The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think so , but 6 days in 18 days must take it's toll , no matter what the stats say.
I know but that's partly Deans fault for not using his squad after he said he would, not good asking a player if he wants to play, of course, he'll say yes
Barkley looks knacker but I have that sneaky feeling that is just how he is , Chris waddle always looked permanently knackered.

I wouldn't take Lingard in a million years, but I also am not all that keen on signing Barkley at this stage.

Barkley is a player with a lot of quality and match winning ability (he has won us two games after all) with a track record of being inconsistent. There's a distinct possibility that Barkley is out of form because of Barkley rather than anything else. Wouldn't be the first time in his career.
i think Everton fans mentioned there may be an issue with how he refuels between games

Think your time lines are a bit optimistic. I know someone who was in perfectly good health but is still suffering 6 months after having COVID so none of us really know. We’ve not been at our best since the COVID outbreak and it could still be affecting one or two for all we know. Recovery seems to vary from person to person no matter what their age or even how fit they are in some cases.

The recovery timeline is what I found on a trusted website. How old is the person you know? I agree recovery varies from person to person, however to me it seems unlikely Anwar has been severely affected or else he would not have been on the bench and come on as a sub in our first game after the covid infection among the team. Even with or without covid to Anwar, to me it is obvious Barkley will start regardless of his form.

Last edited:
Yup my wife and I both had it at the same time at the start of October. I was fine after 2 weeks but I run a lot and it took me a lot longer to get back to where I was before I had it. My wife is still suffering from the after affects of it now.

Also these are elite athletes we are talking about so it could affect them a lot harder.

Hope she gets back to full fitness soon.

The recovery timeline is what I found on a trusted website. How old is the person you know? I agree recovery varies from person to person, however to me it seems unlikely Anwar has been severely affected or else he would not have been on the bench and coke on as a sub in our first game after the covid infection among the team. Even with or without covid to Anwar, to me it is obvious Barkley will start regardless of his form.

He’s in his late thirties. Time will tell regarding team selection. Either way Barkley has plenty to prove be it starting or ultimately from the bench.

He’s in his late thirties. Time will tell regarding team selection. Either way Barkley has plenty to prove be it starting or ultimately from the bench.

Ahem... late thirties?

Whatever, when Ross first started playing for us he made a big difference, because he was getting things going in the middle of the park. No longer was Jack the sole outlet. With jack stirring things on the wings and Ross bringing other players in we created problems, as L'pool found out. We attacked on a broad front.

That's what we need, but we're not getting it now. Is it Ross, or are other players not playing their part. I think it's Ross. He's no longer the focal point of the middle. I thing one reason why Traore is looking lost is that he's not getting service from the middle, and Cash is too tied up to go forwards.

Next season we need that middle of the park role nailed, because that plus Jack gives us real bite. That's what Ross was bought for and if he can't do it we need somebody else. In the meantime, Sanson has to be given the chance.

For me. He has had a couple of decent games where he linked up well with Jack.
But nothing special.
Everyone talks about this ability and skill.
Really?
Where have we seen this?
Have we seen it at chelsea? Nope.
We saw it once a month when he was at everton and cfc probably bought him for the potential.
I see a lazy, unfocussed, uncommitted, stroppy player who doesnt even look bothered to try to live up to his hype.
I will be fuming if he starts again the foxes.
If we buy him my head will explode.
Absolutely 100 percent not my cup of tea.

I know but that's partly Deans fault for not using his squad after he said he would, not good asking a player if he wants to play, of course, he'll say yes
Barkley looks knacker but I have that sneaky feeling that is just how he is , Chris waddle always looked permanently knackered.
I don’t want to slate Smith because I think he’s doing a great job, but I just don’t think he “gets” fitness at this level. It was the same with Drinkwater last season, or McGinn after he returned from injury, maybe Barkley now too. When he said in December “I’ve never had to take a player off with exhaustion” it just sounded a bit naive to me. Of course there’s a balance between best side vs fittest side, but if players are a few percent off it then in the PL that will cost points

Presume you think I’m referring to Ross Barclay’s age?! If you read the thread, you’ll see I’m not.

I was thinking he either misunderstood your post or said that because you were comparing the immune system of a 25 yr old Elghazi vs the person you know in their late thirties.

I don’t want to slate Smith because I think he’s doing a great job, but I just don’t think he “gets” fitness at this level. It was the same with Drinkwater last season, or McGinn after he returned from injury, maybe Barkley now too. When he said in December “I’ve never had to take a player off with exhaustion” it just sounded a bit naive to me. Of course there’s a balance between best side vs fittest side, but if players are a few percent off it then in the PL that will cost points
I do see where you are coming from mate but he is one of the new breeds of manager who calls himself a head coach and speaks with all the new terminology that has evolved over the last few years, So he's very much into stats and monitoring fitness levels. and the rest of the bollocks that come out of their mouths

I think people are turning on him because he's not a Villa player. Have his performances been any worse than Traore or even Grealish against Brighton? Not at all. He scored the winner against Southampton, he's literally a match winning player. When he plays at his best he links up the entire attack. Watkins has scored the vast majority of his goals when Barkley has been in the team because he creates space for him, draws defenders and links up Grealish with the rest of the attack.

El Ghazi had a great little burst of form in December but against very weak teams on the whole. Barkley is a superior player. Having said that, I want to see Sanson or Ramsey given a chance against Leicester as well as Trezeguet for Traore. Starting out of form players when we have options on the bench waiting for opportunities doesnt make sense.

I think people are turning on him because he's not a Villa player. Have his performances been any worse than Traore or even Grealish against Brighton? Not at all. He scored the winner against Southampton, he's literally a match winning player. When he plays at his best he links up the entire attack. Watkins has scored the vast majority of his goals when Barkley has been in the team because he creates space for him, draws defenders and links up Grealish with the rest of the attack.

El Ghazi had a great little burst of form in December but against very weak teams on the whole. Barkley is a superior player. Having said that, I want to see Sanson or Ramsey given a chance against Leicester as well as Trezeguet for Traore. Starting out of form players when we have options on the bench waiting for opportunities doesnt make sense.

Are we even allowed to criticise now? Or just accept that all of our players are world class flawless players? I agree with you on starting players based on form, but is that what we get to see in the team selections?

He is potentially a match winning player when he is fit and when he can be bothered.
He gives the impression of being neither at the moment.

He is potentially a match winning player when he is fit and when he can be bothered.
He gives the impression of being neither at the moment.
That's how I feel about El Ghazi, but the big difference being the huge difference in quality between the two players. If El Ghazi shows he's fit and firing in training, then he'll get selected. If he's anything like that 45 minute first half cameo he had the other day, I don't want to see him in a Villa shirt again. December was the first time I've thought El Ghazi belonged here since we got promoted, and his most recent performance negated that yet again.

That's how I feel about El Ghazi, but the big difference being the huge difference in quality between the two players. If El Ghazi shows he's fit and firing in training, then he'll get selected. If he's anything like that 45 minute first half cameo he had the other day, I don't want to see him in a Villa shirt again. December was the first time I've thought El Ghazi belonged here since we got promoted, and his most recent performance negated that yet again.
I wouldnt disagree with that mate.
The Villa I see for next season wont include either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.