The Rafa Benitez Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The Rafa Benitez Thread

Rafa should not be beyond criticism. There are pluses and negatives. The pluses he set up a team to win The Championship which is never easy. It did not matter if it was not exciting football, the aim was promotion and it was achieved.
Some of his purchases were poor, Sels, Gamez, Lazaaar, Hanley to name a few, others were good Gayle, Ritchie so overall a mixed bag.
That squad was never going to be good enough for the Premiership and the purchases since have been uninspiring. The style of play is also negative with one up front. The defence is shaky and the goalkeepers pretty average or promising in the case of Woodman.
Generally we are too lightweight.
Rafa needs to inspire his team and bring in quality, if he cannot achieve that then he should walk rather than constantly moaning and making odd team selections. Use your squad but don't start with a completely new defence, no creation in midfield and one attacker and expect to win against a Championship side.
Are the suggested in comings, Kenedy and Preat top quality?

crooktownmags - 24/8/2017 12:13

Good debate lads but for me the evidence is starting to stack up against Rafa:

Multiple expensive signings who he didn't play except as a last resort and no-one else wants to buy. We could be stuck with them on the wage bill for years. He was spending like a drunken sailor last summer, he just assumed he would be able to change them all for a couple of premiership quality players this summer. It seems other managers have more sense.

The most negative tactics I have ever seen at SJP, perhaps joint most negative with BSA, but certainly no better.

Buying more players no-one else seems to want and then can't get them performing.

Complaining about not enough investment when he has had near enough as much cash to spend as Huddersfield (to name but one) - it seems up to now they bought better players and got them playing.

The constant political posturing which is clearly unsettling the whole club.

I am seriously concerned. This isn't going to play out well I fear.

I disagree.

Every single issue at the club has a trail which leads back to one man only and we know that isn't Rafa. There is also the tiny matter of broken promises.

Based on an agreed transfer amount after a meeting, Rafa had a plan of who he wanted in whatever position and didn't take any time off, not even a holiday. Then he personally called or visited the intended targets to get an agreement verbally which he did with the likes of Tammy Abraham and Willy Cabelero, maybe others, we dont know yet but he's been shafted for whatever reason.

Maybe the players brought in have been 5th or 6th down the list but they've been scrapped for by Rafa's messages in press conferences etc against a backdrop of a corrupt ownership who is continually expanding his portfolio on the back of being associated with us with Ashley and his cohorts thinking they know how to run a football club, which they dont. Business decisions and allowing a club to grow are completely different things all together.

As for the football being the most negative, it's not. 85 league goals last season in division 2 is not to be sniffed at and when Keegan had his teams here when we got 4, 5 and 6 quite often in a match, people complained that we couldn't defend which was again, shite. Rafa likes to build from the back rather than the front and results could certainly reflect the Keegan stats if given the chance, we may never find out though.

For me, I know Rafa can make mistakes and he has done, he'll know himself but by sticking with a plan that he thinks will work is nothing short of the bloke caring about his task. He spends hours on the smallest detail and he's got the club in it's best position off the pitch for years but isn't being backed by the right person.

Pardew played football as contained as anyone and come Summer or on the regular half days they used to put in for training, he'd fuck off somewhere playing golf or at the Grand Prix, all too willing to praise good old 'Mike' for not allowing the club to grow and just accepting the crumbs we would get from time to time in the transfer market as he knew nowt. He still put his name to it though.

Rafa cares about this club and he cares what the fans go through. I just hope he sticks around to try and bring it all crashing down if that's what it takes because since he's been on the scene, the PR shite has increased massively, so they must be worried he's on to them.

With the likes of Hanley, Lazaar etc, they were bought for the Championship. Benitez clearly stated that at the time.

Fat contracts given to those players plus the remnants of Carrs dross mean they are virtually worthless in this market. Means Ashley's promise of giving Benitez every penny received a sick joke.

Penfold has a lot to answer for.

Rafa is in phase1 of the build, after getting back to PL.

Get enough players who can do a job, in each position, that will keep us up.

When bonus money is paid next year, and 'every penny the club generates' will give him plenty in due course.

