The Rafa Benitez Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Rafa Benitez Thread

What Pyrry says.

*with the caveat - the window is not closed yet; and, things are only likely to happen, when we shift our deadwood. He'll be on a wage budget as part of his remit/funding.

I like Benitez, if that's because i believe he had integrity, knowledge and a decent history or it's just because he comes across as a decent bloke, i don't know.
However i do have the following concerns about him.
Why on earth has he' bought into' the MA plan? I don't buy the "i love the UK, my family are here" argument. He has enough dosh to have a nice life here without the hassle of football. If he ' needs' the footy then he'd have no problemo finding a position in a club with aspiration.
Regarding his tactics, i think he's one of those Managers who can't see any other
way, bit like Wenger.

When Rafa speaks he commands respect and you can only think the players give a little bit extra as well on the back of it.

He also has a game plan for a game that he sticks with but can change it if he needs to and the plan he is on is no quick fix. He wants a slow build but has found out that Ashley is a liar and his 'project' will take time if it is indeed allowed to bear fruit ever.

I also heard that Rafa has a clause in his contract as well that Ashley insisted on in that he has to pay the club if he walks out of his contract. Not sure how true it is but it wouldn't surprise me and would explain one or two things.

On saying this, he seemed chirpier in the press conference earlier which could mean something or nowt. Long way to go yet in this.

We fucked up the beginning of last season as well.

I'm prepared to give him and his players plenty of time.

I think we're all aware he needs to add.

My gripe with him is I wish he'd give up on his lone striker policy. For me, they always work better when in tandem.

The bus from Manchester must be close. I heard it off a person who is 'rarely, if ever, wrong.'

Like a few knights in shining armour.

I like Benitez as a bloke but he certainly isn't as good a manager as some on here think he is. Its ok doing it with a world class squad but when you have to deal with bog standard players your true managerial class comes out. you just have to look at Guardiola at city, he isn't exactly pulling up trees and he has spent a fucking fortune on players.

He was amazing at Barcelona/Bayern but coming to a league as fast as the premier league his style of play isn't working. Our next manager should be someone who has done ok for a club without the funds to work with, because i cannot see Benitez being here by the January transfer window.

People really need to ignore the likes of Sky and whatever other media outlet Ashley's PR brigade has got to as their agenda is worse than propaganda.

We have a World Class manager in charge of us with a pedigree which puts him right up there and he wants to try to replicate his successes here, only we have a bloke in charge of us that wants to use every avenue possible to divert eyes from what he's done to the club.

Tonight was a clear message from Rafa and he even hinted in his pre-match press conference as to what was to come. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Graham Carr inspired team that was chosen to start, just to highlight how weak we are in squad depth.

Nowt wrong with Rafa's tactics but there's plenty of things wrong in it's application so far. I also dont think that Ashley is too bothered about going down anyway as the coverage is almost priceless.

Another chance to win a trophy gone. Unacceptable no matter who's picking the team. The policy of we do not try in cup competitions is clearly still in place.Rafa's got a World Class pedigree but he needs to start showing it. If tonight was a way of putting people in the shop window they'll be having to borrow those big ShiteDirect 80% off stickers. The majority of the signings on display tonight weren't Carr's they were Benitez's. Namely Lazaar , Hanley, Gamez , Diame, and Murphy.

keggy_keagal - 24/8/2017 00:57

Another chance to win a trophy gone. Unacceptable no matter who's picking the team. The policy of we do not try in cup competitions is clearly still in place.Rafa's got a World Class pedigree but he needs to start showing it. If tonight was a way of putting people in the shop window they'll be having to borrow those big ShiteDirect 80% off stickers. The majority of the signings on display tonight weren't Carr's they were Benitez's. Namely Lazaar , Hanley, Gamez , Diame, and Murphy.

Carr was still here when they were bought and we dont know for certain whether they were recommended to Rafa or not is basically my angle on it.

As it is, im not going to give Rafa a free reign from criticism, the same as I didn't with Keegan and Sir Bobby but this just feels like a big game of politics of the likes we've never had here. Tonight was a shot across the bows from Rafa in my opinion.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 23/8/2017 23:33

People really need to ignore the likes of Sky and whatever other media outlet Ashley's PR brigade has got to as their agenda is worse than propaganda.

We have a World Class manager in charge of us with a pedigree which puts him right up there and he wants to try to replicate his successes here, only we have a bloke in charge of us that wants to use every avenue possible to divert eyes from what he's done to the club.

Tonight was a clear message from Rafa and he even hinted in his pre-match press conference as to what was to come. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Graham Carr inspired team that was chosen to start, just to highlight how weak we are in squad depth.

Nowt wrong with Rafa's tactics but there's plenty of things wrong in it's application so far. I also dont think that Ashley is too bothered about going down anyway as the coverage is almost priceless.

It's patronising to assume that any criticism of Benitez is sky or Ashley induced Toony ?

His team are playing shit football,his players don't look motivated or properly prepared,and his negative tactics are there for all to see,I don't need Sky to point that out.

I often read that he is a world class manager,
people are entitled to their opinions and his record and past glories can be rolled out as proof of this fact,but there are political commentators who can produce proof that Margret Thatcher was the best PM we ever had as well.

