The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

El Ghazi has until Jan for me.

The other two, at least next season but not as starters.

We can't tear everything again and look to 10 changes....we need 4/5 key changes only.

Well the 2 wingers need to be squad players and nothing more. They can't be relied upon.

And Samatta has simply fallen apart after the restart. Davis looks a better player and so did Wesley. If we're bringing in another striker I don't see a place for him.

With a bit of work, knowing El Ghazi can finish, I think there's use out of him as a late sub but through the middle.

Trez has work rate, but needs to show more.

Sama started well but then madly tailed off.

All 3 have the excuse they are adjusting to the PL - the latter two a new club - I wouldn't rule either out if they quickly impress more next season, but definitely agree they are squad and we look for instantly better. If they then do improve significantly having adjusted, it's a double win.

I'm also assuming we'll see a boost to the 25 man PL squad given the bollocky upping to five usable subs, so again, given they all should now be better settled, at least we know what to expect from them as bench warmers even if they don't improve further.

All 3 run around like headless chickens at the top (Trez has definitely improved defensively with tracking) - there could still be a place for them next year as options - but again, not starters without massive improvements.

We need quality. Samatta has been disgraceful for most of his appearances, he offers absolutely nothing. El Ghazi hasn't proven he can cut it this level, Trez has done great recently but not a starter.

Samatta should be sold and El Ghazi and Trez cannot be starters at all next season. We need to look at 4 quality players to go straight into the first team, I'd say a striker, a winger to replace Trez, a central midfielder to replace Hourihane and a new partner for Mings. I like Konsa a lot but again it's about asking the question can we do better and we can given the position we're in. Obviously some extra squad signings needed but that IMO would put us in a good place to consolidate next season.

Disagree Pangloss, we can't keep saying we have to learn from not writing players off too soon and then write Samanogoal off after a disrupted introduction into a squad lacking confidence and a plan after 6 months.

Absolutely not a starter, but a bench option to see if he can improve as he adjusts. If it's obvious by Jan that's a no, we sell.

The other two as stated, they can play a meaningful role but also need further improvements.

I disagree on Konsa, I see what you are saying, but this season will be the making of the lad in my humble, it would be a mistake to bench him. And Hause could also kick on now properly.

If anything, we need to lose the out of contractors and Lansburys, but keep everyone else so we only need to add 5. Get some momentum and consistency back.

I'm all for giving players time, but some of these are just not good enough. We should see all the problems of this season put right i hope, we can't do that again surely.

200.gif

It's a biggly window and no one will do it better than us.
200.gif

Disagree Pangloss, we can't keep saying we have to learn from not writing players off too soon and then write Samanogoal off after a disrupted introduction into a squad lacking confidence and a plan after 6 months.

Absolutely not a starter, but a bench option to see if he can improve as he adjusts. If it's obvious by Jan that's a no, we sell.

The other two as stated, they can play a meaningful role but also need further improvements.

I disagree on Konsa, I see what you are saying, but this season will be the making of the lad in my humble, it would be a mistake to bench him. And Hause could also kick on now properly.

If anything, we need to lose the out of contractors and Lansburys, but keep everyone else so we only need to add 5. Get some momentum and consistency back.
Fair enough but to me if we buy a striker, which I think you can agree we need to, then that new forward, Wesley (who showed 10 times more promise than Samatta) and Davis should be more than enough since we don't play two up top so I'd personally ship Samatta out.

We just need more quality and need to be ruthless with it. Besides, it's a squad game and in this day and age you need 3-4 capable centre halves so with quality signing at the back we'll be well set, Konsa will still get a good amount of games, it's a long hard season after all and Smith also likes him at right back.

It will be a very big mistake to stick with most of this first team. We need 4 to go into immediately and the others to be pushed to the bench and in some circumstances moved on.

Fair enough but to me if we buy a striker, which I think you can agree we need to, then that new forward, Wesley (who showed 10 times more promise than Samatta) and Davis should be more than enough since we don't play two up top so I'd personally ship Samatta out.

We just need more quality and need to be ruthless with it. Besides, it's a squad game and in this day and age you need 3-4 capable centre halves so with quality signing at the back we'll be well set, Konsa will still get a good amount of games, it's a long hard season after all and Smith also likes him at right back.

It will be a very big mistake to stick with most of this first team. We need 4 to go into immediately and the others to be pushed to the bench and in some circumstances moved on.

I'm with you there, we need a proven striker but we also need back up. We know exactly what Davis does and doesn't give us. The jury is out on both Wes (we know he can finish) and Sama (his movement is far better).

It's just we've seen what the break did for Luiz in particular, give them at least til Jan if not the whole season to improve further, settle properly before deciding 100%. In terms of the physical, I'd actually be tempted to send Sama out for 6 months myself. Be ruthless once settled and you have the replacement.

Any Prem side should be carrying 4 strikers of differing qualities unless you discover a Kane for example anyway, especially if the boosted squad becomes a reality. So we have time for them to find that improvement, but again, if they don't - can always ship in January.

Same as defence really, Engels started really well until he dropped. I wouldn't rule him out yet and injury aside, he'll be more settled next year, know the language better and so on.

I agree whilst we shouldn't shuffle the squad by 10+ again, neither should we stick as we are, but I'd say we are in the position where we now move accepted starters to the bench and try and bring in better. Rather than just jettisoning them immediately - especially as we have a couple out of contract anyway.

Freshen, improve yes, but no overhaul. We should be looking to sign 4/5 guaranteed starts and then 5 with potential who get the season to bed in maybe getting 10 games a piece to help them settle (letting them settle whilst we consider those out of contract next season and whether they have a future, along with those we must see improvement from now - ie Trez et al).

So who are our definite first team starters and what do we need to add have a really competitive first team?

Sorry ironside, that's way too sensible a question for me to attempt tonight.

As a short answer, I'd be looking at a striker, 2 wingers if we continue with wingers and fullbacks as an absolute must.

The caveats being, I'd like to see Targett moved to attack and let him cover defence, not control it. Guilbert needs backup as Elmo is moving towards an easier life. I think we need wingers who cut in more than the current (El Ghazi aside-Trez does more stick). Striker is obvious. But a lot depends on whether DS is genuinely thinking about Hause and Konsa as fullbacks moving forward.

Wibble.

Over the last few matches we've finally found out how to defend. We can build on that.

BUT, it's glaringly obvious that we don't have a functioning attack worthy of the name. We need to be able to attack as a team, with speed, force and precision.

It's not about individual players here or there. It's about the team going forwards. We need to work out the system and buy players to fit it.

Otherwise, we'll be one of the strugglers again next season.

Last summer was about numbers, this summer is about quality. As others have said, we need 3 or 4 who will improve our starting 11 (that assumes Jack & Dougie stay). The likes of Benrahma, Sarr will be in big demand. I would like a pacy winger and striker in ASAP but that’s easier said than done. I can think of several possible wingers but not many strikers who would get us 15-20 league goals. I trust the cheque books are ready as only 48 days until the new season starts.