £7m (for the whole of the club, not just playing staff) in social security costs, which is a real cost to the club. The remainder is simply money which goes to HMRC rather than to the players.

Maybe it's so quite re tony xia twitter etc because he's selling up isn't there some sort of legislation where you can't communicate when selling

Reckon he looked promising before getting injured, more so than Onomah. Wouldn't be against him coming back as he can cover several positions. Would getting playing time if we're thining the squad down, as we're not over-blessed with U23s ready to step up in defence. Then again, think we should take another look at Tshibola.

Seemed to get injured a lot and we never played him in his actual position. If we could keep Chester I wouldn't be against having a partnership of him and Tuanzabe. We need to use our loans well this summer.

See the Birmingham Mail has an article about 10 World Cup players we could look at :eek!:

One moment they have us hitting the financial rocks, next moment looking at a list of possible signings.

Should resist selling Chester period!

I hope somebody in the club is keeping Chester and Grealish up to date on what's happening, even if the rest of us are in the dark. Not nice having the rest of the world treating you as a commodity.

They could treat me as a commodity all they like if a 7 figure signing on fee and about 40k a week plus was the result

They could treat me as a commodity all they like if a 7 figure signing on fee and about 40k a week plus was the result

Yeah but let's suppose Chester and Jack like playing for us, like the environment and want just to get on with it. Then you get newly relegated Stoke muscling in trying to get you on the cheap. Not exactly inspiring is it? Players don't like uncertainty hanging over them.

I don't get the Chester stories - signed for a reported £9 he's available for £8. We're talking the kind of fee a club wouldn't overly quibble over at £10-12m especially after the season he had.

I'm smelling press guff.

Last edited: