The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One hell of a step up from Drinkwater.

I think we can all agree on that.

I only have 2 concerns.

1, It's loan deal with no option to buy. So effectively we are paying the high wages, fitness and training of a rival clubs player.

2, I prefer Jack on the inside left just behind the attacker. One thing Jack excels at is being creative, making things happen in tight spaces. And Barkley coming in, ultimately means Jack will be most likely deployed wide left.

Not moaning here and Barkley is a great addition to squad - but just pointing out a couple of negatives.

I only have 2 concerns.

1, It's loan deal with no option to buy. So effectively we are paying the high wages, fitness and training of a rival clubs player.

2, I prefer Jack on the inside left just behind the attacker. One thing Jack excels at is being creative, making things happen in tight spaces. And Barkley coming in, ultimately means Jack will be most likely deployed wide left.

Not moaning here and Barkley is a great addition to squad - but just pointing out a couple of negatives.

I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, Would you rather Ross Barkley at Crystal Palace or West Ham ? Excelling their season and perhaps even finishing above us for that one loan deal.

We might be paying for his high wages but I have no doubt he'll be value for money, he has his own agenda of playing well to get back into the England squad, that is his objective, and to do that he needs to have a good season with us.

Also no one knows if there is a buy option, there could well be one and that's why it took a couple of weeks to iron out.
I've got no doubt if there was any possible way for us to get a buy option, we'd of taken it, if we haven't managed it then I'd still rather have him than not have him, and especially if he landed up at a club more our level.

His performances alone could be the difference between picking up an extra 10+ points, excelling our final position, looking a far better prospect for other players to come to and with the extra financial clout.

He'll be 27 this year and be on his way to 28 when he goes back to Chelsea, to that end he'll want to be starting regularly and unless he has an absolutely sensational season for us I still can't see that happening at Chelsea.

its a strange one, he is undoubtedly a quality player, but things havent happened for him at Chelsea, maybe had his head turned.... im not going to comment on how good he's going to be for us until i see him play but i just hope he's better value than the last chelsea loanee we had
The one before the last one from Chelsea wasn't too bad for us - hopefully it is every other loanee that works out 👍

I only have 2 concerns.

I honestly think Jack is best on the left or playing as a no.10 with as few defensive responsibilities as possible. He got shown up in midfield defensively at the start of last season and only really came into form when he went out wide. Barkley's played CM most of his career and can mix it off the ball as well as with the ball at his feet going forward.

I know Jack has said in the past that no.8 is his preferred position but I wouldn't be surprised if last season has changed his mind.

We'll just have to see his attitude when he plays as he certainly has the ability.
If he's coming thinking it's a step down he's in for a shock. He won't get an easy ride beyond his first couple of games

Is this a modern thing to complain about loaning players? Jesus Christ he's a quality player who will improve us. If he delivers then we're be better off next season and be in a better position to add more quality. Moaning for the sake of moaning IMO. It's a really morose outlook and this is coming from someone who is generally bitter and twisted.

I think Spurs and Arsenal have a player on loan both from better teams than themselves, no different to us loaning one from Chelsea

I wonder how Jack would be if he was called a forward with goals and not making goals his aim? He said recently that he now likes scoring goals. I'm always shouting shoot at him but before he was seen as the playmaker.

Maybe Ross becomes that and Jack gets 25 goals this season.
:jangel:

Left forward is Jack's best position and I agree he has the ability to score goals, probably not 25 but certainly double figures each season.

Barkley slotting into the centre should help with this with his quality of passing in the final third.

It’s now claimed that West Ham wanted Barkley, but the Hammers were ‘unable’ to match the £11million deal Villa struck.

That figure comes from Barkley’s wages as well as the loan fee and agent fees involved in the deal, which West Ham just weren’t prepared to pay.

Ooof.....that's a fair wedge. But it's not my money.

If Barkley has a fantastic season and enjoys his time at Villa I would expect him to push for a permanent move.

If you're having a great time why return to a club where you are a peripheral player?

If his wages are as suggested £80-£90k that shouldn't prove a sticking point either.

BTW have Chelsea unofficially become our parent club? :fish:

A mate of mine who supports Man Utd said it was a good move to go to a “smaller club”.

This is a temporary thing, over history Chelsea are no bigger than us, we’ll get back to their league positions and have a bigger stadium to match their new one over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.