The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 264 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football goes in cycles, every generation thinks they've reinvented the game .
ie we can't play 442 anymore because, well nobody at the top does but as soon as someone plays it because they have two sensational strikers, they'll all start doing it.
It's how it is, you play to the strengths of the players you have and cover the weaknesses. Man City win things but I fall asleep watching them at times .

We seem to be buying players for a 433 or 442 or 352 or perhaps any combination to suit who we are playing.

Yes , and barely anyone knows about potential deals either , let alone some chancer reporter.

Yep they know nothing the Ings and Young ones were done before anyone had a sniff, the Bailey one was obviously leaked by his crazy stepdad agent.
It's like the made-up fees the only true one is the 100m the rest I doubt we've paid anything like except Buendia who I think the club said he was the record signing?

Football goes in cycles, every generation thinks they've reinvented the game .

I agree with this.
Robertson (MON public face claiming glory) was successful with Forest Funnel because it hadn't been seen for decades but eventually teams figured it out and the wheels fell off

Yes and no. The levels of skill, fitness and athleticism players have now enable styles of play not possible even fifteen years ago. The high press, full backs becoming one of the most important positions on the pitch, ball-playing goalkeepers, all being widely adopted for the first time. When everyone tried wing backs back end of last century it didn't work because it was only Dan Petrescu who could do it.

Yes and no. The levels of skill, fitness and athleticism players have now enable styles of play not possible even fifteen years ago. The high press, full backs becoming one of the most important positions on the pitch, ball-playing goalkeepers, all being widely adopted for the first time. When everyone tried wing backs back end of last century it didn't work because it was only Dan Petrescu who could do it.

Not to mention 7 subs on the bench, I come from the generation where there was one utility player on the bench just in case of injury and people older than me will remember when there were no subs.
Everything has moved on but all these systems have been around since Puskas in the 50s and the England wingless side the Brazillian side of 70. Nothing is new except judging players by stats to prove this and that

Two of the best DM's I can remember Villa having in recent years were Barry and Petrov. Hardly enforcer types.

I think Luiz is going to get better and better as he matures. He just needs to cut out the silly fouls.

I really think we need to give Luiz time. Strikes me as one of them players that we will have that we will complain about then he will go on to big things. Gueye springs to mind here. Give him the time knuckle down and earn that spot, get his confidence up and allow him to play football.

Give him the time knuckle down and earn that spot, get his confidence up and allow him to play football.
we did that last year and it didn't happen. Agree we should give him another go though, but he has to start performing and fast. This isn't a league for learning on the job

To be charitable, he hasn't exactly had a bad career.

He's possibly the most forgettable player in premier league history. Has any player who has a comparable amount of games had less of an impact/memorable moments? 258 premier league appearances and I bet even he can't remember one thing he's actually done.

He's possibly the most forgettable player in premier league history. Has any player who has a comparable amount of games had less of an impact/memorable moments? 258 premier league appearances and I bet even he can't remember one thing he's actually done.
He did score a screamer of a free kick against manure once. I think?

we did that last year and it didn't happen. Agree we should give him another go though, but he has to start performing and fast. This isn't a league for learning on the job

With respect when the team was performing so was he. It wasn't just Luiz whose form dipped when the whole team struggled. I do agree though he needs to work on his tackling but I dont fault his effort. If he is going to be in that dedicated role then he will need to get to grips with the discipline and positional awareness that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.