The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 104 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

If we were in for Tarkowski it would be done already, if he is faffing about with offers from Villa, Everton and Newcastle I feel like we would have rescinded the offer or given him a deadline. 90k/wk free transfer with a modest signing on bonus, we wouldn't have fucked around squabbling over 10, 15, 20k if we actually wanted him, thats my belief anyway.

The rumours are that Everton, despite being in FFP breach have offered him around £110k a week.

Robin Olsen is he really the best back up we can find with all our scouts getting Sheff utd reject who looked shite in goal on his debut thought well hoped that would be his last

Personally, I am convinced there is a good keeper in there, give him a year with Cutler and I bet he does pretty well. Whether he has the mentality to bounce back from his mistakes is the key. He is able to turn it on for Sweden and he had a good season in Rome. Steer isnt good enough to be a #2 at this level, he isnt going to push Martinez, Olsen will at a minimum be a high-level keeper on the training ground.

I'll criticize him for the first goal because his positioning for the cross may have been better but I am not criticizing him for the other two goals. You have to overlook a huge amount of outfield errors to ever think about blaming him for those other two goals.

You can't go blaming the keeper for not doing better when the whole team in front of them surrenders and collapses.

not really sure why you get a 32 yr old keeper in and hope he's not too bad after a years coaching by Cutler (if he hasn't been binned yet).
as far as I can see he was replaced at Roma before the season was out, then loaned out, followed by two further unsuccessful loans to Everton and Sheff utd.
all a bit shite tbh - you'd think a younger keeper would be better to train up for when emi leaves

not really sure why you get a 32 yr old keeper in and hope he's not too bad after a years coaching by Cutler (if he hasn't been binned yet).
as far as I can see he was replaced at Roma before the season was out, then loaned out, followed by two further unsuccessful loans to Everton and Sheff utd.
all a bit shite tbh - you'd think a younger keeper would be better to train up for when emi leaves

On paper what you're saying makes sense but realistically I think you want your young keeper out there playing not sitting on the bench or just training. If I were to do what you're saying I'd grab the Bazunu from City. He has been sensational for Ireland when he has played but being the age he is I am not sure he is commanding at corners so I think you want him out on loan where he is getting that experience, pressure, and physicality.

Olsen is experienced and he'll do a job when called on. Few teams have two top keepers, much like how we want to blame Mings, Luis, etc. Olsen isnt the reason we lost to City. What I read about his time at Roma was the defence in front of him was a disaster. Carlo signed him for Everton and gave him game time I think he knows better than the rest of us.

What I will say is he probably doesn't suit Gerrard's game because Olsen like Nick Pope is at his best as a shot-stopper. He isn't strong at playing out from the back, he isn't a sweeper keeper and he prefers to maintain his line. With that said having a good backup is incredibly difficult. IMO most 1st choice keepers in the league are pretty poor. I reckon he'd walk into almost any first team in the bottom half but nobody trusts him because perception is reality.

If he's happy to play 2nd fiddle and sit on the bench with the occasional cup game then fair play. He's a regular international with experience so a decent, if not spectacular, back up.
It's not like he's a lesser spotted Tom Heaton who went to Utd and has disappeared into the ether like a fart on a mountain top.

If he's happy to play 2nd fiddle and sit on the bench with the occasional cup game then fair play. He's a regular international with experience so a decent, if not spectacular, back up.
It's not like he's a lesser spotted Tom Heaton who went to Utd and has disappeared into the ether like a fart on a mountain top.
If Man City can employ Scott Carson I don't think we are doing so badly

It is what it is. Clearly I don't rate him but he has cost us a pittance and he does have good pedigree. In all likelihood he will hardly play. As a club we're not big enough to have two quality keepers on the payroll.

Even if you look at the top clubs then most of them do not have two quality keepers anyway. Liverpool have Adrian who is absolutely shocking and Man City have Zack Steffen who is utter garbage.

It is what it is. Clearly I don't rate him but he has cost us a pittance and he does have good pedigree. In all likelihood he will hardly play. As a club we're not big enough to have two quality keepers on the payroll.

Even if you look at the top clubs then most of them do not have two quality keepers anyway. Liverpool have Adrian who is absolutely shocking and Man City have Zack Steffen who is utter garbage.

I can imagine the uproar if we spent 25/30m on Pope and the stick he'd take if he replaced Martinez and kept his place.

It took big Nige ages to be accepted by some fans after he replaced Rimmer

Whilst we slag Burnley's Defenders and think of our own as superior they let in one less goal and lost 2 fewer games than us, in a side that got relegated.
So our superior firepower kept us up.
Not that that means anything in the big picture except in theory our defence who some think is sorted really isn't very good at all.

The thing is Burnley's defence sat deep, whereas SG wants ours to play higher and play football from the back, not hoof the ball 70 yards up field.

No brained for me. Experience and will do the job when called upon. Having a debut against man city is enough to make anyone nervous and I thought he grew into the game as it went on. First goal could have done better but no blame can really rely on the rest. Didn't cost us much so no complaints from me.

and how do you know they can't do that? We'd better sign VVD and one of his many partners then

Well Mee has been playing "the Burnley way" for 10 years and Tarkowski for 6 without ever showing the inclination to play any way apart from booting the ball instead of passing it.

I see Bassey got rave reviews for his performance for Nigeria yesterday, played at left back.
Really hoping this rumour comes true as the kids going to be huge