He needs to add, and I'm sure he will, enough to steer us to (comfortable, if unspectacular) safety.

Again - we started shit last season as well.

I'll wait until the window is shut before I give any sort of verdict on 'the whole' window. It's not over. OM's missus, hasn't sang yet.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 24/8/2017 16:44

Then he personally called or visited the intended targets to get an agreement verbally which he did with the likes of Tammy Abraham and Willy Cabelero, maybe others, we dont know yet but he's been shafted for whatever reason.

Toony is this an opinion or based on inside knowledge ?

Abraham said about Swansea manager Paul Clement:

“He came to my house and got to know my family. We made a decision from there that he is someone I would love to work with and he had good ambitions for me.

“That’s always nice and that’s when I decided. You get to know the coach and what he wants and what his plans are for the season and for you.

“It gives me confidence. It was a big decision and we sat down as a family and put all the facts down and decided Swansea was the place to be.

“I spoke to staff at Chelsea as well and they said Paul is a fantastic guy and is really going to improve you.”

No mention about Rafa so i'm guessing it's an opinion.

CuckFan - 24/8/2017 17:14

When bonus money is paid next year, and 'every penny the club generates' will give him plenty in due course.

He needs to add, and I'm sure he will, enough to steer us to (comfortable, if unspectacular) safety.

I'll wait until the window is shut before I give any sort of verdict on 'the whole' window. It's not over. OM's missus, hasn't sang yet.

No need for your last sentence you vile little fucking troll. Why do you persist in attacking people's families or making jokes when people are grieving ? You bang on about wanting to talk football and debate all of which nobody stops you from doing but you then make racial slurs, bring in terrorism and needless nasty shite like above. You could have just given an opinion but you had to be a spiteful **** . You couldn't help yourself Mallorcamag or Kim could you ? Don't think I've forgotten your past remarks neither , you're a shithouse fucking liar who's bottled being on this board several times you fucking coward . Do you still take great delight in explaining to your girlfriend what gay men do to each other ? Still terrified of your homosexual fantasies ? Funny how you went very quiet when your military service was brought up. The Raf wasn't it ? You better start minding your fucking manners Fuckwit .

To me Benitez is hoping fatty sacks him so he doesn't lose his compo. He keeps sniping at fatty (correct in my view) but it doesn't bode well for a manager to have a pop at the owner without consequences. I agree with others that say Benitez signings have been poor to say the least but, then again bog standard players are going for stupid money.

I personally think the only people that have a say in fatty selling up are the ones that go to the games, if they had of stayed away i would guarantee fatty would sell up, after all he wouldn't want to see his first love Shite Direct splashed all over the media in an empty stadium.

keggy_keagal - 24/8/2017 19:15

Then he personally called or visited the intended targets to get an agreement verbally which he did with the likes of Tammy Abraham and Willy Cabelero, maybe others, we dont know yet but he's been shafted for whatever reason.

I just thought it was common knowledge.

I speak to loads of people with some who reckon they know every insider and their budgie, so cant be certain where I hear any individual things at times and discount many things but im sure it was mentioned by George Caulkin, Martin Hardy or one of the more believable journalists.

In fact to elaborate further, did Rafa not meet Abraham at St George's Park on his wedding anniversary or is it just me that heard that?

keggy_keagal - 24/8/2017 19:29

CuckFan - 24/8/2017 17:14

No need for your last sentence you vile little fucking troll. Why do you persist in attacking people's families or making jokes when people are grieving ? You bang on about wanting to talk football and debate all of which nobody stops you from doing but you then make racial slurs, bring in terrorism and needless nasty shite like above. You could have just given an opinion but you had to be a spiteful **** . You couldn't help yourself Mallorcamag or Kim could you ? Don't think I've forgotten your past remarks neither , you're a shithouse fucking liar who's bottled being on this board several times you fucking coward . Do you still take great delight in explaining to your girlfriend what gay men do to each other ? Still terrified of your homosexual fantasies ? Funny how you went very quiet when your military service was brought up. The Raf wasn't it ? You better start minding your fucking manners Fuckwit .
Aye,there's some ***** on here,think you've found your particular favourite here,worth listening to wobbly heed, David Grey's track "Nemesis" for some respite.
My first game Saturday with the grandbairn.I know for a fact it's going to make me feel uneasy & that I only have 5 more to endure,at least he knows that fatties a criminal but lives for the now & his overhead kicks,as for the fuckwits...