His last five clubs knew he wasn't good enough.

As for integrity,that team he put out was an insult to the paying public.

Unsurprisingly the raffarites are trying to spin his selection as a master plan,in reality it was poor management and disrespectful to those that turned up.

Rafa took a gamble last night, by wanting to protect most of his 1st team, and play a mix of youth, fringe, and players who are expected to leave.

It didn't work. Bad result.

It's a meaningless competition though, so I'm over it.

On the plus side, Mitrovic looks eager to take any chance he's given to play. And by the time the FA Cup competition comes around (a proper Cup competition), we should be more settled.

If we beat Wet Spam - last nights result will be forgotten, albeit brushed under the carpet.

'As for integrity,that team he put out was an insult to the paying public'

To be fair, the team that played Huddersfield was an insult, I doubt very much they would have got a different result.

Paul Kannell - 24/8/2017 08:06

'As for integrity,that team he put out was an insult to the paying public'

To be fair, the team that played Huddersfield was an insult, I doubt very much they would have got a different result.

:17:

To be fair if Pardew had of been in charge of that shower he would have been rightly slaughtered. No doubt Benitez has a pedigree but the last two games have shown that we have a shit squad and that he is too negative.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 24/8/2017 01:02

keggy_keagal - 24/8/2017 00:57

Carr was still here when they were bought and we dont know for certain whether they were recommended to Rafa or not is basically my angle on it.

As it is, im not going to give Rafa a free reign from criticism, the same as I didn't with Keegan and Sir Bobby but this just feels like a big game of politics of the likes we've never had here. Tonight was a shot across the bows from Rafa in my opinion.

I don't agree on the Carr point . Rafa stated (and we know from past experience and more recent statements Rafa only says what Rafa wants to) : “I will take responsibility (of transfers) if I have to take responsibility. From day one my relationship with Lee Charnley was really good. I am pleased to work with him." He's taking the responsibility, it's on him .

He's certainly not above making a political point with his team selection but if that was the case last night that's deplorable. It's supportive of every policy Mike Ashley has had in place since he's been here . The policy that made Keegan walk . It's this simple. It's Mike Ashley's golden rule. Nothing matters but my money , secure me more money.

The fans don't matter , the ground doesn't matter, the club doesn't matter, ambition doesn't matter , the staff don't matter , the manager doesn't matter, our history doesn't matter, our legacy doesn't fucking matter. I just don't see where the debate is. Ashley's never going to change, never. I understand when Benitez was wheeled out and interviews were given the supporter base, and us Newcastle fans are certainly optimistic, thought maybe he's changed maybe he finally gets it ? He doesn't, he barely gives a fuck .

He's like Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas . Make money on a player sale ? Fuck them wheres my money ? Compete in a cup competition ? Fuck that wheres my money? Relegated to The Championship ? Get back up and get me my fucking money ?

I like Rafa Benitez , I've always thought he was a good manager and I believe he's a decent bloke but he's not being truthful if he's playing politics with selection and implying he was deceived over transfer business. He's had the luxury of being able to judge Ashley on his history, a luxury Keegan never had, and his treatment of two of the pillars of Newcastle United in Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer should have sent him running from the negotiating table. He didn't and he's now just another product on the shelf, credibility for sale, respect for sale because for Mike Ashley everything's got a price .

Keggy's bang on there. I'd only add that Ashley has gone public on his 'disposable income'. He's probably lying but who cares? It underlines his intentions. He will spend no money. The club only exists to deliver his cash bonus. I don't think he bothers with the club; it's there to give him cash.
Nothing else. Rafa has to do it all with a bit of day to day admin from Charnley.

If you still wish to support the club, that is how it is. I don't think a better manager than Benitez is going to take on that situation. I don't know when the frustration of his circumstances will force him out but it would be an extraordinary human being to waste his talents (his self-belief is renowned) should other clubs come calling. The owners of Leicester may wish to go beyond Shakespeare - would you be tempted?

Good debate lads but for me the evidence is starting to stack up against Rafa:

Multiple expensive signings who he didn't play except as a last resort and no-one else wants to buy. We could be stuck with them on the wage bill for years. He was spending like a drunken sailor last summer, he just assumed he would be able to change them all for a couple of premiership quality players this summer. It seems other managers have more sense.

The most negative tactics I have ever seen at SJP, perhaps joint most negative with BSA, but certainly no better.

Buying more players no-one else seems to want and then can't get them performing.

Complaining about not enough investment when he has had near enough as much cash to spend as Huddersfield (to name but one) - it seems up to now they bought better players and got them playing.

The constant political posturing which is clearly unsettling the whole club.

I am seriously concerned. This isn't going to play out well I fear.

Don't worry, Crook, that Manchester City bus is en route.

It has broken down on the M6 and only has 3 wheels but it's en route! I've been assured of it by someone who is never wrong apparently.

Should be alright then ;-)

Joking apart I am more concerned by who we do buy than who we don't right now. £12M for Jacob Murphy when we already have a few wide men who are pretty decent, but not really good enough for the premiership. Seems an expensive ornament to have sitting on the bench like.

Spanish fullback no-one else wanted, a joke for the makems? Why?

Then complaining about not enough money to spend? I don't get it.