The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you're spot on here GM.

I don't think he even fits Deans system 100% but it was decent management. Get a lad in to keep Grealish happy and also take in a lad of greater standard quality-wise on a short-term basis. I also think a part of Dean and coaches thought they'd get him in and crack the code too. I think they've probably realized they bit off more than they can chew. You can't teach work ethic, changing that comes from within the individual and I dont think Barkley is arsed.

I doubt we sign him unless Chelsea basically give him to us.
I'm deadly serious when I say that I think a sports psychologist could be a big help to a lad like Barkley.... I assume the club has one on staff, or at least has access to one....

I loved the way he played against Liverpool. Driving forward causing chaos.

But I remember watching his welcome to Villa interview, and a little alarm bell went off as he was quite arrogant. I put the thought away thinking well players need to believe in themselves.

But I think we now see that he has an opinion of himself that is not warranted. He will never put a shift in.
Shak 'im off.

But I remember watching his welcome to Villa interview, and a little alarm bell went off as he was quite arrogant. I put the thought away thinking well players need to believe in themselves.

But I think we now see that he has an opinion of himself that is not warranted. He will never put a shift in.
Shak 'im off.

Yes I thought that too, said something about he liked scoring, never mentioned grafting that was for sure

I said it when we signed Morgan Sanson.

That is, I think Sanson was bought to replace Barkley, who I feel will be sent back to Chelsea at the end of the season. Sanson has, I feel, the quality, and even though he cost less, don't forget we bought him at a knockdown price, so he should have the quality.

Only time will tell of course.

Makes you wonder how much patience Smith has, much rather see him giving our youngsters a shot at it, at least they would make an effort.

I wonder what these numbers are that Dean speaks of, my eyes obviously see a different player.
I see a lazy arsed player with an attitude problem, not sure what Dean sees but he is the Boss and he will get the sack if he's wrong

I'm not convinced Barkley is as lazy as some think. When he first joined he was a completely different player, he played with plenty of pace and energy, he was picking the ball up and driving at the opposition causing them problems. This was helping Jack as teams couldn't focus all their attention on him. Since returning from his injury, he has rarely broken in to a sprint. When he receives the ball now he takes an age to decide what to do with it, often getting closed down and dispossessed.
Personally I think its a combination of not being fully fit and very low on confidence, as he knows he's been playing shit. If he was just lazy, then surely he wouldnt have played as well as he did when he first turned up. He definitely needs to be benched for next week though, bring him on during the 2nd half if we need some creativity.

This new Chelsea manager would'nt stand for him. I dont expect DS to bollock him in public, but don't take the supporters for idiots. If he's not fit thats Smiths problem. He should'nt be playing a player who's not up to it. The young kid Ramsey did more in 15 minutes than the whinger did in 75. Carefull Dean this bloke will cause trouble.

All of these guys who want to play "in the hole" are the same. They want to wander around the pitch and make a few fancy passes a game while everyone else does the hard yards for them.

McGinn would put in a shift every game in that position.

I’ve always felt the big and unseen downside of three in the midfield is that players can think they have an easy ride, as they outnumber the opposition. The downside is you don’t have as many outlets in other positions such as up top to play it to, so you can’t afford to stroll out quite the opposite.

The disappointing thing with Barkley is that during the last few games, I could count on both hands the number of minutes I’ve seen him pop up on the ball through making an effort to change his position.

I share Deano’s (not that deano) view, I don’t think he wants to be here in the Midlands at a club with demanding, lofty ambitions. He is probably more suited to a Fulham or a Palace, where he would be able to have less pressure and potentially play with less demands, the aim being to survive.

His stroll back taking his boots off was one of throwing the towel in through my eyes, I know that view isn’t shared, but I haven’t seen anything like it in my lifetime from a professional. I’ve seen anger, acceptance, even players cry - but I haven’t seen quite that. Perhaps down to the new rules of leaving the pitch and no fans, but it was a new one.

Shak 'im off.

The gauge I get is that he is all about himself.

I watch him play, and he’s tries nutmegging a player 30 yards from our goal, or he’s trying to turn 180 degrees rather than play a ball to the right back the way he’s facing.

I don’t think he’s seeing us as a club as his long term solution. He’s too hot and cold, and would prefer a club who will accept him doing wonderful things one week followed by three abject weeks.

He’s the sort of attitude I hated playing with when during my playing days of football. Billy big bollocks with all the talent in the world but wrong attitude and all about themselves.

Last edited:
His stroll back taking his boots off was one of throwing the towel in through my eyes, I know that view isn’t shared, but I haven’
Well I share it dan.
He might aswell have walked round the pitch with two fingers in the air.
If VP had been packed he would have got mullered after that performance.

Whatever the issues are with Barkley he's not up to the job. We can't carry anybody and even if his flicks and tricks don't come off there's no excuse for not closing down space and making a serious effort to win the ball back. As I say, there could be underlying issues in which case he shouldn't play until they've been resolved.

At the moment, I hate to say it, but he is showing the level of commitment that the Prick Stephen Ireland showed

Status
Not open for further replies.