Toon_NoMatterWot - 24/8/2017 22:44

keggy_keagal - 24/8/2017 19:15

I just thought it was common knowledge.

I speak to loads of people with some who reckon they know every insider and their budgie, so cant be certain where I hear any individual things at times and discount many things but im sure it was mentioned by George Caulkin, Martin Hardy or one of the more believable journalists.

In fact to elaborate further, did Rafa not meet Abraham at St George's Park on his wedding anniversary or is it just me that heard that?

Fair play, I do remember that being mentioned in the papers back in June.

I'm a bit confused,is there a bad case of doublespeak going on here ?

Should we ignore the media when they report negative things about Benitez,but take note when they report what looks like a made up,positive story.

Just to clarify what Tammy Abraham's himself was quoted as saying.

After returning to Chelsea in the summer, Abraham was wanted by Swansea, Newcastle and Brighton, but he revealed how a home visit from Swansea manager Paul Clement helped influence his decision.

"He came to my house and got to know my family," said Abraham. "We made a decision from there that he is someone I would love to work with and he had good ambitions for me. That's always nice and that's when I decided.

"You get to know the coach and what he wants and what his plans are for the season and for you. It gives me confidence.

"It was a big decision and we sat down as a family and put all the facts down and decided Swansea was the place to be. I spoke to staff at Chelsea as well and they said Paul is a fantastic guy and is really going to improve you."

Maybe Rafa forgot to offer Tammy free phase 1 sports direct chocolates and flowers when he called/visited and got that verbal agreement which Abraham's must have obviously renegade on.

Or maybe we are the ones being shafted,not Rafa as Toony stated.

Rafa spoke publicly today for the first time about leaving amidst talk of goalposts being moved and false promises. Hopefully he drags this on long enough to cause carnage for Ashley and brings it all crashing down once and for all.

I read it more as he can't have a long-term plan in place, as he doesn't expect fatty to be owner, long-term.

And actually that he's sticking around now, to wait and see what a new owner might desire of the club - in the hope he might inherit a man who would finance his aims, and that of the fans.

CuckFan - 25/8/2017 23:05

I read it more as he can't have a long-term plan in place, as he doesn't expect fatty to be owner, long-term.

And actually that he's sticking around now, to wait and see what a new owner might desire of the club - in the hope he might inherit a man who would finance his aims, and that of the fans.

Be brilliant if that were true but 10 years of fatso has emptied my positivity glass.

That said, there's still whispers of interest on a weekly basis but usually Ashley pisses them around.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 25/8/2017 23:15

CuckFan - 25/8/2017 23:05

Be brilliant if that were true but 10 years of fatso has emptied my positivity glass.

That said, there's still whispers of interest on a weekly basis but usually Ashley pisses them around.

Ironically Talkshite and the Mirror are reporting this story.

You know those media outlets that are the most guilty of putting negative shite out there.

A wise man once said Only knicker-wetters fall for media shite.

Tubby has already said what the club generates 'isnt enough'. I think it's weighing (the club, and football as a whole) too much on him now. He's not had as much 'fun' as his initial thoughts were all about.

He can expect to make a big buck when someone comes in with a BIG offer, such as what Citeh and other clubs have.

And, I guess that's what most people want.

I'm not sure I do, as I think once these 'play-things' of the ultra-rich become discarded toys to them - anything can happen. We've seen the likes of Manure, Chelski, and Citeh all have rich owners and move forward.....but what happens during the fall? Just 'cos it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean to say it won't.

I'm all for a change of owner; I'm just wary of 'who' and 'why'; just as I was wary when Freddy sold up to this idiot. And clearly, I was wary for good reason, even when everyone else was scrambling for him to buy us out.

I wouldn't. Every bit as much as a maniac.

You'd have said that about Fat Freddy though, I'll warrant.

I'd love a local owner, or some sort of consortium - but that's never likely to happen.